Do you think talking online is as dangerous as people think

AuthorMessage
Sara.
This Board Is My Home
Sara.
March 4th, 2006 at 06:27pm
depends on where tour talking to people. here i don't think that it's a problem but on MSN it may be a problem if you don't know the person that your talking to
Tyler
King For A Couple Of Days
Tyler
March 4th, 2006 at 08:52pm
alright...I've got something to say on this issue right now.

Somehow, my mom found my Myspace page, and made me delete it becasue I had a picture of myself an dmy headline was a quote from Mindless Self Indulgence that said 'fuck' in it. Now, she says that I shouyldn't be going on any other site "that I shouldn't be on". Now, I know she wants to protect me and all, but I use myspace for 2 things, talking to people from school and listening to music. I'm not adding every single person, nor do I provide ANY information than my screen name, which I've never gotten an IM from someone on myspace. My profile was also set to private. I really don't see what was so 'bad' about it other than the fact that I used 'fuck'. I'm not really pissed off, I just think its dumb. [/long post]
Dead End Girl
Addict
Dead End Girl
March 4th, 2006 at 09:38pm
My dad is freaked out.
Basically, he thinks I'm a moron.

Don't give out your adress
Don't give out your phone number.

Unless you know them.
Pretty much, don't be a dumbass

My dad's been trying to snoop out my brother's Myspace. It's so pathetic xD.
And he saw me on GSB once and now he's spazzing over it D:
Baguelle
Baguelle
March 4th, 2006 at 11:27pm
Not really. I think it depends on what site you're on.

And Bri says it depends who you're talking to. Very Happy
Erin; Technophile
Post Whore
Erin; Technophile

Mibba
March 4th, 2006 at 11:31pm
I believe there are SOME dangerous people on the internet. And I also thing that parents underestimate their childs ability to say no. I know IM not dumb enough to let a pedofile know my address and phone #
crimson_rose_91
Jackass
crimson_rose_91
March 5th, 2006 at 03:39pm
It can be dangerous.
But aslong as you dont give out any of your personal details you should be okay.
Dont know if my parents would like the idea of me chatting to complete strangers on here but its not as if i'm giving out my number or anything. I think its alright to talk on here because if someone starts acting weird then you just dont reply.
SARAnade
SARAnade
March 6th, 2006 at 02:33pm
Tunnys Rock And Roll G/F:
I believe there are SOME dangerous people on the internet. And I also thing that parents underestimate their childs ability to say no. I know IM not dumb enough to let a pedofile know my address and phone #

how would you know who a pedophile is, it can be hard to tell the difference. nowadays people are just NOT careful enough, take it from me, ive done a lot ive regretted. even thought the people i gave information to turned out to be who they said they were, they might notve been and i couldve been hurt or terrorized or even kidnapped, i thank god that it hasnt happened to me, but it couldve! , you just never know.
folkin' around.
folkin' around.
March 6th, 2006 at 06:36pm
Well, I think the ratio of the number of people who die relating to internet cases compared to the ratio of people who talk to strangers online would be pretty low, it's still not safe to give out personal info.

There's a chance that things could happen, and there is a lot of sickos out there, so if you don't wanna get hurt don't give out stuff like your address and all that crap.
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
March 7th, 2006 at 11:05am
hobo with a box:
Well, I think the ratio of the number of people who die relating to internet cases compared to the ratio of people who talk to strangers online would be pretty low, it's still not safe to give out personal info.

I can think of far worse things than death as a result of meeting people over the internet.

Rape. That has to be one of the worst crimes. You're not just physically harming the person, you're hurting them deep inside, a place that you cannot heal.

It isn't just the death statistics that matter; far from it.
!nsomn!ac punk
Jackass
!nsomn!ac punk
March 7th, 2006 at 01:26pm
it is only dangerous
if you make it dangerous

by meeting a person, giving address ect.
Bamf!
Jackass
Bamf!
March 7th, 2006 at 05:31pm
I think people like to sometimes strech the truth on some internet stories, but I guess for me it depends on where, what site, you're talking to people at.
folkin' around.
folkin' around.
March 7th, 2006 at 08:33pm
Bloodraine:
hobo with a box:

I can think of far worse things than death as a result of meeting people over the internet.

Rape. That has to be one of the worst crimes. You're not just physically harming the person, you're hurting them deep inside, a place that you cannot heal.

It isn't just the death statistics that matter; far from it.

When I was typing I wasn't thinking of all crimes, but when reading the topic I was thing about all crimes relating to the internet in general.
RhymesLikeDimes
RhymesLikeDimes

Mibba
March 8th, 2006 at 04:13pm
well, not as bad as everyone says...I go with my instinct, if I get a strange vibe from anyone I don't talk to them again...I haven't really gotten a bad vibe from anyone from GSB but that doesn't mean I'm not careful...you always have to be careful.
FUCK GSB
Banned
FUCK GSB
March 8th, 2006 at 09:47pm
I'm not going to read any of these posts, so what I have to say has probably been said. (Don't fucking bug me to read 9 pages though!)

The internet is a great way for everyone to have fun! You can be 2, 10, 40, 90! However old and still enjoy it.
But there are risks to it. If you go online telling people your age and address then, yes, there is a chance a 45 year old man who called himself sally online will show up at your door and rape you!
It however, is not that likely. The same thing could be done through the mial, or even over the phone!
It is however, a bit easier to say f/14/ny than to try and sound like a girl over the phone. It is also a lot easier to find the people you would do that to.
The internet, is generally safe from things like that; and if you aren't an idiot, you will be able to avoid this.
In short, no talking on the internet is not as bad as people try to make it sound.
It's simple logic with what the news tells you.
You should heed their words, but you don't need to stress out about it and live your life thinking you're gonna get fucked by sally!
dysLEXIa
dysLEXIa
March 9th, 2006 at 12:51am
Robot:
I'm not going to read any of these posts, so what I have to say has probably been said. (Don't fucking bug me to read 9 pages though!)

The internet is a great way for everyone to have fun! You can be 2, 10, 40, 90! However old and still enjoy it.
But there are risks to it. If you go online telling people your age and address then, yes, there is a chance a 45 year old man who called himself sally online will show up at your door and rape you!
It however, is not that likely. The same thing could be done through the mial, or even over the phone!
It is however, a bit easier to say f/14/ny than to try and sound like a girl over the phone. It is also a lot easier to find the people you would do that to.
The internet, is generally safe from things like that; and if you aren't an idiot, you will be able to avoid this.
In short, no talking on the internet is not as bad as people try to make it sound.
It's simple logic with what the news tells you.
You should heed their words, but you don't need to stress out about it and live your life thinking you're gonna get fucked by sally!
I completely agree with you.
HopelessAngel
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
HopelessAngel
March 11th, 2006 at 10:22am
I dont think its what everyone makes it out to seem like. Sure, there are some crazy psychopaths out there, but you can tell who they are. I mean, my best friend just doesnt approve of the fact that ive got so many friends that i still talk to online. She would kill me if i ever met them, but i really dont plan on it. You just have to be safe and if someone seems off, they probably are.
It Had to Be You.
It Had to Be You.
March 11th, 2006 at 10:28am
It can be very dangerous if you are vulnerable. You may think one of your friends are talking to you until they ask, "What's your phone number? Where do you live?" So on and so forth. You have to know that there are people out there looking for victims for their own pleasure. Just watch what you say and watch what information you give out about yourself.

Wink
newagecarny
Was Here Two Weeks Ago
newagecarny

Mibba
March 13th, 2006 at 07:38am
It all depends of the person you talk to. Even on my msn, I delete all contacts I don't talk to regularly and don't know that well.
I focus more on people I really care about.
25 contacts and damn proud of it. Retard
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
March 13th, 2006 at 11:15am
Cut[e]:
It all depends of the person you talk to. Even on my msn, I delete all contacts I don't talk to regularly and don't know that well.

I have about 6... Confused
newagecarny
Was Here Two Weeks Ago
newagecarny

Mibba
March 13th, 2006 at 01:32pm
Bloodraine:
Cut[e]:

I have about 6... Confused

Well my 25 is still nothing comparing to some people with over 200. But seriously, what's the point in having all those people on your list you never even talk to? But oh well, that's not what this topic is about..
Register