Sexuality

AuthorMessage
Little Girl
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
Little Girl
November 6th, 2007 at 03:33am
Well i'm bi and one of my best friends is gay.....we think people judging others because of their sexuality is stupid....it sucks because we live in the south and it seems like the kids at our school don't wanna come out because of how people will judge them...i was always taught not to judge people by their race or sexuality or anything else like that.... Confused
Richard Nixon.
Banned
Richard Nixon.
November 6th, 2007 at 10:58pm
Most people who are bi decide whether they're gay or straight after a few years, there are very few actual bi people. And they have a preference. Everyone is bicurious, most people act on it at one stage or another, others don't.
Being gay or straight isn't a choice, levels of testosterone in the womb are said to affect our sexuality sometimes, at one point before the babies gender is decided a boost of estrogen is carried to the womb and this determines if there's enough whether you either get a female or a male, sometimes you get a very girly male and sometimes you get a tomboy female depending on the levels of testosterone in the womb and the estrogen supplied, hence why some scientists think it is an explination for homosexuality.
It has been around since the dawn of time and there are homosexual animals so it's obviously something scientific. Dno
Sherlock
Board Parasite
Sherlock
November 7th, 2007 at 11:03am
.. there are asexual people now? Coolio

..like not just plants?
Sherlock
Board Parasite
Sherlock
November 7th, 2007 at 11:12am
Surprised Dude. I've never heard of that before! Cassie ~accumulates knowledge~

There must be some chemimcal imbalance in their brain or lack or a hormone which prevents the normal drive to reproduce. Think
worn-out astronaut.
Had A Life Before GSB
worn-out astronaut.

Mibba Blog
November 7th, 2007 at 11:37am
omg Morrissey. Cassie

but idk, he said he was only in celibacy.
Sherlock
Board Parasite
Sherlock
November 7th, 2007 at 11:37am
Yeah, but even if they don't ~consciously~ want kids, evolutionarily and physically speaking, that is why they have the urge to have sex.

..and yeah.. I get the asexual thing. Coolio
Sherlock
Board Parasite
Sherlock
November 7th, 2007 at 11:39am
LOL @ Ivana.

Yeah I studied 'Sex' as a Module for Animal Psychology, it was one of my favourite modules ever. We were taught why there are two sexes, not one.. or three or ten, how some animals can actually alter the chemicals in their body in order to give birth to either male of female offspring, depending on their environment and stuff. Sex amazes me. Cassie
worn-out astronaut.
Had A Life Before GSB
worn-out astronaut.

Mibba Blog
November 7th, 2007 at 11:42am
omg Erin tehe

Why are there only two sexes, teach me.
Sherlock
Board Parasite
Sherlock
November 7th, 2007 at 12:21pm
Well.. ~clears throat~

lol. It is quite complicated, but I will simplify for my audience! XD

Ok, firstly, why we only have two sexes and not more..

Basically as far as sex-cells are concerned, they are at an advantage if they are either big with loads of nutrients and strength, or tiny and mobile, anything in between would be beaten by these types of cells. The smaller and faster you are, the quicker you can get to the best egg. More sperm are going to go for the biggest egg, and your baby will end up stronger. If you are a medium-sized cell, you will be too slow to beat the other sperm, and too small to be of interest if you are an egg. Babies only need nutrients to grow, there is no need for any other type of cell, as none can reproduce faster and more successfully, unless you are asexual (see below). Therefore even if there were eight different types of sex, the smallest and the biggest of the bunch would still come up trumps.

Why we are not all one sex..

Basically plants and animals who are asexual, or can reproduce by themselves, reproduce exact copies of themselves many, many times. This is popular among the lower animals, plants and pond-dwelling insects. It is good for producing masses upon masses of offspring, but if there is a mistake in your genetic code or a particular disease or element from your environment strikes and kills one of you, because all the babies are exactly the same, they will all be susceptable to the same thing, therefore instead of one of you dying, 2 million could die. With sex, you get the variety of two sets of DNA, therefore every baby is totally different as DNA never combines in the same way twice, so if one of you dies, the others are not likely to be susceptable to the same things as you are.

Con
Richard Nixon.
Banned
Richard Nixon.
November 7th, 2007 at 05:27pm
justxlies:
I Kill Children.:
Most people who are bi decide whether they're gay or straight after a few years, there are very few actual bi people. And they have a preference. Everyone is bicurious, most people act on it at one stage or another, others don't.
Being gay or straight isn't a choice, levels of testosterone in the womb are said to affect our sexuality sometimes, at one point before the babies gender is decided a boost of estrogen is carried to the womb and this determines if there's enough whether you either get a female or a male, sometimes you get a very girly male and sometimes you get a tomboy female depending on the levels of testosterone in the womb and the estrogen supplied, hence why some scientists think it is an explination for homosexuality.
It has been around since the dawn of time and there are homosexual animals so it's obviously something scientific. Dno
... And you know this how? How do you know that there are actually very few bisexuals. Many people see no restrictions on the gender that they love.

Everyone is? What about asexuals? I highly doubt that they would be bicurious.

Because the people who think they're bi when they're teenagers are mostly bicurious. You wont find many bisexual adults, sure they'll go with the other sex from time to to but that's just bicuriosity.
Because of scientific studies showing that people who are "bi" ultimately have a preference and stick with it.
Because 90% of people admit thinking about having sex or engaging in sexual activities with the other sex. The others pretty much just don't admit it or are asexual.
Because they're bicurious and open-minded.
Obviously asexuals aren't but I wasn't talking about them, this is about people who do find others sexually attractive.
worn-out astronaut.
Had A Life Before GSB
worn-out astronaut.

Mibba Blog
November 7th, 2007 at 09:56pm
thanks Erin tehe
Sherlock
Board Parasite
Sherlock
November 7th, 2007 at 10:52pm
No problem, sweetcheeks. tehe
Angelic Fruitcake
Falling In Love With The Board
Angelic Fruitcake
June 17th, 2009 at 01:53pm
So I'm bringing this thread back to post this, I found it fascinating.
I know this area's been touched on in here, but I thought that article might give those who consider homosexual tendencies
both unnatural and unacceptable something more to think about.
Peardrops
Addict
Peardrops

Blog
June 17th, 2009 at 02:30pm
Angelic Fruitcake:
I know this area's been touched on in here, but I thought that article might give those who consider homosexual tenancies

I love you Shifty
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
June 18th, 2009 at 12:52pm
Angelic Fruitcake:
I know this area's been touched on in here, but I thought that article might give those who consider homosexual tendencies

I, personally, don't consider 'natural' to be a synonym for 'good' or 'normal' or even 'acceptable'.
Our lives are so against nature anyway. If I think about it, I don't think there is a single aspect to my life that I can justify according to nature - surgery, medication, television, literature, the internet - none of these things occur in nature yet I'm perfectly happy to have them in my life. I don't think it is more or less acceptable to be gay if gay penguins exist. Animal behaviour doesn't rationalise something - in the same way we wouldn't accept eating our own young just because many animals do the same. I think being gay is acceptable whether it occurs in animals or not. I just don't know why 'nature' matters to people in this instance when we're perfectly happy to disregard it for everything else.

Not really directed at you by the way. Just this notion of being against nature generally.
Bleach
Rotting On Here
Bleach
June 18th, 2009 at 08:55pm
Maybe there is also a history of homosexuals in the caveman times. I know that lesbian brains are more like a straight mans and a gay man's brain is more similar to a straight women's brain. It's been proven that there is a gay gene. Obviously you don't think gays are bad/unacceptable, you were just saying that we can't compare to other species. I'm just stating reasons as to why in humans it is natural.

When you said that you do not think that 'natural' is 'good', is this judged by morals? or just comfort? Like are you saying that when one monkey kills another, is that unacceptable, or bad?
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
June 19th, 2009 at 07:54am
Bleach:
It's been proven that there is a gay gene.

No it hasn't.
Not to my knowledge.
I saw a documentary on this last year presented by John Barrowman (it's on youtube if anyone is interested, it was great) and he went through 754456 tests and none concluded that there was a definite gay gene. It concluded that being gay wasn't a choice - but further research was needed to determine the exact cause.

When you said that you do not think that 'natural' is 'good', is this judged by morals? or just comfort? Like are you saying that when one monkey kills another, is that unacceptable, or bad?

It isn't 'anything'.
I can't rationalise monkey behaviour according to my own. That would be stupid, I'm not a monkey. So if an animal kills another animal, I don't have an opinion on it. I just accept it. It can't be judged by mornals because I doubt animals have any morals, and if they do, they certainly don't share mine.

People use the word 'natural' as a synonym for 'good'. They say 'oh no, this is unnatural', ergo it is bad, and it pisses me off, because I think if we lived our lives entirely according to nature, and we never intervened in nature, then I know that I, for one, would have died a long time ago. People say being gay is unnatural and the counter argument seems to be 'no, it is natural, there are gay penguins'. For me, the counter argument is - tell me what is naural anymore. Being gay is no more an abberation on nature than vaccinations or makeup or shaving your legs.
Dr.Hymen
Geek
Dr.Hymen

Blog
June 19th, 2009 at 08:32am
As a gay man, I completely shudder at the thought of there being a gay gene and as far as I know,there isn't one. Or at least one hasn't been discovered yet.

Research has shown that homosexuality isn't due to one particular gene, rather a combination of chromosones and genes.
I think it was in 2005 in Illonis University, that this was discovered.

But really, I have no idea if there is a biological path towards homosexuality.
For me, I just know it's a feeling.
Bleach
Rotting On Here
Bleach
June 19th, 2009 at 05:43pm
Fionn Og:

Research has shown that homosexuality isn't due to one particular gene, rather a combination of chromosones and genes.
same, thing, it's genetics.
Dr.Hymen
Geek
Dr.Hymen

Blog
June 19th, 2009 at 07:16pm
Bleach:
Fionn Og:

same, thing, it's genetics.

Instead of singling out portions of what I have written, try reading the whole lot of it.
Yes, it is genetics, but what I was saying that it isn't all down to ONE gene, rather A LOT of them.
Register