Dress codes

AuthorMessage
ColleenStarship
Addict
ColleenStarship
August 2nd, 2007 at 08:15pm
Billie's Willie:

They could have kept the bomb out if they enforced their own rules instead of making up new, useless ones.
And I'm already done with school.

rules like that are to help prevent stuff like from happening.
they wouldn't have the rule unless it was needed.
then why complain?
Billie's Willie
Billie's Willie

Mibba Blog
August 2nd, 2007 at 08:32pm
ColleenStarship:
then why complain?

This is a discussion thread. I'll talk about what went on in my school if I damn well feel like it.
L Lawliet
Idiot
L Lawliet
August 2nd, 2007 at 09:16pm
I actually don't mind dress codes, having to wear uniforms at school.
miau
King For A Couple Of Days
miau
October 31st, 2007 at 04:28pm
At my school we don't have to wear a uniform.
I personally couldn't imagine wearing one, too. I love neon colours and patterns and I like to stand out at least a little bit. I don't think I would feel comfortable if everyone would look "just like me" (I mean, of course they won't look exactly the same). At my school there's also neither people who dress extremely provocant nor bullying because of designer clothes so a uniform isn't necessary and I'm happy with that..

Anyway I think that some rules should be followed though. Like, you just can't turn up to your lessons wearing, I don't know, a bikini for example. It seems just disrespectful to me, just like wearing...rags to your aunt's wedding or something.

I'm not saying anything against 'punk' people, bright coloured hair and such, but you should always show at least a little respect to your teachers.

I can already tell this is going to be misunderstood. Coolio But I don't know how to express it differently.
Rachii!
Rachii!
November 2nd, 2007 at 12:33am
We have people with piercings and bright hair around school, I'm not sure if they get in trouble, but I don't see why they should.
Also, we're not allowed to wear skinny jeans to school but both the Head Boy and Head Girl do.
And the kids that the teachers seem scared of don't get told off for wearing shellsuits, which is a bit ridiculous.
Diana_a7x
Geek
Diana_a7x

Blog
November 2nd, 2007 at 03:55pm
I'm also writing an essay about this.
Some kid said "This is america, I have the right to wear whatever i want"

Ignorant.
Boo Radley
Idiot
Boo Radley

Blog
November 28th, 2007 at 08:46pm
My school has a uniform, as most schools do in Britain. I'm in two minds about it, 'cause there's always the point to be made that everyone looking the same means kids feel the need to become individual by thier personality, a more difficult thing to do, keep up and be genuine with than buying some plaid trousers and punching holes in thier nose(or tie-dying an oversize t-shirt, or wearing pink from head to foot). That said, individuality in dress is something to be encouraged, i think. As teenagers, we're all striving for either originality or acceptance, and if someone chooses the path of originality, then the look they create for themselves can be... well, creative. It's expressing yourself. You can do it out of school, why not in school?
One reason is that it could be distracting. Someone comes into school in an extreme outfit, the concentration of thier classmates may wander to the outfit rather than the lesson. Also, not worrying about how you look because you know how you look, you've been wearing this stuff day in, day out since you started the school, is probably better for your concentration in lessons than expressing your individuality through what you wear.

My school's uniform is very strict. But i have hair so long i can sit on it that refuses to form itself into a style or choose between straight or wavy, that does not look at all smart and does not improve my concentration. But it is a natural colour and no part of my head is bald, so they can't and won't do jack shit about it. To be honest, i think that's a better way to go about it than dying it green and giving yourself liberty spikes, and having to go home and shave your head.
Jax.
Was Here Two Weeks Ago
Jax.
November 29th, 2007 at 10:08pm
I lived in England with a uniform and in America with no uniform.

Think I don't think I can compare them at all because cultures are completely different.

I think uniforms are a good thing until 16. They reduce bullying and you don't have to stress about what you're going to wear the next day. Cheese

Before coming into 6th form, I was really worried about what I was going to wear and that I'd have to try really hard everyday.

But within a week, we all just gave up and wore crappy clothes so that our nicer clothes were kept for the weekends or special occasions.
yellowstickerface
Geek
yellowstickerface
November 30th, 2007 at 09:21am
I think uniforms are an important part on getting a good education.
It would be too much of a distration.
But the occasional Casual Dress days are great.
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
November 30th, 2007 at 08:18pm
yellowstickerface:
I think uniforms are an important part on getting a good education.
It would be too much of a distration.
But the occasional Casual Dress days are great.
I don't have a uniform, and I get a great education everyday. If someone gets distracted easily enough in school that clothes cause them problems, they probably have an attention hyperactivty disorder, and uniforms won't solve that.

In a public school, kids have no choice but to go there. A public school shouldn't be allowed to mandate a uniform. A private school however, its a students choice to go there, and if they choose to go there they accept all their regulations as well.
The Doctor
Falling In Love With The Board
The Doctor

Mibba Blog
December 1st, 2007 at 11:24am
Kurtni:
In a public school, kids have no choice but to go there. A public school shouldn't be allowed to mandate a uniform.

Why? The public school (ie State school for my homies in ol' UKistan) I go to wear uniform and that works fine. It's hardly expensive stuff we have and it makes the whole place seem more...well...tidy and smart. It really hides the fact that our school is skint, which is good. It also gets students of a lesser intelligence and willingness to learn used to the idea of wearing a uniform as many jobs have uniforms which they will be expected to wear. It's the same with the armed forces, the emergency services etc. Even jobs where there is no set dress code, you are expected to wear something of a certain standard like you wouldn't turn up for work in court in baggy jeans and chains and a lip ring - it just doesn't work and doesn't show proper respect like to the judge and all that man.

I say that you might as well get used to wearing something that vaguely resembles your peers as you never know where you will end up working.
Verbatim.
Verbatim.
December 2nd, 2007 at 07:14pm
I quite liked my school uniform tehe but I'm in College now, and we don't wear them.

But, I do have a huge problem with my work uniform. They're very sexist. Girls have to wear skirts, we're not allowed to wear pants. And it's a really ugly, outdated uniform. It's also impractical, like when we have to go to the warehouse to collect stock, it's not really safe to be climbing up high ladders in a knee length skirt.
Diana_a7x
Geek
Diana_a7x

Blog
December 3rd, 2007 at 03:54pm
Start Something.:
I quite liked my school uniform tehe but I'm in College now, and we don't wear them.

But, I do have a huge problem with my work uniform. They're very sexist. Girls have to wear skirts, we're not allowed to wear pants. And it's a really ugly, outdated uniform. It's also impractical, like when we have to go to the warehouse to collect stock, it's not really safe to be climbing up high ladders in a knee length skirt.

Have you questioned the staff about it? Laughing
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
December 3rd, 2007 at 08:16pm
Herr Doktor:
Kurtni:
In a public school, kids have no choice but to go there. A public school shouldn't be allowed to mandate a uniform.

Why?

Because students have no choice but to go there (in the case of the US at least). You're assigned a public school and the rules and regulations in it should refelct those desired by the students. It would be unfair to mandate things like uniforms when all the tax-paying parents don't approve of them. Like I said, private school would be different because you choose to go there and you choose to accept their regulations.
The Doctor
The Doctor

Mibba Blog
December 4th, 2007 at 12:04pm
Kurtni:
Because students have no choice but to go there (in the case of the US at least). You're assigned a public school and the rules and regulations in it should reflect those desired by the students. It would be unfair to mandate things like uniforms when all the tax-paying parents don't approve of them. Like I said, private school would be different because you choose to go there and you choose to accept their regulations.
You can't really honestly believe that.

Students have very little say besides those who attend PTA meetings. Even then, they are heavily outnumbered and I believe that a lot of parents would prefer having a uniform than to not. It doesn't cost much in taxes (Here, it's nothing. I checked.) and is relatively cheap if all the unifrom consists of is a tie, shirt and some description of clothing for the bottom half. It doesn't mean that they have to go all out and get blazers or those awful plaid skirts. Just a plain white shirt, black trousers (Or a skirt if you prefer) and a tie that would probably cost something like $5.
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
December 4th, 2007 at 08:20pm
Herr Doktor:
Kurtni:
Because students have no choice but to go there (in the case of the US at least). You're assigned a public school and the rules and regulations in it should reflect those desired by the students. It would be unfair to mandate things like uniforms when all the tax-paying parents don't approve of them. Like I said, private school would be different because you choose to go there and you choose to accept their regulations.
You can't really honestly believe that.

Students have very little say besides those who attend PTA meetings. Even then, they are heavily outnumbered and I believe that a lot of parents would prefer having a uniform than to not. It doesn't cost much in taxes (Here, it's nothing. I checked.) and is relatively cheap if all the unifrom consists of is a tie, shirt and some description of clothing for the bottom half. It doesn't mean that they have to go all out and get blazers or those awful plaid skirts. Just a plain white shirt, black trousers (Or a skirt if you prefer) and a tie that would probably cost something like $5.
Well, yes, I can, seeing as how I just posted it. I didn't say students should have the say, I said parents. Hence why it's called a Parent-teacher association, and that isn't even what I was refering to. The school board is responsible for representing what their community wants, not the Parent teacher association, they're two seperate things, here at least. Whats cheap to one person might not be to another. If a student already has an entire wardrobe of casual clothes at home, it would be ridiculous to ask them to go buy different clothes to attend a public school.
The Doctor
The Doctor

Mibba Blog
December 5th, 2007 at 02:08pm
Kurtni:
Well, yes, I can, seeing as how I just posted it. I didn't say students should have the say, I said parents. Hence why it's called a Parent-teacher association, and that isn't even what I was refering to. The school board is responsible for representing what their community wants, not the Parent teacher association, they're two seperate things, here at least. Whats cheap to one person might not be to another. If a student already has an entire wardrobe of casual clothes at home, it would be ridiculous to ask them to go buy different clothes to attend a public school.
I don't think it is. If the student already has an entire wardrobe then I don't think a smart set of clothes is too out of the ordinary. I mean, they could use it anytime there is a funeral or something of equal magnitude.

Also, here we have something called a uniform allowance where students with less income (such as myself) get £50 at the start of the year to buy clothes. And considering that, naturally, clothes will wear-and-tear during the year, it isn't exactly expensive to replace things, coming from a "poor" background.

And I think that the community as a whole would like to see uniforms as they can spot truanters easily and tell which school they come from, they look smarter and will get them geared towards working life because if someone would get too upset wearing a unifrom to school then I dread to think how they will react when they are confronted with a strict dress code or a uniform if they get a part-time job.
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
December 5th, 2007 at 08:11pm
Herr Doktor:

And I think that the community as a whole
But you can't speak "for the community as a whole". You're only one person... it depends on each individual community. Im sure you could find surveys of towns/cities yeilding both results, its a personal preference.
JAR201
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
JAR201
December 5th, 2007 at 10:22pm
i also had to do a paper on this awhile back.....and this is coming from someone who wore a uniform for 14 years!!

i said that pro for no uniforms because it lets kids artistically express themselves but i also had a pro for uniforms..it decreases cool clothes competition, is cheaper, and makes the school seem more respectable.
The Doctor
The Doctor

Mibba Blog
December 6th, 2007 at 02:06pm
Kurtni:
But you can't speak "for the community as a whole".

Kurtni:
when all the tax-paying parents don't approve of them.

Kurtni:
The school board is responsible for representing what their community wants,

Your earlier posts contradict you. You assumed that everyone would be against it - as far as I could see.
Register