Do You Think Praying Works?

AuthorMessage
rollerpig
GSBitch
rollerpig
August 25th, 2006 at 07:22pm
Walking A Line:
I am not religious, so I don't think praying would work, as I don't have the religious faith.

You don't have to be religious. Dno
Maiku's Kind Ghost
King For A Couple Of Days
Maiku's Kind Ghost

Mibba
August 27th, 2006 at 10:11am
I'm Catholic and I have never seen any of my prayers directly answered.But that doesn't nessacarly mean that they weren't.
American Nimrod
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
American Nimrod
September 13th, 2006 at 03:23pm
Hellllllll no!It don't fuckin work at all!I've prayed alot and i mean alot an but no shit happens
CristhyneS
Jackass
CristhyneS

Mibba
September 13th, 2006 at 08:59pm
Bloodraine:
If you want something enough, anything can work. I think this issue all comes down to how strongly you believe in something. I don't pray as such, but I believe that it does have a great deal of benefits.

I fully support this.

I think about praying, at least for me, is that when you do it, is because you really want something, and the more you pray, whether it is that you pray out loud, or jsut in your mind, the mroe that those things you want get shapped, because you're exteriorizing those wishes just by putting them into thoughts that make sense, so you're wishing for it even harder than if it was just a thought in your head, without any shapped or sense, like "want juice orange"...

I hope that made any sense. I've tried to explain this to several of my friends, and most of them still don't get it, even thouh I explained it to them in Spanish.
warning_im_a_minority
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
warning_im_a_minority
September 14th, 2006 at 04:40pm
i dont pray....i dont really even believe in god! im an athiest. (sorry if i offended anybody!) i dont believe i will go 2 heaven....ill go in2 a hole in the ground and stay there.
abc25
abc25
September 15th, 2006 at 10:30pm
heres my take on it : I believe in god and im jewish. I dont go to church or am a religion fanatic. I pray alot though during the day and before i go to sleep. yeah i believe sometimes it does but heres the thing its nice to know i can talk to god and he or she wont judge me he or she is always there for me
.Ana.
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
.Ana.
September 19th, 2006 at 07:43pm
I don't think it works

You should have confidence in yourself.
IxAmxMe
Geek
IxAmxMe

Blog
September 20th, 2006 at 08:26pm
Well, i am a Christian but I don't pray as often as I should, but I've had many awnsered prayers when I do pray.
B.J
Falling In Love With The Board
B.J
September 21st, 2006 at 05:57am
I hope it does
even though I dont pray or ament religious
it'd be nice if it did work
but I'd say if there is a god he cant grant everything
then everyone would be bored
concentrate on the good
not the bad Very Happy
BehindBlueEyes
Jackass
BehindBlueEyes
September 21st, 2006 at 01:09pm
im not very religious but i say my prayers at night, i think they work, or i hope, i feel im happier when i pray more, maybe its just a sense of security i get from it.......
Pretty Like Drugs
Pretty Like Drugs
September 22nd, 2006 at 06:39am
fancy pants:
I see it as more of a placebo.

It doesn't do anything on it's own. I don't believe in higher beings that we can communicate with through prayer. But people do it and they believe it works, and it's just like when someone takes a pill that they think will make them better, even though medically the pill does absolutely nothing, their faith in it will contribute to the favorable outcome.
That's a very interesting way of looking at it.
Personally I don't think it works. As an atheist I don't believe in getting down on my knees and praying to a higher power... because there is no higher power.
Lucifers Angel
Lucifers Angel
September 22nd, 2006 at 11:41am
Capri:
fancy pants:

It doesn't do anything on it's own. I don't believe in higher beings that we can communicate with through prayer. But people do it and they believe it works, and it's just like when someone takes a pill that they think will make them better, even though medically the pill does absolutely nothing, their faith in it will contribute to the favorable outcome.
Personally I don't think it works. As an atheist I don't believe in getting down on my knees and praying to a higher power... because there is no higher power.

how do you know there is no higher power? (just curious has to how you can know that)

i think that what works for one person wont necessary work for another, i know that on the occassions that i have prayed they have been answered, for example when i was told by my dr's that i should abort my son because he was going to be born disabled and he wasnt, (he has adhd)
Addison Montgomery.
Addison Montgomery.

Mibba Blog
September 22nd, 2006 at 11:52am
I'm Muslim and when I pray(which I do occasionally)I seem to think that it works.
Spiders In Her Pockets
Idiot
Spiders In Her Pockets
September 22nd, 2006 at 02:35pm
I'm not very religious, but if i'm worried about something, I'll pray. Or if it's like a particular day [eg. 9/11]
grimmie666
Geek
grimmie666
September 23rd, 2006 at 02:54am
these stuff doesnt work for me... i knew someone who died cuz of cancer. he never wanted to go to the doctor cuz he believed that god will keep him alive. now look who's very dead...
Pretty Like Drugs
Pretty Like Drugs
September 24th, 2006 at 04:09am
Lucifers Angel:
Capri:
fancy pants:

how do you know there is no higher power? (just curious has to how you can know that)

i think that what works for one person wont necessary work for another, i know that on the occassions that i have prayed they have been answered, for example when i was told by my dr's that i should abort my son because he was going to be born disabled and he wasnt, (he has adhd)
Oh, when I said that I just meant for me, personally. You know, to go with the atheist thing. I didn't mean to apply it to other people as well, if you get my drift
BehindBlueEyes
Jackass
BehindBlueEyes
September 24th, 2006 at 03:13pm
grimmie666:
these stuff doesnt work for me... i knew someone who died cuz of cancer. he never wanted to go to the doctor cuz he believed that god will keep him alive. now look who's very dead...

maybe it was his time to go.....wouldnt it be better then living in pain....im not saying prayin works just looking at all the angles...
Stark Raving Lefty.
Idiot
Stark Raving Lefty.
September 29th, 2006 at 08:29am
I believe that it sometimes works. Just not in the way you expected. Although I think anyone who prays to win the lottery or something, it might not happen because it's selfish. I don't know if God exists, though.
anti-christ of suburbia
Idiot
anti-christ of suburbia

Mibba
September 29th, 2006 at 11:28am
im not sure if God even exists. but i pray a lot when im in trouble, or something bad might happen. ive spent a lot of nights begging some higher power to help me and its never worked.

i think there's something out there, but whatever it is it doesnt listen to me.
Micro Sheep
Micro Sheep
September 29th, 2006 at 03:28pm
I pray at night and I believe in God,but I'd like to go more often to the church(thing which i only do at xmas or easter).I don't expect prayers to work if you don't do something for your faith.
Register