Body image

AuthorMessage
Gillian
King For A Couple Of Days
Gillian
May 31st, 2005 at 11:36am
I was researching body image etc. for an essay I have to write, and came across this:

"AS SARAH*, 25, sat in her bedroom and removed a small piece of wire from the drawer beside her bed, she felt a familiar wave of excitement. She slowly placed the wire in her mouth and used it to scratch the back of her throat, overcome with relief that now her throat would be too sore for her to eat.

For several years, Sarah had been damaging her throat to stop her eating. This daily habit eventually gave her a ruptured blood vessel, but even that wasn’t enough to make her stop.

Shocking as it is, Sarah’s story is not unique. A worrying new trend is emerging among women suffering from Extreme Eating Disorders who are so desperate to be thinner they will try anything - however dangerous or irrational.

Some devour tissues or cotton wool to stop them feeling hungry. Others go as far as using syringes to remove blood (known as blood-letting) in the unfounded belief it can make them lose weight. Many take pills such as diuretics, which make them urinate more frequently and can damage the bladder."

I would post the link for more of the story and other interesting articles, but it's a site you have to join up to in order to view it.
carrot
Idiot
carrot
June 1st, 2005 at 06:03am
my mum think...sorry i mean said to me that im fat....im ugly and that i will end up like blubber....it hurts coz then she says that im not ...then that i am again
it then gets to point where i scream and shout at her...not a nice thing to be in
->Insert Name Here<
Idiot
->Insert Name Here<
June 3rd, 2005 at 09:10am
I agree that the media is causing these issues with body image. This is because people like Paris Hilton are portrayed to have the perefect body, but then where they find the slightest thing wrong it is plastered everywhere and then that adds more to the pressure of looking perfect. That then leds to things such as eating disorders or cosmetic surgery.
But you gotta admit that once in a while you will feel pretty down about your body image, it happens to everybody.
EchoBrain
Falling In Love With The Board
EchoBrain
June 3rd, 2005 at 09:22am
spill_no_sick:
I don't think the media is trying to tell us this
it's just the way we percieve what the media says

I think the problem lies within people in our society, not media

a lot of girls at my school are anorexic because the guys at my schools are schovanist bastards that want skinny slutty boney bitches as girlfriends
there have also been some girls that do this
some girls are just bitches that need a perfect man...which puts pressure on men for other things too
this is also why marrige is failing today, but I won't get into that

word to all of that.

anyways, its sorta natural for woman/young girls to want to get thinner and more beautiful(I know I do)
† foresaken †
Geek
† foresaken †
June 3rd, 2005 at 10:51am
Image is a heap of shit everybody is different people need to get over that. Don't go out looking like u haven't washed or nything but image makes you who you are an idividual so why does it matter evryone is different!
lemonjelly
Idiot
lemonjelly
June 4th, 2005 at 12:23am
Gillian:
In our society today, problems are cropping up everywhere due to issues with body image. The number of people diagnosed with eating disorders such as anorexia or bulemia are at an all time high. Children as young as 4 years old have been diagnosed with symptoms of anorexia, and girls as young as 9 are dieting to due to pressure from the media and peer pressure. However these problems do not only affect teenage girls and young women, but men and elderly people can have disorders such as these too. 78% of deaths due to anorexia are accounted for by the elderly.

Personally, I think it is ridiculous how the media can get away with the things they do and pressurise one of the most vulnerable age groups (teens) into thinking they are overweight and ugly. I do, however, understand that many people have such conditions because of other factors - like mental health problems, family problems, psychological problems etc.

On the other hand, there are the people who are obese and are told to lose weight rather than gain it. Strangely, this is also at an all time high. With all the junk food, lack of excersise and effort saving methods of doing things it's no wonder some people, especially children, are becoming increasingly overweight.

So, what are your views on body image? Discuss! Very Happy

i hate how girls ARE pressured anyways, b/c i like when ppl do have meat b/c it makes them look normal, and it makes me comfortable in my own skin to not be pressured to be stick thin, and not to be pressured to have a huge space between my legs or not have rock hard abs.
rock00chick
Geek
rock00chick
June 4th, 2005 at 11:10am
people should all want to be unique, i think people shouldn't just judge on looks, and it's pathetic that they do...
losers_are_cool
losers_are_cool
June 4th, 2005 at 12:45pm
spill_no_sick:

a lot of girls at my school are anorexic because the guys at my schools are schovanist bastards that want skinny slutty boney bitches as girlfriends
some girls are just bitches that need a perfect man...which puts pressure on men for other things too
I agree with you on that Nick. I don't believe it's all the media. I mean yes, most famous people are skinny but I think it's more the way your peers act that makes these things happen.

I myself am not skinny. I'm 5'5" and 145 pounds or something like that. And at my school all the "popular" people are thin. To me it seems that most of the guys at my school would rather date a skinny little stick like this girl Jennifer Beyer, who only concerns her self with how she and everyone around her looks, than my friend Hannah. And she's really funny and pretty and easy to get along with.

One day at the mall some random guy we didn't even know just came up to me and my friend Brittanie and said "You're fat." and walked away with his skinny girlfriend.
suzie_k
suzie_k
June 4th, 2005 at 01:19pm
you know what i'm a fat kid but i dont care i dont buy in to the whole thing of skinny girls in tv ads and magazines the only reason i will diet is for my heath. not to fit a mould
losers_are_cool
losers_are_cool
June 4th, 2005 at 01:27pm
suzie_k:
you know what i'm a fat kid but i dont care i dont buy in to the whole thing of skinny girls in tv ads and magazines the only reason i will diet is for my heath. not to fit a mould
You have one of the best attitudes toward this that I know. Very Happy

I want to lose weight cuz I want to look better. I am healthy. I play soccer (goalie and midfield) and my school has a run day every Friday during P.E. so I'm definately in shape.
losers_are_cool
losers_are_cool
June 4th, 2005 at 01:33pm
losers_are_cool:
spill_no_sick:

I agree with you on that Nick. I don't believe it's all the media. I mean yes, most famous people are skinny but I think it's more the way your peers act that makes these things happen.

I myself am not skinny. I'm 5'5" and 145 pounds or something like that. And at my school all the "popular" people are thin. To me it seems that most of the guys at my school would rather date a skinny little stick like this girl Jennifer Beyer, who only concerns her self with how she and everyone around her looks, than my friend Hannah. And she's really funny and pretty and easy to get along with.

One day at the mall some random guy we didn't even know just came up to me and my friend Brittanie and said "You're fat." and walked away with his skinny girlfriend.
I mostly don't think you should ever bed in a situation where you think you have to starve yourself or throw up in order to fit in. I was kind of anorexic for about a month. We're talkin tons of water, no starches or junk food (very hard to do), an apple or orange or some kind of berry and a stick of celery, corn, and a banana twice a week. I did it very differently than other people but it worked and it turned out that i did it the healthiest of anyone at my school (there's only like 2 other people) because when I stopped I didn't gain back twice as much weight as i lost, I gained back the same amount.
Queen_for_a_day
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
Queen_for_a_day
June 4th, 2005 at 01:36pm
Why do people do that stuff anyways??? I really don't get it. If you are going to loose weight then do it a way that's less dramatic . Jog arund the block... eat healthier... don't go to that extreme! And also when you loose weight that way you gain it back just as fast as you lost it and sometimes gain more... it's not a good thing
losers_are_cool
losers_are_cool
June 4th, 2005 at 01:42pm
Queen_for_a_day:
Why do people do that stuff anyways??? I really don't get it. If you are going to loose weight then do it a way that's less dramatic . Jog arund the block... eat healthier... don't go to that extreme! And also when you loose weight that way you gain it back just as fast as you lost it and sometimes gain more... it's not a good thing
I know. When I was doing it I wasn't thinking. I was just in a depression so instead of cutting myself likle some people do I just stopped eating. I didn't even realize I was doing it most of the time. I know now that it was stupid. It was my friend Brittanie who realized what I was doing and made me start eating again.

Oh and btw, to stay in shape for soccer, I run around the block a lot anyways so I'd have to run a lot more in order for it to make an impact on me. I'd have to eat less too...
suzie_k
suzie_k
June 4th, 2005 at 02:01pm
losers_are_cool:
suzie_k:
You have one of the best attitudes toward this that I know. Very Happy

I want to lose weight cuz I want to look better. I am healthy. I play soccer (goalie and midfield) and my school has a run day every Friday during P.E. so I'm definately in shape.

Thanks Very Happy . I just think there is worse thing in the world than being overweight. I don't think just coz someone like paris hilton or *insert famous person here* is skinny or slim makes them any better than me or anyone else.

If your comfortable with yourself why should your body image be dictated by t.v and magazines.

Ok, so I cant go into a shop and get the latest fashion. But I'm not into fashion. If I was slimmer than I am I'd still wear hoodies and o'neils or jeans.

And its not like I'm really unhealthy I'm a vegetarian and I go out and walk my dog everyday for at least an hour. So I'm not unfit either

And if people can't except me for who I am not what I look like its their problem not mine. I'm not gonna go out of my way to make them like me.
Queen_for_a_day
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
Queen_for_a_day
June 4th, 2005 at 02:11pm
that's true. If your friends don't acept who you are then you shouldn't starve yourself just yto be accepted... when you've lost the wight they might just find something else to fix. People just use that as an excuse.

I know a person the is obesce and peopple don't like him. But the thing is we don't hate him because he is over weight we hate him because he is mean and immature.

I also know other people that anre over weight but they are really nice and they have loads of friends.

Just goes to say people don't always judge you on apperences so you don't have to be skinny to be accepted... you need to be nice and respectfull. So there is no need to starve your self just to be accepted cause odds are it won't work!
Sincerely_Forgotten
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
Sincerely_Forgotten
June 4th, 2005 at 07:25pm
I agree with all of you guys. You all have some great points. And susie_k I think you have a great way of thinking. Very Happy
rehabreject
Jackass
rehabreject
June 5th, 2005 at 08:17am
just wanted to say thanks to everyone, i've got an essay to write for school and your posts helped me out alot Up
a few more things i found...
the pro-ana website hitchinalife posted a while back has some sickning quotes: 'people who eat are selfish and unrealistic', 'only thin people are graceful', starving is an example of excelent willpower'
i think the main reason the media is telling us 'your not perfect; heres what you need to do to fix it', is money. Companies will get millions from people paying for diets, plastic surgery and cosmetics...
considering teenages watch an average of 22 hours tv a week, their bound to be affected by these ads and start critisising (sp?) their own bodies
the thing is...teenagers (and adults) are getting mixed signals, they're encouraged to stay fit and healthy but also to accept their bodies for what they are...
rock00chick
Geek
rock00chick
June 5th, 2005 at 08:42am
i think it's horrible for the people goin through something in ther life like anorexia, and to make them feel bad and ab normal is wrong, on the other hand it must be really awful for the persons family and friends, because very often they don't know how to handle the situation and end up pushing the person away, its a really bad thing to be going through...
Gillian
Gillian
June 5th, 2005 at 05:01pm
I'm not saying you should agree with what I've written, and I am aware it is very one sided (it's meant to be that way), but you may find it interesting to read an essay I wrote: http://www.fictionpress.com/read.php?storyid=1931411
Drunkard
Jackass
Drunkard
June 5th, 2005 at 05:31pm
mmm... course i say beauty comes from inside as corny as it sonds :p but i do admitt that in a period i was a little over weitgh and it got to me. i wasn't picked on, but it did bother me (and i usally don't care) but i was also depressed at the time so it obnly made things worse. anyways, it started with that i was really upset so i started thwrowing up my food. and i felt like a hypocrite casue i say that anorxia and bulimia isn't neccesesy (sp?) and i started with it. but my parewnts noticed so they helped me ( pluss my mates) and now i feel better. i'm not skinny and i'm not fat. but many people vcan look at their body and feel ugly. and i sayb that if people want to do something for them and not for what other people think than it's okay

one of my mates said she was too fat 8she's not thin, but she aint fat) we said no, you don't need that. but she lost 5 kg and she felt really good about herself. and she became really healthy so i thoink thats good. but i hate people that have nice bodys and they starve them selves to death becasue models do it. thats sick. if u want to change weight, do it becasue you want to feel healthy and good about ypur self, don't so it becasue people say ypur fat or becasue others are thin.
Register