Do You Think Praying Works?

AuthorMessage
robotchicken.
Falling In Love With The Board
robotchicken.

Mibba
September 29th, 2006 at 10:25pm
anti-christ of suburbia:
im not sure if God even exists. but i pray a lot when im in trouble, or something bad might happen. ive spent a lot of nights begging some higher power to help me and its never worked.

i think there's something out there, but whatever it is it doesnt listen to me.
IMRO You're supposed to pray all the time, not only when you need help. Just like for anything,the day,and that you got to breathe and see the next day. Thats just me.
talaan
Idiot
talaan
September 30th, 2006 at 07:20pm
Lucifers Angel:
Capri:
fancy pants:
I see it as more of a placebo.

It doesn't do anything on it's own. I don't believe in higher beings that we can communicate with through prayer. But people do it and they believe it works, and it's just like when someone takes a pill that they think will make them better, even though medically the pill does absolutely nothing, their faith in it will contribute to the favorable outcome.
That's a very interesting way of looking at it.
Personally I don't think it works. As an atheist I don't believe in getting down on my knees and praying to a higher power... because there is no higher power.

how do you know there is no higher power? (just curious has to how you can know that)

i think that what works for one person wont necessary work for another, i know that on the occassions that i have prayed they have been answered, for example when i was told by my dr's that i should abort my son because he was going to be born disabled and he wasnt, (he has adhd)

How is your son now?
talaan
Idiot
talaan
September 30th, 2006 at 07:25pm
Praying doesnt really work. Peopel pray just because they believe that God will hear their prayers.
I believe in miracle, but I never pray Smile
Plug In Baby.
Addict
Plug In Baby.
September 30th, 2006 at 08:22pm
2000~lightyearsaway:
Praying doesnt really work. Peopel pray just because they believe that God will hear their prayers.
I believe in miracle, but I never pray Smile

To you, praying doesn't work. But it means different things to different people, and for some people, it does work.
<greendayfan>
Geek
<greendayfan>
October 1st, 2006 at 01:47pm
I pray sometimes out of school and sometimes, it does sometimes it doesnt but its God's desision. I go to a catholic school and I'm not catholic, I dont know what I am. I use to go to a mormon church some months ago but I left cause I had second thoughts about it cause (please dont take offense) they had so many rules that I couldnt follow what ever I did, so I dont know what to do now.
Lucifers Angel
King For A Couple Of Days
Lucifers Angel
October 2nd, 2006 at 06:48am
[quote="<greendayfan>"]I pray sometimes out of school and sometimes, it does sometimes it doesnt but its God's desision. I go to a catholic school and I'm not catholic, I dont know what I am. I use to go to a mormon church some months ago but I left cause I had second thoughts about it cause (please dont take offense) they had so many rules that I couldnt follow what ever I did, so I dont know what to do now.[/quote]

yeah they're reules are amoungst the reasons why i left, shouldnt drink coffee, tea, you shouldnt drink, you shouldnt smoke and there are so many rules and if you do somthing wrong you have to answer to the bishop, but to me you practice religion in your own way and believe in your own way.
tom_in_a_box
Geek
tom_in_a_box
October 2nd, 2006 at 07:06am
the answer to that question depends on in what sense do you mean work? physical evidence or mental help?
Hitchcock Starlet
Addict
Hitchcock Starlet
October 6th, 2006 at 02:36pm
i think it works.
as long as you belive it will work.
The Doctor
The Doctor

Mibba Blog
October 7th, 2006 at 07:36am
It can be soothing, like a sort of counselling to your self. if that makes any sense. If you mainly, there is some people who just pray for advice, help or whatever. They'd be better off talking to a counsellor (spelling is bad, I know) or whatever.
Sylar
Sylar
October 7th, 2006 at 08:16am
Let's put it this way, I'm not getting my next tattoo; Jumalen Selan takana (Behind God's back) for shits and giggles.
billies_rebel111
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
billies_rebel111
October 15th, 2006 at 04:57am
the thing is, christians believe that god knows and has mapped out their destinies. . . so what use would praying for something to happen be if your future/destiny is already set?
worn-out astronaut.
Had A Life Before GSB
worn-out astronaut.

Mibba Blog
October 15th, 2006 at 06:27am
I believe in God and I pray. I dont go to church and I only pray once I day, but I know that deep in my heart I believe in God and I dont need anything else. I thank God and I pray for something, but not material stuff, just when something bad happens or when I worry fro somebody or just when I want something good to happen. I think praying helps me feel better, I dont know if it really works, but I believe so.
Plug In Baby.
Addict
Plug In Baby.
October 15th, 2006 at 08:05am
billies_rebel111:
the thing is, christians believe that god knows and has mapped out their destinies. . . so what use would praying for something to happen be if your future/destiny is already set?

..no they don't. I was raised in a Catholic family, I grew up in a community where people reguarly attend church, I went to a Christian school.

They don't believe that.
robotchicken.
robotchicken.

Mibba
October 16th, 2006 at 11:07pm
Praying does work for me and for my family. Im very thankful for that in every way. I pray to God every night for my brother, and it never ceases to amaze me that my brother is alive and well AND safe at that. :] Forget a new house Id rather have my brother alive anyday.
bratbassist
Idiot
bratbassist
October 19th, 2006 at 06:43am
Bloodraine:
If you want something enough, anything can work. I think this issue all comes down to how strongly you believe in something. I don't pray as such, but I believe that it does have a great deal of benefits.

Ditto
the crucible.
Idiot
the crucible.
October 20th, 2006 at 05:03pm
keyboard not found:
Bloodraine:
If you want something enough, anything can work. I think this issue all comes down to how strongly you believe in something. I don't pray as such, but I believe that it does have a great deal of benefits.

Ditto

Double ditto. That was exactly what I was going to say.
Bloodstained Hurricane
Idiot
Bloodstained Hurricane
October 21st, 2006 at 04:37pm
if you mean it and belive, then yes, otherwise, no
Emily-Cool
Emily-Cool
October 21st, 2006 at 04:45pm
I only ever pray when I am desperate, annnnd I think it depends on your faith in whether it works, personally I think it helps, but whether it works depends on the person really.. .
IxAmxMe
Geek
IxAmxMe

Blog
October 22nd, 2006 at 07:39pm
billies_rebel111:

Because God can show you the way. He wants a relationship with you; he wants to be everyone's friend. Think about it this way- If you never talked to your friends, do you think you would really be friends? God is the creator of everything. He loves you more than anyone else does unconditionally. He's your father. He just wants to know you have faith in Him.
IxAmxMe
Geek
IxAmxMe

Blog
October 22nd, 2006 at 07:43pm
Some people see prayer as a ritual. Like it's something you have to do exactly right. For instance, I've seen people pray the exact same thing over and over agian every single night. To me it just doesn't make sense. You wouldn't tell your friends or family the same exact thing every single time you talk to them. Praying to God is just like that.
Register