Do You Think Praying Works?

AuthorMessage
Cecilia
Had A Life Before GSB
Cecilia
September 24th, 2007 at 02:51am
Can You Say OBSESSED:
There are ways to say things without using the exact words.
"You can't say that just because few weird things happened to you"
Sure I can, so can anyone else.
"It's too easy to say "it's all about faith"

You can't discuss faith. If you have faith, you have it. And if you don't, you don't. You can't try to prove somebody's religion wrong because it is not only impossible, but disrespectful to say "praying doesn't work because there's no proof of it."

Damn, how many times do I have to repeat myself?!
I was quoting that person who said "praying does work".
Does she have proof it does? No.
Or her face would be stuck in every newspapers.
She just believes it does. But belief and proof aren't the same thing.

I'm just having an opinion, right now, different as yours. Does it mean I'm trying to prove your religion is wrong? No. Does it mean I'm disrespectful? No.
But the whole purpose of this forum is to share and debate about people's opinions.
Sylar
Falling In Love With The Board
Sylar
September 24th, 2007 at 04:51am
Micro Sheep:
Libertina Grimm:
Micro Sheep:
^ I totally think that's from Angels and Demons by Dan Brown Very Happy
I read it last year and that quote ^ rings a bell

Nah, it was from Chicken Soup for the Soul, it was pissing me off where I read it and asked mum lmfao.
Trust her to have memorised that book -.-

The skateboard thingy was there as well Cheese

Come again?
I just said that the whole thing was from CSFTS...
Billie's Willie
Billie's Willie

Mibba Blog
September 24th, 2007 at 05:49am
Can You Say OBSESSED:
Cecilia:
Damn, how many times do I have to repeat myself?!
I was quoting that person who said "praying does work".
Does she have proof it does? No.
Or her face would be stuck in every newspapers.
She just believes it does. But belief and proof aren't the same thing.

I'm just having an opinion, right now, different as yours. Does it mean I'm trying to prove your religion is wrong? No. Does it mean I'm disrespectful? No.
But the whole purpose of this forum is to share and debate about people's opinions.

I never said you didn't quote that person.

I AM THE ONE SAYING BELIEF AND PROOF AREN'T THE SAME THING!!!!
I am the one who has been saying that since the beginning!!!!!!!!
Exclamation abuse.

More than one person can say belief and proof aren't the same thing. Rolling Eyes
Billie's Willie
Billie's Willie

Mibba Blog
September 24th, 2007 at 06:38am
Can You Say OBSESSED:
However, when somebody is disagreeing with me by saying something I've already said, that's completely pointless, annoying, and unnecessary.

Very Happy Clap
Tbh, you were the one disagreeing with her, so that whole comment sounds like it's completely directed at yourself.

Very Happy Clap

Can You Say OBSESSED:
I AM THE ONE SAYING BELIEF AND PROOF AREN'T THE SAME THING!!!!
I am the one who has been saying that since the beginning!!!!!!!!
Oh, and you weren't a part of GSB in February '06, so that isn't possible. Think
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
September 25th, 2007 at 03:21pm
...After that big arguement, I'd looove to get a Scientologist on this thread.
lyrical_mess
lyrical_mess

Mibba Blog
September 25th, 2007 at 07:23pm
What do Scientologists believe abotu prayer?
Sarah!
Geek
Sarah!
September 25th, 2007 at 08:33pm
I think that when people pray they want what is troubling them or what they are asking for to happen so much that it clears their head just being able to talk and they actually solve it themselves. They think God has helped them when really it's just a thought they have, a comforting thought, that someone is there for them.

just my dos centimos
Ol' Blue Eyes.
King For A Couple Of Days
Ol' Blue Eyes.

Mibba
September 26th, 2007 at 12:59pm
Anji:
OMGyes
Oh, that would seriously make my day.
newagecarny
Was Here Two Weeks Ago
newagecarny

Mibba
September 26th, 2007 at 01:01pm
Ol' Blue Eyes.:
Anji:
OMGyes

omg lmfao
The Doctor
The Doctor

Mibba Blog
September 26th, 2007 at 07:27pm
Cobra:
Ol' Blue Eyes.:
Anji:
OMGyes

omg lmfao
...Shifty

Well...according to my school I am. tehe They let me fill in all my details this year. Either that or Paganism. Cool

I would read the previous argument...but...it's blocked from my com.

Anyway...

Um... Pray

It can help...to soothe and let some of your emotions out, y'know? Like...um...venting...to God/Gods/Alien.
newagecarny
Was Here Two Weeks Ago
newagecarny

Mibba
September 26th, 2007 at 07:42pm
Herr Doktor:
...Shifty

Well...according to my school I am. tehe They let me fill in all my details this year. Either that or Paganism. Cool

Anyway...

Um... Pray

It can help...to soothe and let some of your emotions out, y'know? Like...um...venting...to God/Gods/Alien.

Scientology both freaks me out and astounds me.
The Doctor
The Doctor

Mibba Blog
September 26th, 2007 at 07:44pm
Cobra:
Herr Doktor:
...Shifty

Anyway...

Um... Pray

Scientology both freaks me out and astounds me.
I like the idea of it. It's awesome.
Martian Girl
Banned
Martian Girl

Mibba
September 27th, 2007 at 12:37am
No, I do not. Around 54% of American adults believe that the bible is completely true, which includes the many instances of god and Jesus saying that they will answer your prayers. If you pray for your uncle with a terminal illness, guess what, he still dies. Praying may make him feel more secure, but it's a false hope. If you pray for the victims of a recent tornado or hurricane or natural disaster, guess what, you're not helping. Think of all the starving and dying children in third world countries. The religious groups that raise money for them ask for your "financial and spiritual support." The only one of those two that will work is the money, when they actually use it for the kids and not their own benefit that is. In fact, try praying for ANYTHING in a heartfelt, unselfish, non-materialistic manner. Go ahead. Anything. I guarantee that nothing will happen, and in the TINY FRACTION of a chance it does, it's purely coincidence. Yeah I know it doesn't do much good to type everything into one paragraph and not discuss it but I very rarely come here and...yeah. This is my very heartfelt opinion. You could say I'm atheist, I deny the existence of Jesus, god, and the holy ghost. In the Creation vs. Evolution matter, I support the latter. As for prayer, the only instances of it in history [besides the ones religious lunatics made and believed to have been answered] are in the bible. What supports the bible? Absolutely nothing. Millions and millions of people put their whole lives into a book that may have well been written by some desperate fiction author. They don't know. It's all based on faith, which is absolutely absurd. Almost everything that happens in the bible has happened before, in other pagan religions thousands of years before the bible was written. What if the bible is nothing more than a updated version of those religions, meant to entertain and enlighten, not cause bloodshed and brainwashing of people centuries to come. My conclusion = prayer fails.
FUCK GSB
Banned
FUCK GSB
September 27th, 2007 at 01:13am
One simple reason why the bible is wrong (and if it is right, then you're going to hell...get back in the kitchen)
GOD HATES WOMEN. God has cursed women forever, god does not want you to say anything ever.
Do you go to church? If so, you better not say anythign there! Do you work? Better quit your job and get back in the kitchen. Hope you enjoy all the pain of childbirth, and having a period. (both are a punishment from god!)

There's more :O
Almost everything relating to Jesus was taken from OTHER RELIGIONS! (not just 1 or 2...but probably 40+)

The fact that something uses magic to make everything in the world happen...use some logic there and you'll probably feel like an idiot for believing religion!

That the creation of our entire universe can be explained scientifically! (and stuff beyond our universe is well on its way to being explained)

As was said by martian girl, the fact that this happened for you is completely coincidence!
My uncle had cancer, he was an awesome person...a really good guy...lots of people around him prayed for him and he still died.

Your aunt and mom probably went to the hospital, maybe had surgery and have gone through chemotherapy. That is not a "miracle" it's science.

Religion is the cause of the death of a lot of people, and the fact that you argue that shows your ignorance.

How do you know your bible is right? Have you studied EVERY holy book ever written to determine yours is the right one? There are many obvious flaws in the christian bible, can you tell me how a book that condones slavery is good?
Or how a "loving" god can kill tens of thousands of people in an instant and be okay with it, are you saying everyone that died in the tsuanami a couple years ago deserved it? Or all the people bombed in Iraq recently deserved to die?

You ARE brainwashed if you believe in that crap.
How about you get back in the kitchen before we have to stone you?
Cecilia
Had A Life Before GSB
Cecilia
September 27th, 2007 at 01:16am
Can You Say OBSESSED:
Both my mother and my aunt had a terminal illness.
Neither of them are dead, they are both cured.
My mom has been cancer free for nearly two and a half years, and my aunt for about one year.

How do you know it's a false hope?

How do you know praying doesn't help?
Do you have proof that The Bible is not true? Do you have proof that God and Jesus are imaginary?

I am a Christian, and I am not brainwashed by anything.
So the idea of you saying that The Bible is a piece of entertainment and nothing more, and causes "bloodshed and brainwashing of people centuries to come," is quite disrespectful.

We have no proof about the Bible being not true.
We have no proof about God and Jesus' existences
Though people found more than one meaning to the Bible's content.

You find it disrespectful when people think the Bible is an entertainment.
But did you try to switch and think that people also could find disrespectful that you don't respect their point of view? :-/
FUCK GSB
Banned
FUCK GSB
September 27th, 2007 at 01:37am
Can You Say OBSESSED:

lmfao
You don't know anything about religion, do you?
Actually, I can answer that for you.
You do not.

Yes, they are both a punishment.
I do not plan on having children, though.

I do not KNOW if any religion is right.
Hence the words "faith," and belief.
Also, please get it right. As a book title, The Bible is capitilized.

I argued that religion is a cause of death?
I must have missed that.

Plenty of people who go to the hospital do not survive.
Find me proof that religion is a lie.
Find me proof that God and Jesus are false.
Find me proof that prayers don't work.
You cannot, because there is no proof.
Therefore, the fact that you are an Athiest does not make you an intellect.

You are completely uneducated on the subject of all religions, and that is obvious based on your statements that- as anyone who knows anything about Christianity could tell you- are completely false.
I would recommend educating yourself before you go off on another rant.

Wait, you're going to say MY post is uneducated?
I am not the one that needs to prove religion is wrong, or god, or prayer! YOU need to prove that religion is right, god and Jesus are real, and prayer works..religion is the one making claims, with the only evidence being one book, and hardly any actual people recording claims.
You say I'm uneducated but give NO backing arguments, actually, the only thing you did was agree with something I said.

But please, tell me how i'm uneducated? I would love to understand this.
The bible:
States that women are not equal to men.
That women are punished for eating a fruit (put on earth by god, to add temptation to these people)
Claims "everyone has free will" yet 'god' knows everything about everyone, even before they exist.
God does not punish slave owners, in fact, he helps them!
God suggests killing kids for disobeying their parents.

The list goes on and on, a lot of people claim "This is from the old testament and doesn't apply" which is a cop out! With that claim you say this:
"God, the all-knowing creature that created everything, thinks that children born before the new testament, that disobeyed their parents should be killed, but, because Jesus was hung up on a cross - everyone after this time is free and clear."

You have done nothing to prove me uneducated, all you've done is make yourself look like an idiot.
Cecilia
Had A Life Before GSB
Cecilia
September 27th, 2007 at 02:58am
Can You Say OBSESSED:
Cecilia:
Can You Say OBSESSED:
My mom has been cancer free for nearly two and a half years, and my aunt for about one year.

Do you have proof that The Bible is not true? Do you have proof that God and Jesus are imaginary?

So the idea of you saying that The Bible is a piece of entertainment and nothing more, and causes "bloodshed and brainwashing of people centuries to come," is quite disrespectful.

But did you try to switch and think that people also could find disrespectful that you don't respect their point of view? :-/

When did I deny there is more than one meaning to The Bible's content?

I never said you deny it (:
FUCK GSB
Banned
FUCK GSB
September 27th, 2007 at 03:54am
Can You Say OBSESSED:
Moral Threat:
Can You Say OBSESSED:

lmfao
You don't know anything about religion, do you?
Actually, I can answer that for you.
You do not.

Yes, they are both a punishment.
I do not plan on having children, though.

I do not KNOW if any religion is right.
Hence the words "faith," and belief.
Also, please get it right. As a book title, The Bible is capitilized.

I argued that religion is a cause of death?
I must have missed that.

Plenty of people who go to the hospital do not survive.
Find me proof that religion is a lie.
Find me proof that God and Jesus are false.
Find me proof that prayers don't work.
You cannot, because there is no proof.
Therefore, the fact that you are an Athiest does not make you an intellect.

You are completely uneducated on the subject of all religions, and that is obvious based on your statements that- as anyone who knows anything about Christianity could tell you- are completely false.

Wait, you're going to say MY post is uneducated?
I am not the one that needs to prove religion is wrong, or god, or prayer! YOU need to prove that religion is right, god and Jesus are real, and prayer works..religion is the one making claims, with the only evidence being one book, and hardly any actual people recording claims.
You say I'm uneducated but give NO backing arguments, actually, the only thing you did was agree with something I said.

But please, tell me how i'm uneducated? I would love to understand this.
The bible:
States that women are not equal to men.
That women are punished for eating a fruit (put on earth by god, to add temptation to these people)
Claims "everyone has free will" yet 'god' knows everything about everyone, even before they exist.
God does not punish slave owners, in fact, he helps them!
God suggests killing kids for disobeying their parents.

The list goes on and on, a lot of people claim "This is from the old testament and doesn't apply" which is a cop out! With that claim you say this:
"God, the all-knowing creature that created everything, thinks that children born before the new testament, that disobeyed their parents should be killed, but, because Jesus was hung up on a cross - everyone after this time is free and clear."

You have done nothing to prove me uneducated, all you've done is make yourself look like an idiot.

Yes, I am.
You clearly know nothing about religion.

I do not need to prove anything. If you don't understand what faith is, that is not my problem. I believe in certain things, and if you don't, great. I can respect that. What I cannot and will not respect is when somebody pretends to be educated about religion, and when somebody believes that because they are a certain religion, they have the right to bash anyone else.

You may not be uneducated about most things, but when it comes to Christianity, you have proven you know nothing about the religion.

Simply because I am a Christian does not mean I agree with every word written in The Bible (again, I would recommend realizing that book title's are capitilized). Also, nowhere does The Bible say "everyone born after this time is free and clear."

I have not had to do anything to prove that you are uneducated about Christianity. That you have done yourself. You have made completely false claims, and have proven yourself to be a disrespectful, narrow-minded person who refuses to believe that anybody who does not bow down to your beliefs could ever possibly be right about anything.

Congratulations on your copying and pasting skills.

So, by telling you the things said in this book, and saying that those things can be used as evidence to prove the religion is wrong, that makes me know nothing about religion?
It's great that you're Christian, I was raised Christian. Apparently YOU know nothing of religion, because you cannot make any rebuttal other than "you know nothing of religion"
Faith can not be used to prove religion, so why do you keep trying to bring it up?

Make a freaking legitimate point, or shut the hell up and go be an idiot somewhere else.
If all you can do is say "You're wrong" then you have no point, and should not be posting in a topic that requires knowledge of anything.

Copying and pasting skills, please. Rolling Eyes
FUCK GSB
Banned
FUCK GSB
September 27th, 2007 at 03:59am
Can You Say OBSESSED:
Cecilia:
Can You Say OBSESSED:

When did I deny there is more than one meaning to The Bible's content?

The opinions I don't are those like "You're wrong, I'm right, you're stupid the bible is wrong i dont need proof you do!!!!"
As I've already said, though, I have friends who are Athiest, Agnostic, Christian, Methodist... very few of my friends agree on religion. I find it VERY easy to respect other people's beliefs. However, when somebody tells me I am "brainwashed" for believing something they don't, I find it VERY difficult to respect that kind of statement.

WAIT you have a problem with people saying that to you, but it's okay for you to say something similar? Nice one, hypocrite.
Would like to know WHY religion needs to be the one to prove their correct?
This is a great concept, hopefully you'll be able to comprehend it.
Religion, makes claims that a magical being decided one day to create everything that exists? How does he do it? Magic, of course (although that's not what your books would call it) He then decides to give laws, and souls to ONE (out of countless) species, puts them on earth, and over time has people write a book about his laws. (A book filled with things that are morally wrong to any sane person) This species then has to follow these laws, and pray to a being that they can't see, hear, or really communicate with at all. I could continue if you'd like, but hopefully you will now be able to understand why it is not I, but you who needs to provide evidence.
FUCK GSB
Banned
FUCK GSB
September 27th, 2007 at 05:47am
Can You Say OBSESSED:
=/

Where are you getting this stuff from?

There is no evidence that shows religion is or is not true.

The reason all I have said to you is that you know nothing about religion is because you have made that quite obvious.
I see no need to try and defend against false claims you make.

I have not called anybody brainwashed. I have not disrespected anybody's religious beliefs.
Everybody is entitled to have whatever faith they so choose.

I also do not believe you are wrong. I do not believe Buddhism is wrong, nor Athiesm, nor any other religion.
It is a matter of faith.
In which there will never be a proven right or wrong.
Hence the word "faith."

I keep bringing up faith because you have yet to comprehend that faith is religion.
There is no possible way to prove or disprove ANY religion.
I believe in one thing, you believe in another.
One religion works for my life, a different one works for yours.
I am not the one saying only one person is right.

The only people who need to provide evidence are those who claim that there is such evidence.
Meaning you.

When there is evidence that certain religions are WRONG, which there is, i've shown you some of the things that help to prove Christianity is wrong, yet you won't even listen. The fact that Christianity is wrong, is a very important thing to know, faith does not matter when the religion is wrong. Having faith in bullshit is stupid. If you can't disprove a religion, then you can't make any claims against it, Christianity can be proven to be the incorrect religion.

There, I repeated myself a couple times in slightly different ways in this post. Maybe now you'll understand?
if not:
Your religion = wrong - some of the reasons it's wrong i told you in previous posts
Faith is not important when the religion is obviously a waste of time.

Don't be so foolish, there is more to religion than faith. Also, I don't know why i'm arguing with you, from the things you've said, it proves that you are not a Christian. Completely disregarding the laws of the bible is how you show that you are not Christian.
Also, there WILL be a proven right or wrong, this is proven by every religion as well! The end of time will tell what is correct. But we already know that some are wrong, Christianity is one of them, Judaism, Catholicism, Ancient religions...etc

I'll say it again, if a religion is wrong, it should be known.
So far the only thing that has even slightly proven itself to be correct, is atheism.
Not going to go into a science lesson here. But more and more of everything can be explained every day, and it isn't because of a god.

I'll try to explain some more as to how religion can be proven wrong.
We, as civilized humans, know that sexism is wrong, right? The Christian god is sexist. That's just one reason. But that reason alone is enough to prove it!
Register