Do You Think Praying Works?

AuthorMessage
Kaede
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
Kaede
October 7th, 2007 at 10:14am
There's nothing wrong with praying though personally I believe it doesn't work. If you pray for something and it happens, its a pure coincidence. But just like Harry Cunningham said, "people have their own belief and stuff."
TheBeginner
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
TheBeginner
October 7th, 2007 at 03:12pm
FOr me if you pray nothing will happen, just immagine you pray for money and suddenlty it is raining money ^^

well as i said before i can see praying as meditaion and focusing on own problems

best to you all

TheBeginner
newagecarny
Was Here Two Weeks Ago
newagecarny

Mibba
October 7th, 2007 at 03:16pm
TheBeginner:

well as i said before i can see praying as meditaion and focusing on own problems

I don't see how those two are even remotely similar.
TheBeginner
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
TheBeginner
October 7th, 2007 at 03:33pm
Cobra:
TheBeginner:

I don't see how those two are even remotely similar.

Who tells that thay have to be similiar? Very Happy

You can not denie meditation...
As focusing on own problems, we can discuss on that, becuase it is still a theroy of mine, i know enough people who tell me they feel down but they do not really know why, yes , of course of the same old shit but there is something else,
if you pray, you can get relaxed and thoughts on that topic come from nowere , and "suddently" you "know" why ....

i do not indend saying that it works for everyone, i just tried to explain why somebody could pray...

eveyone has his own ways

the best to you all

TheBeginner
newagecarny
Was Here Two Weeks Ago
newagecarny

Mibba
October 7th, 2007 at 03:41pm
TheBeginner:

Who tells that thay have to be similiar? Very Happy

You can not denie meditation...
As focusing on own problems, we can discuss on that, becuase it is still a theroy of mine, i know enough people who tell me they feel down but they do not really know why, yes , of course of the same old shit but there is something else,
if you pray, you can get relaxed and thoughts on that topic come from nowere , and "suddently" you "know" why ....

i do not indend saying that it works for everyone, i just tried to explain why somebody could pray...

eveyone has his own ways

I know how meditation works, I'm buddhist.
focusing on our problems and praying to a holy being you believe in which you think will help you solve those problems is a completely different thing.
TheBeginner
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
TheBeginner
October 7th, 2007 at 04:38pm
Cobra:

I know how meditation works, I'm buddhist.
focusing on our problems and praying to a holy being you believe in which you think will help you solve those problems is a completely different thing.

I am not tellig to pray in a holy being lol Very Happy, i mean that we have to pray to ouerselfs, at the end it is nothing else, because we are the only one who hear our prayers

oh that is indeet interesting , buddhist, i thought you would be something like that,

i hope you are not one of those fashion lets be buddhist or lets belive in kabbhala people... it is getting like a fashion in the usa and in europe but mostly in the usa

greetz

TheBeginner
newagecarny
Was Here Two Weeks Ago
newagecarny

Mibba
October 7th, 2007 at 06:44pm
TheBeginner:

i thought you would be something like that,

how? Did something give me away?

TheBeginner:

i hope you are not one of those fashion lets be buddhist or lets belive in kabbhala people... it is getting like a fashion in the usa and in europe but mostly in the usa

Don't question someone's reasons for turning to a certain religion. Did you ever think all those people actually found themselves in that religion and agree with what it represents? Just because there has been a renewed interest in Kabbalah among non-traditional Jews, and even among non-Jews doesn't mean they don't sincerely believe in it.

Also, this is the first time I hear Buddhism is trendy.
TheBeginner
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
TheBeginner
October 8th, 2007 at 05:14pm
I do not know if you are offended, if yes please let me excuse myself sincerely!

Yeah, in fact those two religions are getting trendy, i am not joking, of course there are lots of people who can really belive in it i just "condammed" those who do it on fashion....

I for myself have respect for buddhismus, i do feel more connected to it as to christianity, but at the end i do not really belive in one specific religion, i just see that there are so many parallels between them at the end they just write the same thing in a different way or in a bad/better way...

pls tell me if i am wrong, but as far as i know , buddhismus is not really the standart "religion" but you know... more a philosophy, observation of life and how to do better with it....

Very Happy, i am drifting away from the main topic... sry Smile but the praying question is for me done....

greetz

TheBeginner
newagecarny
Was Here Two Weeks Ago
newagecarny

Mibba
October 8th, 2007 at 07:47pm
TheBeginner:

pls tell me if i am wrong, but as far as i know , buddhismus is not really the standart "religion" but you know... more a philosophy, observation of life and how to do better with it....

It's a teaching.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
October 9th, 2007 at 05:25pm
Meditation is no where near the same thing as praying, even praying to yourself. Meditation is the total sense of being one with yourself and nature and God if you believe in Him. With meditation, you must clear your mind and your senses, detach yourself from any ouside distractions and merely exist. As Decartes said, 'I think therefore, I am', yet if you neither think nor be, but still exist, what are you? That is when become one with nature.

Meditation and Buddhism is nowadays a popular philosophy, not just because of how insightful it is, or the publicity given to it by celebrities, but also because in this world where humans are continually detaching themselves from Nature, Buddhism is radically different by reinstigating the bond between Man and Nature.

However, I do believe that meditation is impossible. It's possible to try, but almost impossible to achieve. The infamous poet, Keats, wrote that one poem about the song of the nightingale (I forget the title.), where he boasted about how he connected to nature and becamse one with the bird's song, irrationally becoming non-existant and existant at the same time. This is obviously the biggest fib he has told, because it's just impossible to do this. And I don't mean to achieve a mere state of being or enlightenment, that may be possible. The thing is that Keats tries to rationalize the irrational through his poetry, and through language, which works in a rational manner. This is impossible because language is simply too inadequate to rationalise the irrational which is impossible anyway, by definition.

That's my meditation rant.
paper shoes
This Board Is My Home
paper shoes
December 31st, 2007 at 04:28pm
I agree with this tbh.

Meski
Addict
Meski

Blog
December 31st, 2007 at 05:20pm
I agree 100% with that video.
nyeh.
Addict
nyeh.

Blog
December 31st, 2007 at 07:52pm
ITS PSYCHOLOGICAL? Cheese
Thats always what I thought. If you're really devout and pray for something like good health then... you'll eventually get it by your own doing. Sometimes. Not all the time.
Meski
Addict
Meski

Blog
January 3rd, 2008 at 07:06am
Holy Hell, I'm Liz.:
ITS PSYCHOLOGICAL? Cheese
Thats always what I thought. If you're really devout and pray for something like good health then... you'll eventually get it by your own doing. Sometimes. Not all the time.
Yes. It's like "Oh please God I want a pay raise from my boss tomorrow, Amen" and tomorrow you will know that one of those days you will get the raise, so you will start working hard to achieve it. idk, that's what I think.
miau
King For A Couple Of Days
miau
January 23rd, 2008 at 09:20am
I don't want to sound like a smartarse, however, what most of you are posting about isn't praying. Its begging.

Praying means talking to God, our father. It's telling him about your day, telling what you are worried about, what you enjoyed and are thankful for, and yes, as a part of a prayer, asking for things.

It's like talking to your dad. If you're talking to your dad, asking for things isn't all you do, is it? (and if it is, then that's actually quite sad, in my opinion.) You tell him what's bothering you because you know he understands and is there to comfort you.

Most people mistake the Lord for a kind of wish automat and go like "Oh please, God, I want a million dollars." and then expect the money to fall down from heaven what of course won't happen. And then they decide they no longer believe in God because their wishes don't come true.

So yes, I think praying works. But only if you believe in it and if you let the Lord decide when and how he's going to help.

Wow. I sounded like a bitch at some points. Molly
The Doctor
Falling In Love With The Board
The Doctor

Mibba Blog
January 23rd, 2008 at 02:38pm
Nobodi:
I don't want to sound like a smartarse, however, what most of you are posting about isn't praying. Its begging.

Praying means talking to God, our father. It's telling him about your day, telling what you are worried about, what you enjoyed and are thankful for, and yes, as a part of a prayer, asking for things.

It's like talking to your dad. If you're talking to your dad, asking for things isn't all you do, is it? (and if it is, then that's actually quite sad, in my opinion.) You tell him what's bothering you because you know he understands and is there to comfort you.

Most people mistake the Lord for a kind of wish automat and go like "Oh please, God, I want a million dollars." and then expect the money to fall down from heaven what of course won't happen. And then they decide they no longer believe in God because their wishes don't come true.

So yes, I think praying works. But only if you believe in it and if you let the Lord decide when and how he's going to help.

Wow. I sounded like a bitch at some points. Molly
S'pose as such. You can't get it? Pray for it! You can't find your keys? Pray for them!

Introducing the Pray-o-matic! With added promptness!

But I still think that as humans get more fixated on the goods they have, the more they want God to be a Genie than a heavenly body.

What I really like is Fortuna, Roman Goddess of Luck and Fortune. She is often depicted wearing a blindfold as her good and bad fortune was given to anyone, regardless of who they were. They still believed in her and worshipped her.

I guess you could bring in that whole...Job chapter into this. Yep.

I still think it's just a comfort blanket but hey, what do I know? I thought I saw a Sea Devil in my bath tub last night.
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
January 23rd, 2008 at 02:42pm
Nobodi:

By that logic, praying has to work. If there is no defined outcome of prayer, then it will never fail and it can always succeed.
I'mComing.BeScared.
King For A Couple Of Days
I'mComing.BeScared.
January 24th, 2008 at 03:02pm
Well... Praying works sometimes.... I meant an exorcism or something like that.
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
January 24th, 2008 at 03:03pm
SunsetOverMonroevile:
Shocked Now, Im not Christian, but I don't think an exorcism is exactly the same thing as praying... is it?
worn-out astronaut.
Had A Life Before GSB
worn-out astronaut.

Mibba Blog
January 24th, 2008 at 04:23pm
Kurtni:
SunsetOverMonroevile:
Shocked Now, Im not Christian, but I don't think an exorcism is exactly the same thing as praying... is it?
.................no. Smile
Register