Why Don't You Believe?

AuthorMessage
robotchicken.
Falling In Love With The Board
robotchicken.

Mibba
April 26th, 2007 at 06:50pm
Religion does change people. Some for the worst some for the good. I believe in God because I see alot of beautiful things everyday I also see alot ugly things everyday that try and waiver my belief in God but I just can't lose my faith.
Deernt.
Rotting On Here
Deernt.

Mibba Blog
April 26th, 2007 at 06:53pm
Sheepo@_@:
Religion does change people. Some for the worst some for the good. I believe in God because I see alot of beautiful things everyday I also see alot ugly things everyday that try and waiver my belief in God but I just can't lose my faith.
I like how you said that. You make a good point. Especially today, where there is a lot of death, world hunger, epidemics, and malevolent leaders; it makes you wonder the pure existence of your religion's god. That's why I pray so I can keep my belief strong and I pray just to practice my religion in general.
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
April 26th, 2007 at 11:22pm
druscilla; in rags:
Amy.:
Tommy:
fuck god
fuck jesus
fuck religion
fuck bible huggers

ok,thats all
I was just thinking that too Cool

not meaning to cause too much offence. I just think religion is a load of rubbish =/

I think that's rather harsh.
Some people only have hope through religion.
Why is it so wrong to have faith in something as long as you respect that some people don't?
To some people religion is more than that. They see it as brainwashing innocent people into believing in some 'higher being' so that they can't manipulate them with their morals and ideas.
Brendon Urie..
King For A Couple Of Days
Brendon Urie..

Mibba
April 27th, 2007 at 10:31am
Kurtni:
druscilla; in rags:
Amy.:
Tommy:
fuck god
fuck jesus
fuck religion
fuck bible huggers

ok,thats all
I was just thinking that too Cool

not meaning to cause too much offence. I just think religion is a load of rubbish =/

I think that's rather harsh.
Some people only have hope through religion.
Why is it so wrong to have faith in something as long as you respect that some people don't?
To some people religion is more than that. They see it as brainwashing innocent people into believing in some 'higher being' so that they can't manipulate them with their morals and ideas.

That's not what that person sounded like.
They were saying 'fuck this' and 'fuck that'. To me that sounds like some ignorant tirade, not something articulate like you said.
NeoSteph
Basket Case
NeoSteph

Mibba Blog
April 27th, 2007 at 11:25am
Kurtni:
druscilla; in rags:
Kurtni:
I think its disgusting that a being could call themself a well meaning god, and allow things like that to happen.

Do remember that men wrote the Bible, not God.

What does that have to do with god and how god (doesn't) deals with conflicts on Earth? I find it disgusting that god doesn't. It doesn't really matter who wrote the bible. I don't even believe in god, I'm only stating that even if he were to exist I still wouldn't worship god, because it hasn't been earned.

What it has to do with it, I think its disgusting that a being could call themself a well meaning god

He's not calling himself a well meaning god, man is. We don't know why he acts or does not act in a certain way if we did there would be a hell of a lot more believers out there than there are.

So if you knew he existed you still wouldn't because it hasn't been earned what do you want him to do, throw you a parade, wipe your ass for you. If he does exist then he has only gone and created life no big deal I guess. he didn't fuck everything up, man did. so maybe thats not the problem. Maybe we're the ones who havn't earned the right to have a god.
NeoSteph
Basket Case
NeoSteph

Mibba Blog
April 27th, 2007 at 11:31am
Kurtni:
Tigger:

There's things like the things you listed because there's not just God. There's Satan too. Satan wants to screw everything up so he can take over. If he ruled, then everything would turn to shit.

I myself believe strongly in God, which is why I say that.
Isn't god suppose to be this all powerful mighty supreme being? So, shouldn't god be able to prevent satan from harming the innocent? I don't believe in god, but hypothetically speaking lets say he were to exist. And he has the power to stop satan, but he doesn't. He lets children suffer due to poverty. He sits and watches innocent people get blown up during wars. I bet the holocaust was really interesting for him. Where was god then? Sorry, but any 'supreme being' who lets things like that happen when they have the ability to stop it deserves no praise or worship, in my opinion. I respect you for defending you beliefs.

I'm fed up of hearing the most dumbass pointless argument in the world ''if god exists then why do bad things happen''

Because he gave us not only life, but free will. The will to do good and the will to do evil. If you choose to do evil then you go to hell, if you choose to live a good life you are rewarded in heaven. Death is only the beginning so as much pain or heartache or despair there is in this life, if you are a good person then your rewarded in the next.

If god wanted too i guess yes he could have intervened when things go bad and we could all live as little dolls in a playhouse, but thats not life. God has given us the biggest most important gift in the world and thats choice. Now if you want to throw it back in his/hers face then you can do it that, because he gave you that choice. But it's good that you mention the holocaust because the people who lived through that went through more than anyone can imagine and those who survived didn't come out blaming god, so who are you to do it for them.
worn-out astronaut.
Had A Life Before GSB
worn-out astronaut.

Mibba Blog
April 27th, 2007 at 01:53pm
I completely agree with Steph. I have studied that if God wanted (of course if you believe in Him and you think He could really do that) He could save us all. He could kill us all too. But its not up to God to save us from are problems or other shit in this world. God loves every one of us, he gave us all free will to do good or bad, as Steph said. Kurtni has mentioned Holocaust. It all happened cause of people, not cause of God. I don't believe that he had sat in heaven and had a laugh. And besides, when you say that he looked at it and enjoyed it, I think its far from the truth. I believe in God, in fact I love God. And he doesn't want to harm us, but thinking that he should stop all evil is basically thinking that he should fix all of our problems and that would be taking away that free will he gave us. Its not up to him to change the world, its up to all the good people in the world.
wfougoafoihqfe
wfougoafoihqfe
April 27th, 2007 at 02:14pm
I don't believe in a god, just because I don't think it's possbile.

And quite simply, I don't want to believe in a god.
I don't see anything wrong with not wanting to believe, it's just a matter of opinion really. & our own choices.

I have nothing against religion.
But I really can't stand when people try to force you into believing, or create arguments based on their beliefs. Religious wars. No thanks.
xBlackMariahx
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
xBlackMariahx
April 27th, 2007 at 02:26pm
^ ditto.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
April 28th, 2007 at 11:14am
ELLIE.:
You think that it's more likely that two random particles were forced together for no particular reason to create the universe? You think it was more likely that protien molecules engulf random mitochondrea to create a first life form, for no particular reason? Did you know the probability of your existance in one to infinity. If you weren't alive now, then you never would be. It is actually impossible that you exist. I wonder what does make that possible? Surely you must have another theory then, besides a god.
Sandwich-Masta
Geek
Sandwich-Masta
April 28th, 2007 at 06:30pm
1. The men who wrote the Bible didn't come up with what's in it--God did. Back then, Christians didn't have the Bible to guide them, so I think God actually talked to people more than He does now.

2. When we were created, we weren't just mindless robots programmed to do whatever God told us. He wanted us to choose to follow Him. So that's what the whole "free will" thing means.

3. Christians don't discriminate other religions. They may try to show someone who has another religion Christianity, but if somebody's a true Christian, they won't be a jerk to someone because of their religion.

That's all I gotta say. I'm a Christian, but you won't see me bashing people whose religions are different than mine. Although, I will admit there are tons of things I know nothing about when it comes to the Bible.

I've got an idea: how about you go to a pastor or someone and ask them those questions? They'll be able to answer them way better than I can.
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
April 29th, 2007 at 12:17am
NeoSteph:

I'm fed up of hearing the most dumbass pointless argument in the world ''if god exists then why do bad things happen''

Because he gave us not only life, but free will. The will to do good and the will to do evil. If you choose to do evil then you go to hell, if you choose to live a good life you are rewarded in heaven. Death is only the beginning so as much pain or heartache or despair there is in this life, if you are a good person then your rewarded in the next.

If god wanted too i guess yes he could have intervened when things go bad and we could all live as little dolls in a playhouse, but thats not life. God has given us the biggest most important gift in the world and thats choice. Now if you want to throw it back in his/hers face then you can do it that, because he gave you that choice. But it's good that you mention the holocaust because the people who lived through that went through more than anyone can imagine and those who survived didn't come out blaming god, so who are you to do it for them.

How very mature of you to call opposing arguements pointless just because you think differently. I'm allowed to have a different opinion than you and it doesn't make how I feel stupid. I'm pretty fed up with hearing the free will arguement, but I'm not going to call it "the most dumbass pointless argument in the world ", that would be pretty childish.

See, the thing is what happens to some people has absolutely nothing to do with them doing good or evil, or their free will. It's circumstances out of thier control. I'd love for someone to go into a village in Africa that's been destroyed by poverty and tell them they should be thankful for being given life, and free choice. Because, you know, it was totally their choice to be poverty-stricken and diseased. Oh wait a second.. it wasn't. They have absolutely no control over AIDs spreading, or the fact that there is a food shortage and they're starving. Wait a second, I bet those malnourished children are the ones to blame.. they made bad choices obviously.
And yeah, the people who lived through the Holocaust might not be blaming God, but lets ask the millions who died.. oh wait thats right, we can't.
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
April 29th, 2007 at 12:23am
NeoSteph:

What it has to do with it, I think its disgusting that a being could call themself a well meaning god

He's not calling himself a well meaning god, man is. We don't know why he acts or does not act in a certain way if we did there would be a hell of a lot more believers out there than there are.

So if you knew he existed you still wouldn't because it hasn't been earned what do you want him to do, throw you a parade, wipe your ass for you. If he does exist then he has only gone and created life no big deal I guess. he didn't fuck everything up, man did. so maybe thats not the problem. Maybe we're the ones who havn't earned the right to have a god.

So we have no idea why god chooses to (not) help the world or what his motives are, and you just said the bible is faulty seeing as how it was written by man, so how can you worship something like that? You would have to assume so much.
Nah, he doesn't have to throw me a parade, but it would be nice if kids didn't have to strave to death and suffer from poverty. But I guess you're right, they just haven't earned the right to have a god, its obviously all their fault for screwing everything up by being born in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
April 29th, 2007 at 12:40am
Sandwich-Masta:
1. The men who wrote the Bible didn't come up with what's in it--God did. Back then, Christians didn't have the Bible to guide them, so I think God actually talked to people more than He does now.

2. When we were created, we weren't just mindless robots programmed to do whatever God told us. He wanted us to choose to follow Him. So that's what the whole "free will" thing means.

3. Christians don't discriminate other religions. They may try to show someone who has another religion Christianity, but if somebody's a true Christian, they won't be a jerk to someone because of their religion.

That's all I gotta say. I'm a Christian, but you won't see me bashing people whose religions are different than mine. Although, I will admit there are tons of things I know nothing about when it comes to the Bible.

I've got an idea: how about you go to a pastor or someone and ask them those questions? They'll be able to answer them way better than I can.

1- But its still just mans views of what he supposedly said, correct? So really you have absolutely no way of knowing if any of it is worth believing. We argue over what the bible means now, and that isn't even directly Gods word. If we can't even share a common opinion, how could you expect people thousands of years ago to understand exactly what god meant? You can't.

2- What about the people who are never exposed to Christianity? They don't even know it exists, yet they'll end up in hell because they don't worship god. Having free will doesn't matter because you can't choose something if you don't know it exists.

3- There is no way you can make a stereotype for an entire religion. Of course not all Christians discriminate against other religions, the religion teaches some great morals, and when followed correctly they should work to mold great people. But it doesn't always work that way and extremist views can form which can cause discrimination against other people or religions.
davey jones.
davey jones.

Mibba Blog
April 29th, 2007 at 12:45am
It bothers me when people rant about religion being pressed upon them. Well some people try to denounce religion and say that if you believe in God that you are gullible or something. Those two are no better than one another.

I believe in God, and it pisses me off when both happen to me. I don't like being told, "believe what I say or burn in hell." OR, "You're SUCH a narrowminded fool."

People should be able to believe or not what they want to.
Brendon Urie..
King For A Couple Of Days
Brendon Urie..

Mibba
April 29th, 2007 at 01:09am
Kurtni:
What about the people who are never exposed to Christianity? They don't even know it exists, yet they'll end up in hell because they don't worship god. Having free will doesn't matter because you can't choose something if you don't know it exists.

At my church, which taught a lot of bullshit but taught some all right stuff, they didn't believe that was the case.
They believed that until you had the ability to make the decision to accept Christ as your personal savior that you would go to Heaven if you died because you didn't deny Christ, you simply didn't know He was there.
That referred to young children, babies, and people who don't know about Christianity.
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
April 29th, 2007 at 01:35am
druscilla; in rags:

At my church, which taught a lot of bullshit but taught some all right stuff, they didn't believe that was the case.
They believed that until you had the ability to make the decision to accept Christ as your personal savior that you would go to Heaven if you died because you didn't deny Christ, you simply didn't know He was there.
That referred to young children, babies, and people who don't know about Christianity.
That would make alot more sense then punishing them for things our of their control.
lyrical_mess
lyrical_mess

Mibba Blog
April 29th, 2007 at 03:46am
There are two sides for me on this issue. There's the scientific side, which is kind of the more reasonable side. And there's the religious side. I have one foot in each.

The reasonable side of me knows that when you die, you die. End of story. You're gone. You daid.

But I still have strong faith in reincarnation. I dunno. Maybe its because I've been told stories since I was little and grew up on Indian folktales and epics. But there are too many instances of supposed reincarnation.

I think a lot of people feel the same way. There's grey areas. I don't think its just "you believe or you don't." Some things can't be explained by science. But I have a hunch that eventually, they will be.

I don't know what I'm trying to say. I believe, but I don't.
rehabreject
Jackass
rehabreject
April 29th, 2007 at 05:48am
lyrical_mess:
There are two sides for me on this issue. There's the scientific side, which is kind of the more reasonable side. And there's the religious side. I have one foot in each.

The reasonable side of me knows that when you die, you die. End of story. You're gone. You daid.

But I still have strong faith in reincarnation. I dunno. Maybe its because I've been told stories since I was little and grew up on Indian folktales and epics. But there are too many instances of supposed reincarnation.

I think a lot of people feel the same way. There's grey areas. I don't think its just "you believe or you don't." Some things can't be explained by science. But I have a hunch that eventually, they will be.

I don't know what I'm trying to say. I believe, but I don't.
I know what you mean.

In the end, there is no way to prove there is or isn't a God, so people are perfectly justified in believed any or no religion.
Atheism has just as many faults and loop-holes as everyone bashes religion for.

I am not a member of any religion, but that doesn't mean I'm not spiritual. For example, just like you, I choose to believe in reincarnation for much the same reason people believe in religion - it's comforting to think that we're not as insignificant as science makes us out to be.

I find it difficult to believe science will explain everything and honestly...it even seems a bit frightening. If we know everything; what's to strive for?

I wouldn't want to call myself an agnostic though, because that word carries a negative connotation - sort of like a weak excuse for being indecisive.
Bones
Bones

Mibba Blog
April 29th, 2007 at 11:37am
Anji:
ELLIE.:
You think that it's more likely that two random particles were forced together for no particular reason to create the universe? You think it was more likely that protien molecules engulf random mitochondrea to create a first life form, for no particular reason? Did you know the probability of your existance in one to infinity. If you weren't alive now, then you never would be. It is actually impossible that you exist. I wonder what does make that possible? Surely you must have another theory then, besides a god.

its a scientific fact that the universe is random
there's a whole study devoted to it, its called entropy

what's your problem with accepting that some people have too strong a hold in science to believe in a god

its not redicuclous to believe that it was all random for no apperent reason - thats what i believe, science backs that up, its a "right" enough reason to not believe god

ok you do believe, but you've got to accept that others dont - thats not wrong, opinions beliefs no matter what they are can never be wrong, its whats true for you
Register