Why Don't You Believe?

AuthorMessage
Meski
Addict
Meski

Blog
April 12th, 2007 at 02:50pm
I'm baptized as Catholic, I used to go to church like 2 years ago. But I've stopped believing in God. I haven't told my parents because they'd flip! Well my reasons to not believe in religion are:

1. I don't believe that there are angels or a man sitting on clouds
2. Moses broke the sea in two, that isn't possible
3. Supposedly, prayers are answered. Well, none of mine have been answered yet.
4. Religion is something that people invent to create a community

I have nothing against religion, I just don't like it, that's my opinion, which can be respected.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
April 12th, 2007 at 02:52pm
Meski:
I'm baptized as Catholic, I used to go to church like 2 years ago. But I've stopped believing in God. I haven't told my parents because they'd flip! Well my reasons to not believe in religion are:

1. I don't believe that there are angels or a man sitting on clouds
2. Moses broke the sea in two, that isn't possible
3. Supposedly, prayers are answered. Well, none of mine have been answered yet.
4. Religion is something that people invent to create a community

I have nothing against religion, I just don't like it, that's my opinion, which can be respected.
Moses didn't break the sea into two, God did. Didn't you study that, being a Catholic? Besides, there's new scientific facts that can explain what happened.
Bones
Falling In Love With The Board
Bones

Mibba Blog
April 12th, 2007 at 07:23pm
the only reason i think religion is still around is because as humans we dont want to believe that when we die that is it, that this life is all there is. Most people need the hope that there's something more, that themselves and loved ones meant something

But the fact is we dont really. Im very existential and i follow its philosophies rather than any religions althought some of them may be the same.

And yes,science cant explain everything but that doesnt mean that it cant. Thats what i believe in Science and Existentialism
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
April 12th, 2007 at 11:26pm
Be Your Own Pet!:
the only reason i think religion is still around is because as humans we dont want to believe that when we die that is it, that this life is all there is. Most people need the hope that there's something more, that themselves and loved ones meant something

But the fact is we dont really. Im very existential and i follow its philosophies rather than any religions althought some of them may be the same.

And yes,science cant explain everything but that doesnt mean that it cant. Thats what i believe in Science and Existentialism
There's more to religion that Heaven and Hell. Religion is philosophy. Religion is a bunch of philosophies compiled together with someone who preaches them. And there's is no proof against Heaven and Hell anyway, so for all we know they could exist.
robotchicken.
robotchicken.

Mibba
April 13th, 2007 at 12:20am
No one can disprove either science or religion. I choose to believe in religion. Many have called me a "slave" because of that. We are all slaves to ourselves anyway.[IMO] I think it would be nice if in the end of time everyones individual beliefs were true. :/ It would be a good ending....but who knows what will happen.
Bones
Bones

Mibba Blog
April 15th, 2007 at 01:44pm
to me the bible doesnt explain a damn thing
i believe in science over religion beacuse science is based on logic and observations
religion is all based on faith and hope, its hard thing to trust in when it cant be proved that its real

"if it doesnt make sense then it isnt true" - cant remember who said it but i agree
NeoSteph
Basket Case
NeoSteph

Mibba Blog
April 15th, 2007 at 01:48pm
Be Your Own Pet!:
i believe in science over religion beacuse science is based on logic and observations
religion is all based on faith and hope, its hard thing to trust in when it cant be proved that its real

"if it doesnt make sense then it isnt true" - cant remember who said it but i agree

So by that logic if I read Einstiens theory on relativity and it didn't make sense to me then by your ideals that deems it untrue. All is it a case of if it doesn't make sense to average people but intelligent folk get it then it can be true?

Most leading scientist in the world are those who have Faith hell Darwin only gave up his belief because his daughter died not because of his theories on evolution. To have faith in science is just as dangerous as holding strength in religion. Atleast with religion it's not going to change drastically anymore boundries have been set, with science it's unpredictable what we believe is true today can change tommorow.
Brendon Urie..
King For A Couple Of Days
Brendon Urie..

Mibba
April 15th, 2007 at 02:08pm
Be Your Own Pet!:

That's why religion is a faith-based structure.
I have deep respect for people who can believe whole-heartedly in something that they can only feel.
Bones
Bones

Mibba Blog
April 16th, 2007 at 04:34pm
NeoSteph:
Be Your Own Pet!:

So by that logic if I read Einstiens theory on relativity and it didn't make sense to me then by your ideals that deems it untrue. All is it a case of if it doesn't make sense to average people but intelligent folk get it then it can be true?

Most leading scientist in the world are those who have Faith hell Darwin only gave up his belief because his daughter died not because of his theories on evolution. To have faith in science is just as dangerous as holding strength in religion. Atleast with religion it's not going to change drastically anymore boundries have been set, with science it's unpredictable what we believe is true today can change tommorow.

but thats why i believe in science over religion - because it changes, a lot of religions have principles that cant stand up in todays world and its hard to follow something that doesnt change as society does

the fact that science can revolutionize something that we have held to be true is exciting, it shows our development as humans, i dont see how having a broader understanding of our universe

and this discussion board is personal reasonse for not believing and for me my brain has trouble accepting something that i cant observe to be true for myself, i find it difficult to have faith becuase no religion had a rule or law that you can use to prove that its real, i mean, its not as if there will ever be something like E=mc existence of a god
Bones
Bones

Mibba Blog
April 16th, 2007 at 04:35pm
oops, foreget to finish part of my sentence
* i dont see how having a broader understanding of our universe can be dangerous
Rae.
Post Whore
Rae.
April 16th, 2007 at 06:04pm
I'm personally not religious, but I'm not anti-religon either.

That's all I have to say really.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
April 17th, 2007 at 05:42am
Elegant Ruble:
NeoSteph:
Be Your Own Pet!:

but thats why i believe in science over religion - because it changes, a lot of religions have principles that cant stand up in todays world and its hard to follow something that doesnt change as society does

the fact that science can revolutionize something that we have held to be true is exciting, it shows our development as humans, i dont see how having a broader understanding of our universe

and this discussion board is personal reasonse for not believing and for me my brain has trouble accepting something that i cant observe to be true for myself, i find it difficult to have faith becuase no religion had a rule or law that you can use to prove that its real, i mean, its not as if there will ever be something like E=mc existence of a god
E = mc SQUARED!!!

If you forget the squared bit, of course it makes no sense.
xBlackMariahx
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
xBlackMariahx
April 18th, 2007 at 10:09pm
I'm an athiest, a strong athiest, and I'll never be convinced that there is a God. I feel that humans do not need to answer to any higher power except for the power that is in each of us. If you will, each of us is God. One of the things I never really got was... why did God (if She exists) even create us? I have become friends with several Christians over the past school year (don't ask me why, I just did) and one said he created humans so we would worship him (paraphrasing). That seems pretty egotistical to me. Then my friend contradicted himself, saying that He wants us to have free will. So.... we have the free will to worship him? Huh? WHY? I could go on and on about why I don't believe in any religion (except I do think we are re-incarnated) but I have some world history homework to attend to.
Brendon Urie..
King For A Couple Of Days
Brendon Urie..

Mibba
April 18th, 2007 at 11:07pm
Greek and Roman mythology explained what science, at the time, couldn't.
God of rain, God of war, God of the Sun, Goddess of the Moon, etc.
I do think that the definitives of religion, the specifics are created to fill what questions we need answered.
The earth being created in seven days, why there's evil in the world, how we got here, what our purpose is.

Religion can be used for both good and evil.
Faith is something entirely different and something I believe is entirely better.

Science and religion are not at odds.
Science is simply too young to understand.
Found in 'Angels and Demons' by Dan Brown
Bones
Bones

Mibba Blog
April 20th, 2007 at 10:42am
what " if it doesnt make sense then it isnt true" means
or what I interpreted it to mean was if it cant be explained then there is a reason, most likely that it isnt true

although the theory of relativity may not make sense to a lot of people it can be explained

religion cant be explained, reasons can be suggested but it can never be proven, unlike science
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
April 20th, 2007 at 02:04pm
Elegant Ruble:
what " if it doesnt make sense then it isnt true" means
or what I interpreted it to mean was if it cant be explained then there is a reason, most likely that it isnt true

although the theory of relativity may not make sense to a lot of people it can be explained

religion cant be explained, reasons can be suggested but it can never be proven, unlike science
You want proof of God? The Kor'an. God sent it to man. It is all His word, except the preface. There's your proof.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
April 20th, 2007 at 02:06pm
xBlackMariahx:
I'm an athiest, a strong athiest, and I'll never be convinced that there is a God. I feel that humans do not need to answer to any higher power except for the power that is in each of us. If you will, each of us is God. One of the things I never really got was... why did God (if She exists) even create us? I have become friends with several Christians over the past school year (don't ask me why, I just did) and one said he created humans so we would worship him (paraphrasing). That seems pretty egotistical to me. Then my friend contradicted himself, saying that He wants us to have free will. So.... we have the free will to worship him? Huh? WHY? I could go on and on about why I don't believe in any religion (except I do think we are re-incarnated) but I have some world history homework to attend to.
Nobody has free will. All of us are constrained by a system of laws by which we must obey. Hey, that sounds familiar...almost like, RELIGION!
Meski
Addict
Meski

Blog
April 20th, 2007 at 03:28pm
Anji:
You want proof of God? The Kor'an. God sent it to man. It is all His word, except the preface. There's your proof.

Anji:
Nobody has free will. All of us are constrained by a system of laws by which we must obey. Hey, that sounds familiar...almost like, RELIGION!

I respect your belief in God, but you have to repsect other people's beliefs as well.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
April 20th, 2007 at 03:31pm
Meski:
Anji:

Anji:

I respect your belief in God, but you have to repsect other people's beliefs as well.
I do, but right now I'm questioning arguements.

I don't believe that she is not believing in God for the right reasons. There. respect my belief. Retard
Bones
Bones

Mibba Blog
April 21st, 2007 at 03:03pm
i wasnt aware that there were right reasons for not believing in god
and how is the kor'an proof that there is a god?
there is no scientific basis that can prove that it is god's word, thats just the belief of people who follow the kor'an
Register