Why Don't You Believe?

AuthorMessage
Lucifers Angel
King For A Couple Of Days
Lucifers Angel
April 21st, 2007 at 03:08pm
i did believe but now i am having serious second thoughts, i went to church every sunday and paid my tithing, but now i am not so sure, i have been told by elders and sisters that things are sent to try us and make us better people, but if i have to go through much more i dont know if it will make me stronger or weaker!!

He is suppose to protect us and look over us but what a fine job he's doing with me!!
PentatonicA
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
PentatonicA
April 21st, 2007 at 08:21pm
JESSY NIGHTMARE:
If this is a double. Lock it. If it's in the wrong section. Move it.

Okay My question is 'Why Don't You Believe In God?'

My reason is for asking is. I don't. But my friend drags me to church or youth group every so often. Everyone there thinks I do believe in God. Tonight she dragged me there for the first time in 5 months.
Type away.

Ever thought of standing up for yourself. Simply and politely say... this "thing" ain't for me! Sorry I pass...

(?)
xBlackMariahx
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
xBlackMariahx
April 21st, 2007 at 08:34pm
I've read parts of the Qu'ran, but I don't read any book as absolute truth. It was written by man, so how can it be?
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
April 22nd, 2007 at 12:10am
xBlackMariahx:
I've read parts of the Qu'ran, but I don't read any book as absolute truth. It was written by man, so how can it be?
It was written by God. You read the English version, I presume. Yeah, that was written by man. Translated versions of the Qu'ran (Kor'an) are all different because of course there are several ways to translate the same passage. This is why in Islamic belief, to translate the Qu'ran means that it's orinigal meaning is 'lost in translation'. It is unholy, and you're reading a biased version of what is actually God's word.

When my father became a Muslim, he had to learn Arabic. All Muslims learn Arabic in order to read God's word as written. That is the absolute truth of the Qu'ran. So if you want to really read it, then learn Arabic. It's good for your brain anyway.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
April 22nd, 2007 at 12:51am
Elegant Ruble:
i wasnt aware that there were right reasons for not believing in god
and how is the kor'an proof that there is a god?
there is no scientific basis that can prove that it is god's word, thats just the belief of people who follow the kor'an
There are wrong and right reasons for believing in God, like saying that God is stupid, there's a wrong reason.

There is no scientific basis to prove a lot of things. There is no scientific basis to prove that there was a second shooter at JFK's assassination but there is lack of proof to disprove that there wasn't. The same applies for the Ko'ran. There is no proof that man has written it, no evidence to show that people put words into it, no evidence to prove that it was fabricated. There is an eyewittness who saw God hand it down to Earth.

Science doesn't prove everything and it can't prove everything. So what does?
xBlackMariahx
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
xBlackMariahx
April 22nd, 2007 at 08:34pm
Anji:
xBlackMariahx:
It was written by God. You read the English version, I presume. Yeah, that was written by man. Translated versions of the Qu'ran (Kor'an) are all different because of course there are several ways to translate the same passage. This is why in Islamic belief, to translate the Qu'ran means that it's orinigal meaning is 'lost in translation'. It is unholy, and you're reading a biased version of what is actually God's word.

When my father became a Muslim, he had to learn Arabic. All Muslims learn Arabic in order to read God's word as written. That is the absolute truth of the Qu'ran. So if you want to really read it, then learn Arabic. It's good for your brain anyway.

I'm just reading it to better understand the world. Believe me, I'm not searching for a religion, though I respect yours. I actually find the Muslim religion healthier than Christianity from the small amounts I've read of their respective holy books. I would like to learn Arabic at some point.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
April 23rd, 2007 at 10:46am
xBlackMariahx:
Anji:
xBlackMariahx:

I'm just reading it to better understand the world. Believe me, I'm not searching for a religion, though I respect yours. I actually find the Muslim religion healthier than Christianity from the small amounts I've read of their respective holy books. I would like to learn Arabic at some point.
I'm not Islamic. Confused
xBlackMariahx
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
xBlackMariahx
April 24th, 2007 at 10:35am
I mean I respect the religions of others.
Tigger
Geek
Tigger

Mibba Blog
April 25th, 2007 at 06:32pm
Lucifers Angel:
how can there be a god when there are things like wars going on, murders, child moletstaion, has anybody stopped to think why people dont believe like they used to anymore?

Open a paper, watch the news and then tell me there is a god, because for me if there is then he has a very fucking wicked sense of humour.

There's things like the things you listed because there's not just God. There's Satan too. Satan wants to screw everything up so he can take over. If he ruled, then everything would turn to shit.

I myself believe strongly in God, which is why I say that.
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
April 25th, 2007 at 06:37pm
Anji:
I do, but right now I'm questioning arguements.

I don't believe that she is not believing in God for the right reasons. There. respect my belief. Retard
Define "right" and "wrong" reasons for believing in something, or not believing in it. Personally I think that its a personal issue and there is no set standards. Some people might not even have a reason for not believing, they just don't.
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
April 25th, 2007 at 06:40pm
Tigger:

There's things like the things you listed because there's not just God. There's Satan too. Satan wants to screw everything up so he can take over. If he ruled, then everything would turn to shit.

Isn't god suppose to be this all powerful mighty supreme being? So, shouldn't god be able to prevent satan from harming the innocent? I don't believe in god, but hypothetically speaking lets say he were to exist. And he has the power to stop satan, but he doesn't. He lets children suffer due to poverty. He sits and watches innocent people get blown up during wars. I bet the holocaust was really interesting for him. Where was god then? Sorry, but any 'supreme being' who lets things like that happen when they have the ability to stop it deserves no praise or worship, in my opinion. I respect you for defending you beliefs.
Brendon Urie..
Brendon Urie..

Mibba
April 25th, 2007 at 06:50pm
Kurtni:
Tigger:

Isn't god suppose to be this all powerful mighty supreme being? So, shouldn't god be able to prevent satan from harming the innocent? I don't believe in god, but hypothetically speaking lets say he were to exist. And he has the power to stop satan, but he doesn't. He lets children suffer due to poverty. He sits and watches innocent people get blown up during wars. I bet the holocaust was really interesting for him. Where was god then? Sorry, but any 'supreme being' who lets things like that happen when they have the ability to stop it deserves no praise or worship, in my opinion. I respect you for defending you beliefs.

These are selections from a book called Angels & Demons by Dan Brown. Yes, it's fiction. This is a conversation between a priest and a Swiss Guard about Scripture and God.

"I don't understand this whole omnipotent-benevolent thing."

"You are confused because the Bible describes God as an omnipotent and benevolent deity. Omnipotent-benevolent simply means that God is all powerful and well-meaning."

"I understand the concept. It's just ... there seems to be contradiction."

"Yes, the contradiction is pain. Man's starvation, war, sickness..."

"Exactly! Terrible things happen in this world. Human tragedy seems like proof that God could not possibly be both all-powerful and well-meaning. If He loves us and has the power to change our situation, He would prevent our pain, wouldn't He?"

The priest then asks this question.

"Imagine you had an eight-year-old son . . . would you love him?"

"Of course."

"Would you do everything in your power to prevent pain in his life?"

"Of course."

"Would you let him skateboard?"

"Yeah, I guess. Sure, I'd let him skateboard, but I'd tell him to be careful."

"So as this child's father, you would give him some basic, good advice and then let him go off and make his own mistakes?"

"I wouldn't run behind him and mollycoddle him if that's what you mean."

"But what if he fell and skinned his knee?"

"He would have to learn to be more careful. Pain is part of growing up. It's how we learn."

"Exactly."

That doesn't explain everything to me, but it helps me understand some things.

-shrug-
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
April 25th, 2007 at 07:56pm
Well, the thing is children who are born with AIDs and have absolutely no control over what happens in their lives aren't learning from their own mistakes. It isn't just one 8 year old sun, its millions of children. By no fault of their own, they suffer. Pain is an understatement really. And they don't get to grow up, they just die. I, personally, refuse to accept that as being an act of a well-meaning God. I think its disgusting that a being could call themself a well meaning god, and allow things like that to happen.
Brendon Urie..
Brendon Urie..

Mibba
April 25th, 2007 at 08:29pm
Kurtni:
I think its disgusting that a being could call themself a well meaning god, and allow things like that to happen.

Do remember that men wrote the Bible, not God.
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
April 25th, 2007 at 08:55pm
druscilla; in rags:
Kurtni:
I think its disgusting that a being could call themself a well meaning god, and allow things like that to happen.

Do remember that men wrote the Bible, not God.

What does that have to do with god and how god (doesn't) deals with conflicts on Earth? I find it disgusting that god doesn't. It doesn't really matter who wrote the bible. I don't even believe in god, I'm only stating that even if he were to exist I still wouldn't worship god, because it hasn't been earned.
GreenDayfreak136
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
GreenDayfreak136

Mibba
April 26th, 2007 at 04:10am
Amy.:
Tommy:
fuck god
fuck jesus
fuck religion
fuck bible huggers

ok,thats all
I was just thinking that too Cool

not meaning to cause too much offence. I just think religion is a load of rubbish =/

I think the same as you guys! Green Day are my gods all the way Very Happy
yes im observed but nearly everyone is on this! Smile
lyrical_mess
Falling In Love With The Board
lyrical_mess

Mibba Blog
April 26th, 2007 at 05:07am
It pisses me off when people say that Green Day are their personal gods. I agree that they're talented and wonderful and amazing. But gods? Confused

Explain to me how they are gods. Explain to me how they have helped you in times of need. Explain how you pray to them and why you believe that they will help you. I'm not attacking you, I'm curious to know.
Brendon Urie..
Brendon Urie..

Mibba
April 26th, 2007 at 11:08am
lyrical_mess:
It pisses me off when people say that Green Day are their personal gods. I agree that they're talented and wonderful and amazing. But gods? Confused

Explain to me how they are gods. Explain to me how they have helped you in times of need. Explain how you pray to them and why you believe that they will help you. I'm not attacking you, I'm curious to know.

Well, actually they helped me establish the person I am and 'Wake Me Up When September Ends' kept me from doing drugs when I got into a situation I couldn't handle.
I also used to pray to St. Jimmy and cross myself in times of need.
But, no, I do not consider Green Day my gods.
Just answering your questions.
[Although St. Jimmy is sort of a personal... something... for me.]
Brendon Urie..
Brendon Urie..

Mibba
April 26th, 2007 at 11:09am
Amy.:
Tommy:
fuck god
fuck jesus
fuck religion
fuck bible huggers

ok,thats all

not meaning to cause too much offence. I just think religion is a load of rubbish =/

I think that's rather harsh.
Some people only have hope through religion.
Why is it so wrong to have faith in something as long as you respect that some people don't?
Deernt.
Rotting On Here
Deernt.

Mibba Blog
April 26th, 2007 at 06:49pm
Amy.:
Tommy:
fuck god
fuck jesus
fuck religion
fuck bible huggers

ok,thats all

not meaning to cause too much offense. I just think religion is a load of rubbish =/

That is harsh. o_o
If you didn't mean to cause any offensive issues, then why did you post your agreement when you knew there would be a lot of users who took that highly offensive? Like me...
The whole existence of religion is that little minuscule hope people grab onto so they don't give in to things they'll regret. Sorry to sound mean, I'm just very sensitive when it comes to religion discussion. I'll have you know that I've become a strong believer in faith after my grandmother died. I feel like I need to pray for her so she could come back to life in spirit stronger than she ever was in her whole life.
Ok. I'm done. I know people will have a blast with my comment. Cassie
Register