Do you think talking online is as dangerous as people think

AuthorMessage
paper shoes
This Board Is My Home
paper shoes
March 13th, 2006 at 02:28pm
Lisa. <3:
It can be very dangerous if you are vulnerable. You may think one of your friends are talking to you until they ask, "What's your phone number? Where do you live?" So on and so forth. You have to know that there are people out there looking for victims for their own pleasure. Just watch what you say and watch what information you give out about yourself.

Wink
I've given my phone number to some GSB person. I have her number too. lmfao I have alot of online people phone numbers lmfao and I'm still alive =OO
It Had to Be You.
King For A Couple Of Days
It Had to Be You.
March 13th, 2006 at 04:32pm
Harlequin Girl:
Lisa. <3:
It can be very dangerous if you are vulnerable. You may think one of your friends are talking to you until they ask, "What's your phone number? Where do you live?" So on and so forth. You have to know that there are people out there looking for victims for their own pleasure. Just watch what you say and watch what information you give out about yourself.

Wink
I've given my phone number to some GSB person. I have her number too. lmfao I have alot of online people phone numbers lmfao and I'm still alive =OO
Well, that's because the both of you have built a strong trust bond between each other. Some people give their numbers out without any common sense. But I'm glad you're still alive. Laughing Laughing
Holiday rep whore
Holiday rep whore
March 17th, 2006 at 12:27pm
I don't think it's dangerous. Only if you give that someone vital information that should be kept to yourself. Address, Postcode etc. I don't think it can do much harm to talk to people online. As long as it's someone you know and trust well.
JESSY NIGHTMARE
Idiot
JESSY NIGHTMARE
March 17th, 2006 at 02:19pm
I have REALLY close friends that I have met online. We talk on the phone. And we send each other christmas presents in the mail.

Now we developed the trust of this over 2 years. I didn't just give out all my information.

I think as long as your safe. And don't talk to anyone who asks to meet you, or for your phone number, or address admediatley. You should be fine.
billie_joe_is_a_hotti
Geek
billie_joe_is_a_hotti
March 27th, 2006 at 05:02pm
I think that as long as you don't go to like screwed up sites and chat and stuff you will be fine, and i've met lots of nice people on here and none of them have ever asked for "personal info" or anything or asked to do anything with me. But my parents think it isn't because they have never done it.
Brendon Urie..
Brendon Urie..

Mibba
March 30th, 2006 at 08:36am
Some of my best friends are people I have met online. As long as you're smart it's not as dangerous as people think it is. Sometimes it's the exact opposite.
blood
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
blood
April 1st, 2006 at 01:39am
Its not dangerous if you have common sense. I'll say where abouts I live, but not my address, just the place, and my name and age ect. Its a great way to make friends that like you for you, because unless you use a webcam or send pics of yourself, they'll never see you.

Just use your commen sense online.
GD Addicts Anonymous
Falling In Love With The Board
GD Addicts Anonymous
April 1st, 2006 at 08:32am
It can be pretty dangerous, but I think people exaggerate how dangerous it is. As long as you don't give out info and are careful about who you talk to you should be fine.
Escaped Mental Patient
Jackass
Escaped Mental Patient

Mibba
April 2nd, 2006 at 02:40pm
It really depends on the person. Not everyone is bad.
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
April 2nd, 2006 at 02:48pm
*LiL_ReBeL_AnGeL*:

becuase you can totally tell what a person is like based on their ability to press buttons on a keyboard Rolling Eyes
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
April 2nd, 2006 at 03:01pm
I_worship_tre_Cool:
*LiL_ReBeL_AnGeL*:

becuase you can totally tell what a person is like based on their ability to press buttons on a keyboard Rolling Eyes

Come on now, you know there's more to it than that.
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
April 2nd, 2006 at 03:21pm
Bloodraine:
I_worship_tre_Cool:
*LiL_ReBeL_AnGeL*:

Come on now, you know there's more to it than that.

Before I would have agreed with you, but Saturday night on the News, there was this girl who was beaten and raped by some "14 year old girl" (who turned out to be a 27 year old man) on yahoo, and now she is in the hospital and is about to have plastic surgery to reconstruct her face. He lived in the same town as her, so he said he went to a local school, and becuase he knew about sports events, and concerts, and other things, she believed him. She said they had been talking for over a year before she agreed to meet "her" and the girl had no clue. Well, its a little late to be figuring it out now......
Cupid Stunt
Geek
Cupid Stunt
April 5th, 2006 at 03:50pm
Oh please. I'm sick of people saying "don't go on chat rooms! If you do, some 57 year old pervert will come and rape you!"

You just need the common sense not to give you your address or phone nubmer. There's nothing wrong with talking to someone over the net. Hell, I find it's the safest thing to do beause they don't know you and if you don't like them, you just have to click a button and you never have to talk to them again. Simple!
brit.
Jackass
brit.
April 6th, 2006 at 12:43am
I've heard the stories of being stalked online and giving out personal information and then being raped and stuff but not many stories
I've kindof got this attitude like "it'll never happen to me" but it could happen to anyone
Just, be careful.. and don't trust anyone with all your heart..
And if you plan to meet someone make sure it is in a corwded place and someone is with you..
brit.
Jackass
brit.
April 6th, 2006 at 12:45am
I've heard the stories of being stalked online and giving out personal information and then being raped and stuff but not many stories
I've kindof got this attitude like "it'll never happen to me" but it could happen to anyone
And if you plan to meet someone make sure it is in a corwded place and someone is with you..
Lucifers Angel
Lucifers Angel
April 6th, 2006 at 07:46am
-drenched.in.my.pain-:

i have been talking to lots of people over here for a long time and one or two i have met, but i was talking to them for 3 years before i did that, and my husband came along and the one person (mIke) is the loviest guy you could ever meet. But the other one i didnt ever wnt to talk to again, so i ersed him and blocked him of my contacts list. I NEVER give my address or phone number (that would be stupid) and before anyone says "you must have met him in the intention of having sex with him" i never i met him with his wife and i was like i said with my husband.

MSN chat rooms have been shut down because i dont know if you remember that british girl and then American Soldier, she ran of to meet him and they fell in love, he was about 40 and she was 14, and there was this almighty scandal about it, and we have other cases where a girl/boy goes out and meets people and they are raped.

But i think has long has your cearful then you should be ok.
Incubus
Jackass
Incubus
April 6th, 2006 at 08:13am
I don't think talking to people online is dangerous.
Meeting people you've talked to online is.

As for people being stalked online, well you just have to be a bit trig about what you tell other people and giving out your personal information. Because clearly if you tell people that go live in blah, blah, blah and go to blahdy-blahdy school and your full name is whateverthefuck your asking for trouble.
Gustavatron.
Addict
Gustavatron.
April 6th, 2006 at 10:50am
Incubus:

As for people being stalked online, well you just have to be a bit trig about what you tell other people and giving out your personal information. Because clearly if you tell people that go live in blah, blah, blah and go to blahdy-blahdy school and your full name is whateverthefuck your asking for trouble.
The only thing about talking to people online that is dangerous is when someone says a really bad word (omg when was my last punctation? xD)... like "..." (I can't say that word. ;_; ) and you choke on your pretzel like George Bush once did, according to Rock Against Bush. xD
Brendon Urie..
Brendon Urie..

Mibba
May 6th, 2006 at 10:00am
Incubus:

I agree mostly. You shouldn't go meet someone you just met online. (Personal experience.)

But I think that if you've known them for a long time, talked to them on the phone or something and it's always the same person, their story doesn't vary and they're clearly who they say they are, then why not meet them in a public place?

I plan to.
Micro Sheep
Falling In Love With The Board
Micro Sheep
May 6th, 2006 at 02:27pm
well,there are a lot of fakers on chats&stuff......but the most stupid is to fall in love with someone you met on the internet.i have a friend who is obsessed with a guy......dunno,but it's....odd
Register