Are girls growing up too fast?

AuthorMessage
lyrical_mess
Falling In Love With The Board
lyrical_mess

Mibba Blog
September 13th, 2007 at 01:52pm
Exactly. Years ago, phones didn't have much that a kid could use. Now there's games and the internet and they're colorful and jazzy and if the house phone is tied, they can call their friends and if they're stranded they can call their parents.

I got my first cell in sixth grade. I did feel cool and I did feel spoiled but it really did get me out of a lot of sticky situations.
Macfadyen
Basket Case
Macfadyen
September 14th, 2007 at 03:54am
Why would you buy a phone for the games or internet? Or because they look good? If you ask me, those are dumb reasons to get a phone.
Sure, if you're a kid who goes out alone a lot and is really social, having a phone makes sense, but it seems to me that most kids just have phones to be like, "o hay i have a phon Cool"
I remember in elementary, I saw this fifth grader apparently talking on his cellphone.
And that's when his phone rang.
He was so embarassed, it was hilarious. lmfao
greendea
Jackass
greendea
September 14th, 2007 at 06:16pm
i think when we had our first period was too early.... when i could have already had babies the boys were just babies! i think we should have grew together
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
September 14th, 2007 at 07:34pm
I have a mobile for the sake of having a mobile because I never use it. I don't have anyone to contact anymore. At least my cellphone was only like 20 pounds anyway.
Macfadyen
Basket Case
Macfadyen
September 15th, 2007 at 01:06am
xXxAndreaIsCoolxXx:
Matt Bellamy:
Why would you buy a phone for the games or internet? Or because they look good? If you ask me, those are dumb reasons to get a phone.
Sure, if you're a kid who goes out alone a lot and is really social, having a phone makes sense, but it seems to me that most kids just have phones to be like, "o hay i have a phon Cool"

I don't know anybody that has a cell phone simply for the sake of having a cell phone.
Cells are extremely convenient and make life easier. Not to mention depending on your plan, cheaper. I've got Verizon and it's free for me to call my best friend who moved to Arizona and everyone in my family.
Plus, that frees up home lines in case somebody is awaiting a call, needs to make a call, etc...,

The reason people buy phones for games and internet is because it's nice to have those additions. I have a camera phone/MP3 player with texting, AIM and games. It's nice to have those extras. If your parents told you that you could have the latest, most high-tech computer, would you get it or instead get a computer from three years ago?

Yes, but you're 17.. we're talking about people half your age..

So, if you can have it, you should have it?
A computer from three years ago isn't necessarily bad. In fact, for your average user, if it was a top-of-the-line computer from three years ago, it would be amazing.
I'm 15. If my parents could theoretically buy me a car, they should? I have no need for a car right now... should I take it because it has a radio and a CD player build in? Hell, maybe even a dashboard, if I'm lucky! Wink
Tahm York
This Board Is My Home
Tahm York

Blog
September 15th, 2007 at 05:24am
yeah I really think they are. because they dress like need to show a lot of skin. and I even read an article about girls who runaway getting involved with prostitution. so

I think that they need to slow down. at ten, I wasn't thinking about showing off my body, sex, or anything like that. or, having a cell phone. Hell, if it wasn't my only means of communication, I wouldn't really want one.
Macfadyen
Basket Case
Macfadyen
September 15th, 2007 at 06:35am
xXxAndreaIsCoolxXx:

What computer from three years ago would be considered top of the line?

If you can, why not get a phone that has an MP3 player and a camera?

Plenty of people younger than me need phones.
Cell phones are convienient, and they make life a lot easier.

It's easier nowadays to find a ride than a pay phone.

My mom has really high anxiety and when we're going somewhere we can check in with her often.
Without cell phones, we wouldn't really be able to do that.

I see absolutely no problem with cell phones, and I see no problem with getting the nicest phone you can.

Computers haven't made ridiculous advancements in the last 3 years. These days, you can go into your standard Best Buy or Futureshop and purchase a computer with 3 gigs of RAM and a 640 GB hard drive.
3 years ago, a top-of-the-line computer wouldn't exactly be shit..

I'm not saying fancy phones are bad!
What I'm saying is, MOST 9-year-olds don't go out alone often enough to justify buying one. Most 9-year-olds don't need to find a ride, they generally go places with parent supervision.
IF a very social 9-year-old DOES constantly go out alone and needs a mobile phone to contact parents/friends, then it's perfectly fine by me.
What I'm saying is, the majority don't need one at all.
Macfadyen
Basket Case
Macfadyen
September 15th, 2007 at 11:42pm
Obviously, but like I said, for the average user...

Schools always have phones kids can use.
After-school activities for 9-year-olds are usually supervised.
And besides, how often does that even happen? Not often enough to justify it. It's a massive waste of money.
Macfadyen
Basket Case
Macfadyen
September 16th, 2007 at 10:12am
They may not be at school, but at that age, they are organized and have little chance of being unpredictable to a point where a phone call is needed to inform a parent.

There's the base price of the actual phone, then there's the monthly bills. I don't know about you, but my brother and parents pay about $30 a month each for their phones.

For that argument, see above for my car analogy. Wink
Yes, it's ultimately the parent's decision. What's that have to do with anything whatsoever? My point still stands. In fact, many people on this thread have pinpointed one of the reasons that girls are growing up too fast on the parents, if I'm not mistaken.
Macfadyen
Basket Case
Macfadyen
September 16th, 2007 at 08:03pm
I repeatedly said most, not all.

Our landline phone bills are about the same price. I actually happened to be talking to my dad about it yesterday.

I'm also not nine years old. It's all relative.
Cars aren't very dangerous for a fifteen year old, many places in the states allow kids as young as fourteen to drive.

o hay, it's called an opinion. This whole thread is about opinions.

Whatever, we're obviously not on the same page, this isn't getting anywhere.
tomamazon
GSBitch
tomamazon

Mibba Blog
September 16th, 2007 at 08:47pm
i'm not growing up too fast Sad
rollerpig
GSBitch
rollerpig
September 17th, 2007 at 08:46pm
Emma Prostate.:
Emma Prostate.:
Warning Anal, Angst, AUAR, BDSM, Bi, BMod, Bond, CBT, Ds, Exhib, HC, HJ, Language, Lemon, MaleDom, MC, Monor, Mpreg, NC, OC, Oral, Rim, SM, SH, ShonenAi, Slash, So
tomamazon
GSBitch
tomamazon

Mibba Blog
September 17th, 2007 at 09:02pm
Rollerpig:
Emma Prostate.:
Emma Prostate.:
Warning Anal, Angst, AUAR, BDSM, Bi, BMod, Bond, CBT, Ds, Exhib, HC, HJ, Language, Lemon, MaleDom, MC, Monor, Mpreg, NC, OC, Oral, Rim, SM, SH, ShonenAi, Slash, So

omg that's totally UNFAIR, that was a warning on one of the stories on ff.net, so burn wtf.

I'm not though, really. I don't care what I look like tbh; I only have a mobile for emergencies (and i only text my BEST friends), and I don't let myself get finger by every Tom, Dick and Harry.

...Harry Roxanne
gdgeek513
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
gdgeek513

Mibba
October 24th, 2007 at 06:14pm
I to am 11 and having a cellphone is okay if you use it at appropriate times! the inappropriate clothing scares me...is limited Too trying to make girls look like sluts.I have a friend and she is just constantly grope boys! it disgusts me!!!!!!!!!!!!! Embarassed
ColleenStarship
Addict
ColleenStarship
October 24th, 2007 at 06:19pm
gdgeek513:
I to am 11 and having a cellphone is okay if you use it at appropriate times! the inappropriate clothing scares me...is limited Too trying to make girls look like sluts.I have a friend and she is just constantly grope boys! it disgusts me!!!!!!!!!!!!! Embarassed

thats just bad parenting.

and clothing is objective. some girls can wear lowcut shirts and short skirts and not look slutty, some look slutty even in sweatpants and a hoodie. its how you carry yourself.
Not a Real Doctor
Idiot
Not a Real Doctor

Mibba
October 27th, 2007 at 10:07am
Well lots of girls in my class own mobile phones and they text each other and other boys. They also have things in their msn names that are quite frighting.

As for me I don't know. I don't have a mobile and I don't blindly worship boys, but I feel that I know too much for my age. I have a wide knowledge of social issues that most kids my age wouldn't understand.

And I don't mean "Oh John Howard and George Bush suck because it's cool to be left-wing." thing. But I accually know why they're not great leaders and I know about the left and the right side of politics.

So I don't know where I stand on the issue.
lyrical_mess
Falling In Love With The Board
lyrical_mess

Mibba Blog
October 27th, 2007 at 10:23am
In the case of boys, I think society needs to grow up a little bit. Its such a big deal to hang out with boys when you're like...12. I think by then, we all get over the whole cootie thing and realize that you can't get imaginary obscure germs by talking to members of the opposite sex. And then a girl seen being friendly with a guy when she's around 12 or 13, everyone giggles and says they're going out or if she only hangs out with guys they call her a whore.

I'm sixteen and people in my class do that! This one girl just likes to hang out with a lot of the guys in our class and I constantly hear one of my friends saying she wants attention and questioning why she only sits with boys at lunch.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
October 27th, 2007 at 09:11pm
It's common knowledge that girls are more sofisticated than boys. The world's most talented, brainy playwright didn't even dare bring women into his most famous play for fear that it would add a whole new dimension of sofistication. Or at least that is my view of his starkly male dominated setting.
Antithesis
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
Antithesis
November 7th, 2007 at 08:26am
Physical appearance is not the milestone for growing up. They are not growing up too fast, they are just trying to come across as being more mature. Which is actually, childish of them.
newagecarny
Was Here Two Weeks Ago
newagecarny

Mibba
November 8th, 2007 at 09:52am
EdwardOwnsMe:
i think some of them are growing up way to quickly. i also think that hollywood is playing a huge part in making that happen.

young girls want to be what they see on TV(hannah montana, lindsay lohan, hillary duff, etc). and they want to live a "hollywood" lifesyle

I'm not sure about about Hannah Montana, but Hilary Duff is a very good role model.
Register