Global warming

AuthorMessage
Rocker Chic
King For A Couple Of Days
Rocker Chic

Blog
April 3rd, 2008 at 10:36pm
Global warming has terrible effects on the planet, and I know that, but I really think people go a bit overboard with the whole "Oh, the world is ending because of global warming!" thing. The world isn't going to just turn to mush overnight. This process has been happening for thousands of years. Maybe we're making it worse (I'm positive we are) and slightly speeding up the process, but I hate people blaming every single thing that happens in the environment on Global Warming.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
April 4th, 2008 at 04:31am
In Utero:
it hasn't been this high for over 100.000 years

A little bit of critisism, you can see the climatic ages very clearly shown on that map and it is evident that we are in one as the temperature has started risin since before humans had a significant effect on the environment at all, 20,000 years ago.

I do agree that it is worrying that the temperature is as high as it is, and it's supposed to be falling by now, but there is no evidence suggesting that it will fall anytime soon.
John Entwistle
Great Success!
John Entwistle
April 7th, 2008 at 09:59pm
Watch it. It's very informative. It probably won't change your mind, but atleast it will give you something to think about.

The other side of the argument that you don't see.

Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
April 8th, 2008 at 12:22am
Firstly, natural catastrophe deaths are down due to an increase in the technology available to predict weather patterns and prepare for possible said 'catastrophes'. Secondly, I don't believe that figure is accurate seeing as no natural catastrophe has claimed so many lives as the 2004 tsunami (about 250,000 deaths presuming that all the still 'missing persons' are most likely dead) since 1554 in China. Thirdly, how can you relate the amount of deaths from natural catastrophes to global warming? Because the deaths don't show any trend in global warming and natural catastrophes mostly aren't even linked to global warming in the first place.

Also, the temperature of the Earth is an often misinterpreted figure which varies in as much as four degrees. It is an extremely inaccurate representation of the possibility of global warming. A measure of global ocean temperature is much more accurate because of the nature of water and these do show drastic changes. Coral reefs all of the tropics are dying and getting bleached. This is evident without the use of scientific figures, it is totally qualitative. Surely, if global warming exists, it exists in the form of the rapidly increasing temperatures of the oceans.

When I have time, I'll put up my report of the depletion of tuna numbers in the North American Pacific. I did it ages ago, sounds dead boring, and for the most part, it is. But back then, it didn't have much relevance, not many people where bothered with global warming. Just because of the hype, it's suddenly quite interesting.
Rockaway Beach
Jackass
Rockaway Beach
June 1st, 2008 at 11:31pm
31,000 scientists reject 'global warming' agenda

More than 31,000 scientists across the U.S. including more than 9,000 Ph.D.s in fields such as atmospheric science, climatology, Earth science, environment and dozens of other specialties have signed a petition rejecting "global warming," the assumption that the human production of greenhouse gases is damaging Earth's climate.

"There is no convincing scientific evidence that human release of carbon dioxide, methane, or other greenhouse gases is causing or will, in the foreseeable future, cause catastrophic heating of the Earth's atmosphere and disruption of the Earth's climate," the petition states. "Moreover, there is substantial scientific evidence that increases in atmospheric carbon dioxide produce many beneficial effects upon the natural plant and animal environments of the Earth."

[...] "Mr. Gore's movie, asserting a 'consensus' and 'settled science' in agreement about human-caused global warming, conveyed the claims about human-caused global warming to ordinary movie goers and to public school children, to whom the film was widely distributed. Unfortunately, Mr. Gore's movie contains many very serious incorrect claims which no informed, honest scientist could endorse," said project spokesman and founder Art Robinson.

Also, I read some interesting things in David Icke's latest book, Guide to Global Conspiracy;

‘We are told that the earth is now warmer than at any time since records began. That may be true, but when did the records start? A BBC report in early 2007 said that the year was predicted to be the ‘warmest since records began’… in 1914. Other global records apparently go back to… 1860. What does that tell us when planetary cycles can be measured in hundreds, thousands, even millions of years? A study by a team as Harvard University of some 240 scientific reports showed that today’s temperatures are far from the highest in the last thousand years and nor are we experiencing the most extreme weather pattern. The team studied data on what are called ‘temperature proxies’, like tree rings, ice cores and historical accounts, and their findings were published in the journal Energy and Environment. They found there had been a Medieval warm period between the 9th and 14th centuries when global temperatures were significantly higher than today. There was also the Bronze age period 9,000 years ago known as the Holocene Maximum, when temperatures were some three degrees warmer than today for millennia. Forests flourished in North America and elsewhere and there was no global catastrophe, just as there wasn’t with the Medieval Period. The Harvard study also confirms there was a ‘Little Ice Age’ about 700 years ago when there was a dramatic cooling before temperatures rose again. During the Little Ice Age that started in the 15th century, the River Thames would freeze over to such an extent that ‘Ice Fairs’ were held on the surface. The Harvard team said their evidence showed that the belief in the ‘unprecedented’ temperatures of today is merely a result of studying temperature fluctuations over too short a time.’

On sunspots;

‘Dr Solanki said they found that when there were fewer explosive emissions from the sun, what are known as sunspots, there was a cooler period on earth and vice-versa. Over the last century, the number of sunspots has been increasing and so, therefore, has the temperature. Sunspots are phenomena of the Sun’s magnetic field and they are enormous. They can be the size of the earth and sometimes even Jupiter. This is delivered into our atmosphere by what is called solar wind.

National Geographic News reported shortly after the IPCC’s propaganda document was published in 2007 that Mars was also experiencing warmer temperatures, just like earth. The same has been found with other planets. What could possibly cause warmer temperatures on Mars and other planets at the same time? What is common to all of them? Er... how about the sun?’

On ice cores;

'Al Gore’s major selling point for the official version of global warming comes from ice core surveys which drill deep into the ice to establish what earth temperatures were over hundreds of thousands of years ago. Gore says that for 650,000 years the ice cores show the correlation between co2 and temperature. ‘When there is more carbon dioxide, the temperature gets warmer’, says Gore. Professor Ian Clark, a leading artic paleoclimatologist, who looks back into the earths temperature over tens of millions of years, say there is a link between warming and co2, but they’ve got it the wrong way round. Co2 does not cause the warming, the warming causes co2. His studies of ice cores show that the temperature increases lead the emergence of more c02 by some 800 years. ‘So obviously carbon dioxide is not the cause of that warming’, he points out, ‘In fact, we can say that the warming increased the carbon dioxide.’
Love my insanity
Jackass
Love my insanity
June 4th, 2008 at 09:16pm
Polar bears are becomnig cannibals because of the polar ice caps melting. There is no where for them to stop ad catch fish, so when they finally do find a block of ice to rest on, the competition is 10 ties worse, maknig less fish and more killer instinct.
150 different kinds of frogs have become extinct.

I have a debate with this girl in my english class everyday, and even wheni pump her with raw facts, she denies it because its not affecting her. She thinks radiation isn't seeping into her system and slowly killing her.
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
June 5th, 2008 at 07:28am
Love my insanity:
She thinks radiation isn't seeping into her system and slowly killing her.
Maybe because it isn't? Coolio
Love my insanity
Jackass
Love my insanity
June 5th, 2008 at 10:36pm
Kurtni:
Love my insanity:

Plah, I dont know. i believe global warming is out of control. And I dont expect her to agree, but she doesnt need to be ignorant about the whole situation. Eh.
Bleach
Rotting On Here
Bleach
June 12th, 2008 at 05:52pm
Kurtni:
Love my insanity:
cell phones? Coolio
There's alot of stuff now that emits some small amount of radiation Dno

Poette:
Global warming has terrible effects on the planet, and I know that, but I really think people go a bit overboard with the whole "Oh, the world is ending because of global warming!" thing. The world isn't going to just turn to mush overnight. This process has been happening for thousands of years. Maybe we're making it worse (I'm positive we are) and slightly speeding up the process, but I hate people blaming every single thing that happens in the environment on Global Warming.
well, every enviromental probelm has us to blame.

It won't turn to mush overnight, but every five minutes, 200,000 tons of CO2 are spewed into the air. [http://www.breathingearth.net/]
That alot more than I thought.

Anyways...
If humans vanished off of the face of the earth, the CO2 levels would start to go down in around 35 years. just a thought on how much we're impacting our earth.
And aren't we in an ice age now?

idk... I'm kindafeeling blah right now. I'll post more later
Bleach
Rotting On Here
Bleach
June 13th, 2008 at 08:41am
Really... I don't think we're able to reverse this. Not reverse, but fully fix it. I think the only way to completely fix this is to make all of the energy emission-free. We could reduce it, but it's still coming.
And its going to cost billions [even trillions... who knows] to use the technology to make everything. Just another reason why money causes problems...
And there's definatley a big number of people that don't care for the Earth... if it doesn't effect them, who cares?
I dunno.
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
June 14th, 2008 at 03:41pm
Bleach:
cell phones? Coolio
Small amounts of radiation don't kill you.
Love my insanity:
Kurtni:
Love my insanity:

Plah, I dont know. i believe global warming is out of control. And I dont expect her to agree, but she doesnt need to be ignorant about the whole situation. Eh.

Radiation is irrelevant to Global Warming. Coolio
Bleach
Rotting On Here
Bleach
June 15th, 2008 at 08:28am
Kurtni:
Bleach:
cell phones? Coolio
but tumors can! Ah
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
June 15th, 2008 at 12:52pm
Bleach:
Kurtni:
Bleach:
cell phones? Coolio
but tumors can! Ah

Being exposed to radiation doesn't mean you'll automatically develop a tumor. Coffee The media likes to exaggerate everything.
Bleach
Rotting On Here
Bleach
June 16th, 2008 at 07:28am
Kurtni:
Bleach:
Kurtni:
Bleach:
cell phones? Coolio
but tumors can! Ah

Being exposed to radiation doesn't mean you'll automatically develop a tumor. Coffee The media likes to exaggerate everything.
duhh, obviously. lfaslk

I meant [for example] if you're constantly talking on your phone, or using it, radiation will eventually get to you.
maybe in 70 years, maybe in five. Dno
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
June 16th, 2008 at 10:01am
Radiation probably isn't the most serious effect of global warming. If the ozone layer continues to be damaged, then there will be less protection from UV radiation. Which could cause skin cancer.

Radiation is everywhere, though. Not all of it is dangerous. Most supermarket food has been ionised with beta radiation to make it last longer, but that is really besides the point.
Bleach
Rotting On Here
Bleach
June 17th, 2008 at 01:29pm
Bloodraine:
Radiation probably isn't the most serious effect of global warming.
I didn't even realize that tbh
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
June 17th, 2008 at 02:09pm
Well, 'Love my insanity' seemed to suggest that so I was only giving my opinion. Coolio
Bleach
Rotting On Here
Bleach
June 18th, 2008 at 02:34am
OH WHATEVS

okay this isn't really part of the discussion
But is anyone else suspecting, because of this whole 'green' hype, that people are going to call themselves hippies because they 'care for the earth'?
and they're all gonna go around going 'save the whales!!!!'

Coolio
John Entwistle
Great Success!
John Entwistle
June 24th, 2008 at 11:34pm
I like how it is in the high 60's here (and has been for a over week) when normally this time of year it is in the 80's.

Just saying.
Bleach
Rotting On Here
Bleach
June 25th, 2008 at 01:33am
Shadow of a Doubt:
I like how it is in the high 60's here (and has been for a over week) when normally this time of year it is in the 80's.

Just saying.
well that's just a cold front. Dno
Register