Dress codes

AuthorMessage
Ol' Blue Eyes.
King For A Couple Of Days
Ol' Blue Eyes.

Mibba
December 7th, 2007 at 12:49am
I went to a public high school because my parents would rather have saved their money to pay for my college education. And many kids who attended school with me didn't have money to spend on lunches, let alone a uniform.

At a private school, you pay tuition, and you accept their rules. In most cases, this includes a uniform.

There's a big difference.
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
December 7th, 2007 at 08:35pm
Herr Doktor:
Kurtni:
But you can't speak "for the community as a whole".

Kurtni:
when all the tax-paying parents don't approve of them.

Kurtni:
The school board is responsible for representing what their community wants,

Your earlier posts contradict you. You assumed that everyone would be against it - as far as I could see.

How did I assume anything. I said when they don't approve, not that they won't approve. And the school board is responsible for representing what the community wants... how is that a contradiction at all?
Ol' Blue Eyes.:
I went to a public high school because my parents would rather have saved their money to pay for my college education. And many kids who attended school with me didn't have money to spend on lunches, let alone a uniform.

At a private school, you pay tuition, and you accept their rules. In most cases, this includes a uniform.

Exactly Con
Green Day!
Geek
Green Day!
December 8th, 2007 at 03:27am
my school has a uniform, i don't know what it's like to not have a school uniform. if we could wear anything to school, it would be cool but then we'd have to repeat our clothes and it'll get boring after a while because everyone has seen all your clothes and you can't just keep buying new ones.
Billie's Willie
Billie's Willie

Mibba Blog
December 8th, 2007 at 06:50am
Green Day!:
my school has a uniform, i don't know what it's like to not have a school uniform. if we could wear anything to school, it would be cool but then we'd have to repeat our clothes and it'll get boring after a while because everyone has seen all your clothes and you can't just keep buying new ones.
But....isn't wearing the same uniform day after day a bit repetitive as well?
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
December 8th, 2007 at 01:20pm
Ol' Blue Eyes.:

It was kinda the other way around for me. The private school I wen to wasn't too expensive and the Catholic school was of course really cheap, and the uniform helped because I had basically like two uniform outfits which would take up five days of the week and with only two days left, I had less stuff to wear. When I went to a school with a uniform, my expenses on clothes cut down by over two thirds of how much I spend on clothes. This was because I simply didn't need clothes at all. I have my uniform, which I bought once, and wore almost the entire time for the rest of the year, maybe even into the next year.
strummer92
Jackass
strummer92
December 10th, 2007 at 03:41am
Hmm well when i lived in Los Angeles we were requiered to wear uniforms if you could afford it (public school) and my family could so i wore one and it was just a polo t shirt and skirt or pants.
After a while the school changed its policy and the uniforms were dropped
Im glad it was because having 2 wardrobes was a hassle
As for "uniforms make a better learning enviorment" i slightly dissagree because kids find other things to tease or bicker about at school
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
December 10th, 2007 at 12:40pm
But by wearing uniforms, kids have been shown to be more attentive in school. I've observed this to be true, as I've posted it like dozens of times on this thread already. Sure there will always be something to pick on, but there is one less thing and it's kinda a biggie to, judging by the way some people on this thread massively support their freedom to wear whatever they like.
Drummergirl
Idiot
Drummergirl
December 12th, 2007 at 04:06am
non uniforms spread individuality. i'd never like wearing a uniform and the the school expense's. So too much money then having to wash it every night think of the water bill. so i'd rather wear my clothes than some uniform. but fashion is not all i think about so doesn't really matter to me unless i have to wear a uniform other than that im okay
The Doctor
Falling In Love With The Board
The Doctor

Mibba Blog
December 12th, 2007 at 12:11pm
Drummergirl:
non uniforms spread individuality. i'd never like wearing a uniform and the the school expense's. So too much money then having to wash it every night think of the water bill. so i'd rather wear my clothes than some uniform. but fashion is not all i think about so doesn't really matter to me unless i have to wear a uniform other than that im okay
Water bill?

Your house is taxed for water and sewage costs depending on the number of people living in said household and the age of the houseowner or tenant.

And if you center individuality on what you wear, that's pretty shallow.
norwegian wood.
Geek
norwegian wood.
December 12th, 2007 at 09:37pm
Apparently my school's reason for not allowing extreme hairstyles/colors not found in the natural hair spectrum, no facial piercings, etc, is because it "affects our learning". We're also not allowed to keep our jackets on and it's like, 5 degrees right now. I pointed out to my maths teacher that I would work better if I wasn't cold, and I wouldn't be cold if I kept my jacket on. He just yelled. Pssh.
However, I don't care that I have to wear a uniform, I kind of like my uniform apart from my blazer which I haven't worn for the past two months. I agree that in my school if everyone wore their own clothes everyday, people would get teased a lot. You know how on non-uniform days, there's always one person everyone is like "oh my god what the hell is she wearing?" That's gonna happen to everyone at least once if there's no uniform.
Drummergirl
Idiot
Drummergirl
December 13th, 2007 at 12:23am
Herr Doktor:
Drummergirl:
Water bill?

Your house is taxed for water and sewage costs depending on the number of people living in said household and the age of the houseowner or tenant.

actually no i don't center individuality on what people wear, i was saying water bill because i've researched this stuff,and water does add to the expenses. I don't center people on what they wear. i just don't like uniforms thats it. i just think it's a hassle to take care of them but of course i wouldn't know that because well i have never worn a uniform
Mass-suicide
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
Mass-suicide
December 13th, 2007 at 12:57am
I think evryone should wear anything of their choice etc tie/hat but with school logos
i hate dress codes i can';t waer my green day hat :'(
The Doctor
Falling In Love With The Board
The Doctor

Mibba Blog
December 13th, 2007 at 11:56am
Drummergirl:
Herr Doktor:
Drummergirl:
Water bill?

actually no i don't center individuality on what people wear, i was saying water bill because i've researched this stuff,and water does add to the expenses. I don't center people on what they wear. i just don't like uniforms thats it. i just think it's a hassle to take care of them but of course i wouldn't know that because well i have never worn a uniform

There isn't a system to moniter how much water you use. It's worked out theoretically by some admin person called Shelley or Dave.

And you just need to wash and iron it. Like all of the other clothes.

And you said:

Drummergirl:
non uniforms spread individuality.

Sounds like it, dude.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
December 13th, 2007 at 02:04pm
If you're so worried about water bills, don't use your laundry machine. I hand wash my clothes. It's surprisingly fast and a hell of a lot cheaper. I don't even have the money to by a laundry machine in the first place. Lol.
Drummergirl
Idiot
Drummergirl
December 14th, 2007 at 12:26am
im saying this all wrong. Im gonna shut up about what i don't know because i don't know this. I dont judge people on what they wear. I never have. I dont know anything about this. so it would be best if i just shut my mouth.
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
December 14th, 2007 at 05:18pm
Drummergirl:
im saying this all wrong. Im gonna shut up about what i don't know because i don't know this. I dont judge people on what they wear. I never have. I dont know anything about this. so it would be best if i just shut my mouth.
No, it would be best if you researched the topic so you understood it. Just ignoring things you don't understand isn't good either. I'm sure some of the posters in this thread would kindly answer any questions you have. Con
MikesCoffeeCup
Geek
MikesCoffeeCup

Mibba
December 21st, 2007 at 03:08am
school uniforms take away the right to express ourselves.
they are also an easy way to get kids rebel XD
Squid.
Squid.

Blog
September 23rd, 2009 at 11:15pm
I think the whole "Oh, we can't express ourselfs blahblahblah" is stupid, you don't always have to wear them, after school and weeknds you have your pick on anything.

I just don't like the thought of uniforms, because I don't like being told what to wear, flat out.

I just think that there should be dress codes to restrict anything that's not appropriate.

Like shortshorts, and extremly baggy pants.
You know.
Sherlock Holmes
Addict
Sherlock Holmes
September 25th, 2009 at 10:44am
Our college section had a non-form day today Very Happy.
Still prefer my school clothes though.....
Squid.
Squid.

Blog
September 26th, 2009 at 04:17pm
Hmmm, how odd.
So you like them?
Register