Do You Think Praying Works?

AuthorMessage
Lucifers Angel
King For A Couple Of Days
Lucifers Angel
July 16th, 2006 at 12:42pm
suzie_k:
Personally I don't believe.
I have personal reasons and shit but what do we know about God?
Nothing!
When your a kid you believe anything.
A giant rabbit leaving chocolate eggs, a fairy taking your tooth and leaving money and a fat man dressed in red coming to your house with flying reindeer and coming down your chimney with gift.
Think about it.
We know more about the above than we do about God, and we know for a fact they aren't real.

We know Adam and Eve aren't real. They were made up because the bible needed an opening chapter.
So therefore God didn't create people.
And if he didn't create people I'm pretty sure he didn't create the universe in 6 days.

The Bible is nothing but a series of stories used to show how we should live our lives.

But I can understand people believeing.
People want to believe there is something more.
Some people want to think there is a God so they can blame their problems on a higher power.

But, you know, I admire people who believe in something they dont know exists.
Because thats what faith is.
It's believeing in something you can't see, you can't hear and you can't touch.

have you ever seen a dainosaur? How do we know they are real, they could be some made up story, that is the same ahs saying the bible isnt real of god isnt real.
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
July 16th, 2006 at 12:44pm
Magne:
suzie_k:
Nothing!
A giant rabbit leaving chocolate eggs, a fairy taking your tooth and leaving money and a fat man dressed in red coming to your house with flying reindeer and coming down your chimney with gift.
Think about it.
We know more about the above than we do about God, and we know for a fact they aren't real.

We know Adam and Eve aren't real. They were made up because the bible needed an opening chapter.
And if he didn't create people I'm pretty sure he didn't create the universe in 6 days.

The Bible is nothing but a series of stories used to show how we should live our lives.

Some people want to think there is a God so they can blame their problems on a higher power.

have you ever seen a dainosaur? How do we know they are real, they could be some made up story, that is the same ahs saying the bible isnt real of god isnt real.

We have found fossils and remains of dinosaurs....
Lucifers Angel
Lucifers Angel
July 16th, 2006 at 12:46pm
I_worship_tre_Cool:
Magne:
suzie_k:
Nothing!
Think about it.

We have found fossils and remains of dinosaurs....

and what about the gold plates that were dug up a few years ago what are they, swiss cheese? They have found many buried buildings that are relevant to the bible aswell, what about them?
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
July 16th, 2006 at 12:48pm
Magne:

and what about the gold plates that were dug up a few years ago what are they, swiss cheese? They have found many buried buildings that are relevant to the bible aswell, what about them?

The bible is a great historical book, some of it is accurate. Other parts of it, in some peoples opinions, are not. Some people think the religious beliefes are total garbage.

A building doesnt prove there is a God.
Lucifers Angel
Lucifers Angel
July 16th, 2006 at 12:49pm
I_worship_tre_Cool:
Magne:

The bible is a great historical book, some of it is accurate. Other parts of it, in some peoples opinions, are not. Some people think the religious beliefes are total garbage.

fossils dont necessary mean that dinosaurs are or were real either. The bible is the greatest book alive and anyone who says differantly is a prat.
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
July 16th, 2006 at 12:52pm
Magne:
I_worship_tre_Cool:
Magne:

fossils dont necessary mean that dinosaurs are or were real either. The bible is the greatest book alive and anyone who says differantly is a prat.

Don't insult people, because alot of people think the bible is a giant pile of crap, and you can't, won't, and shall not call them "prats".

Fossils are tangable evidence. We know they were there, we have proof. Now you tell me what proof there is that God exists and that he answers prayers.
Lucifers Angel
Lucifers Angel
July 16th, 2006 at 12:54pm
I_worship_tre_Cool:
Magne:
I_worship_tre_Cool:
Magne:

Don't insult people, because alot of people think the bible is a giant pile of crap, and you can't, won't, and shall not call them "prats".

Fossils are tangable evidence. We know they were there, we have proof. Now you tell me what proof there is that God exists and that he answers prayers.

i do have a story but its very personal to me and my kids, can you seriously think that the world and all the animals and us are coincidence?

And your right i shouldnt call anyone prats i consider myself told. i wont do it again.
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
July 16th, 2006 at 01:00pm
Magne:
I_worship_tre_Cool:
Magne:
I_worship_tre_Cool:
Magne:

i do have a story but its very personal to me and my kids, can you seriously think that the world and all the animals and us are coincidence?

Never Once have I said what my opinion on this matter is, I just asked you what proof you had that god existed. Then you shot out all these things that did anything but prove God existed.

My whole point was how narrowminded each side of this arguement was, it turned into you imsulting anyone who disagreed with you! And I have seen other do the same.

Religion is a very strong subject to debate, because their is no correct answer. You can not prove either side of the arguement. You can base what you wish on science, or the bible, but the fact of the matter is, you can't prove either side.

Science doesnt tell us enough to prove that everything was created without a supreme being, and the bible doesnt tell us enough to prove theat their truely is a God.

What it comes down to is your faith, and no one elses. I think this thread is pointless beyond all reason. If you have religious beliefs, of course you're going to feel a connection, and feel as if praying works. If you don't believe God exists, why would you think he answers prayers.

This thread is going no where, and it won't. Because either way, people are going to be narrowminded because when you discuss religion, you dig up strong, personal feelings, that typically are not changed by anyone but yourself.
spill_no_sick
Falling In Love With The Board
spill_no_sick
July 17th, 2006 at 02:35am
I_worship_tre_Cool:
Magne:
I_worship_tre_Cool:
Magne:
I_worship_tre_Cool:
Magne:

Never Once have I said what my opinion on this matter is, I just asked you what proof you had that god existed. Then you shot out all these things that did anything but prove God existed.

My whole point was how narrowminded each side of this arguement was, it turned into you imsulting anyone who disagreed with you! And I have seen other do the same.

Religion is a very strong subject to debate, because their is no correct answer. You can not prove either side of the arguement. You can base what you wish on science, or the bible, but the fact of the matter is, you can't prove either side.

Science doesnt tell us enough to prove that everything was created without a supreme being, and the bible doesnt tell us enough to prove theat their truely is a God.

What it comes down to is your faith, and no one elses. I think this thread is pointless beyond all reason. If you have religious beliefs, of course you're going to feel a connection, and feel as if praying works. If you don't believe God exists, why would you think he answers prayers.

This thread is going no where, and it won't. Because either way, people are going to be narrowminded because when you discuss religion, you dig up strong, personal feelings, that typically are not changed by anyone but yourself.
hello, aren't you the one who kept questioning the Bible and asking how we know God exists and answers prayers?

want to know the Biblical answer to that question?
we don't
that's the answer: we don't know

that's the whole point in "Faith"
if you have tangible evidence then it isn't faith anymore it's fact
agnostics are (as Stephen Colbert says) athiests without balls
they say, "we don't confirm or deny anything, if there is a God we're waiting for proof"

guess what, when you get the proof, it doesn't even matter, because then the point of faith is lost

and whoever said non-believers are brave because they believe, that's bull, if you believe you're just as brave
you're subject to ridicule, you might waste your whole life but you'll never find out

it's the same on both sides logically because we don't know the final outcome, and there are two sides

whatever, I'm just saying: we don't know, if we did then faith would be pointless
Incubus
Jackass
Incubus
July 17th, 2006 at 11:16am
spill_no_sick:
Incubus:
I'm not a big fan of that "forgiveness and you're forgiven" craic

So what, you can just murder someone and then just go
"Dear God, I'm sorry for killing that person, it was an impluse, I didn't mean it, I wont do it again"
And everythings just fine?

And how does anyone know that even works? How do we know that God (if he does even exsist) just forgives people like that?
We don't, we don't know anything about it. So I don't think people should be telling others "this is how this works" like its a fact.
if he does exist then it would be true that he laid down the rules for the Bible and he would have wanted that said

and it does seem amazing doesn't it
you can just say, "sorry" and you're forgiven (but of course he knows when you mean it so that fills the loophole right up

But god didn't write the bible, humans wrote it. The only prober rules "he" laid down were the Ten commandments which if I remember correctly were along the lines of "Thou shall not kill" not "Thou shall not kill but thou does, if thy is truely sorry, thou will be forgiven"
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
July 17th, 2006 at 11:57am
spill_no_sick:
hello, aren't you the one who kept questioning the Bible and asking how we know God exists and answers prayers?

want to know the Biblical answer to that question?
we don't
that's the answer: we don't know

that's the whole point in "Faith"
if you have tangible evidence then it isn't faith anymore it's fact
agnostics are (as Stephen Colbert says) athiests without balls
they say, "we don't confirm or deny anything, if there is a God we're waiting for proof"

guess what, when you get the proof, it doesn't even matter, because then the point of faith is lost

and whoever said non-believers are brave because they believe, that's bull, if you believe you're just as brave
you're subject to ridicule, you might waste your whole life but you'll never find out

it's the same on both sides logically because we don't know the final outcome, and there are two sides

whatever, I'm just saying: we don't know, if we did then faith would be pointless

..... Did you read my post? I never said how I felt about the matter, I just asked her to prove why what she saying was correct, and she couldnt. why? because you can't like I, and you, just said.

I_worship_tre_Cool:

I just hate debates like this, because it can't go anywhere. No one is going to change their minds, so never see any point in putting how I actually feel about the subject. the only time I come in these is when people act like what they're saying is somehow more correct then someone elses and they absolutely have to be right, because both sides lack proof.
TheFaggot
TheFaggot
July 17th, 2006 at 02:56pm
Even if there are no such thing as a god praying does help atleast the one praying, lifting the persons spirit. And if you were seriously ill, wouldn't it help knowing that people were thinking about you, wishing you would get better?
Comic tragedy
Idiot
Comic tragedy
July 17th, 2006 at 04:59pm
To be honest, I don't think it works. I just think of it as thinking or talking to nothing. You're just talking or thinking. You're not actually praying.
robotchicken.
robotchicken.

Mibba
July 17th, 2006 at 08:05pm
Incubus:
spill_no_sick:
Incubus:
I'm not a big fan of that "forgiveness and you're forgiven" craic

So what, you can just murder someone and then just go
"Dear God, I'm sorry for killing that person, it was an impluse, I didn't mean it, I wont do it again"
And everythings just fine?

And how does anyone know that even works? How do we know that God (if he does even exsist) just forgives people like that?
We don't, we don't know anything about it. So I don't think people should be telling others "this is how this works" like its a fact.
if he does exist then it would be true that he laid down the rules for the Bible and he would have wanted that said

and it does seem amazing doesn't it
you can just say, "sorry" and you're forgiven (but of course he knows when you mean it so that fills the loophole right up

But god didn't write the bible, humans wrote it. The only prober rules "he" laid down were the Ten commandments which if I remember correctly were along the lines of "Thou shall not kill" not "Thou shall not kill but thou does, if thy is truely sorry, thou will be forgiven"
God told them what to write >< The Ten Commandments came before the son of God [if im correct] Before that to be forgiven you'd have to sacrifice an animal or something. After the son of God you could ask forgiveness cause thats what he died for. He gave us a second chance.
iamkiller
Basket Case
iamkiller

Mibba
July 17th, 2006 at 08:19pm
As much as I say I dont believe in stuff like that, you find yourself 'praying' once in awhile.

It just seems to come up, I guess.
If something horrible happens.. you tend to 'hope' or 'wish'.. That may be the same thing Think
SodasGirl
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
SodasGirl
July 18th, 2006 at 03:55am
Rockaholic380:
To be honest, I don't think it works. I just think of it as thinking or talking to nothing. You're just talking or thinking. You're not actually praying.

Well, I must say, when I pray, I am praying. When I talk, I am talking. When I think, I am thinking.

It all comes down to belief. If you don't believe in something, it's not going to be real to you. But that doesn't mean it isn't real.
Incubus
Jackass
Incubus
July 18th, 2006 at 06:07am
Sheepo@_@:
God told them what to write >< The Ten Commandments came before the son of God [if im correct] Before that to be forgiven you'd have to sacrifice an animal or something. After the son of God you could ask forgiveness cause thats what he died for. He gave us a second chance.

Or at least that's what we're told, I find it odd that God could only certain people when they are on there own and over enough lenght of time for that person to make it up, bit suspicious.
Also you just pointed out another thing that makes no sense; We killed God's son so now we get forgiven for all our sins? I mean he's God, if he wanted to forgive us, he could have he didn't need some great sacrifice to do it. And why the big change of heart? In the old testament God was a right bastard all for punishment, drowning everyone except his favourite few, killing the Egyptians, entirety in hell and women as lesser beings than men, but then in the new testament suddenly God love us all equally and everyone is forgiven.
Also since we're on the subject of this son of God thing, aren't we all suppose to be God's children? Since he did create us.
Kitti
Kitti
July 18th, 2006 at 09:15am
Incubus:
Or at least that's what we're told, I find it odd that God could only certain people when they are on there own and over enough lenght of time for that person to make it up, bit suspicious.
Also you just pointed out another thing that makes no sense; We killed God's son so now we get forgiven for all our sins? I mean he's God, if he wanted to forgive us, he could have he didn't need some great sacrifice to do it. And why the big change of heart? In the old testament God was a right bastard all for punishment, drowning everyone except his favourite few, killing the Egyptians, entirety in hell and women as lesser beings than men, but then in the new testament suddenly God love us all equally and everyone is forgiven.
Also since we're on the subject of this son of God thing, aren't we all suppose to be God's children? Since he did create us.
Each time humanity witnessed the wrath of God in the Bible, there were given another chance. A chance to be good, to be rid of all of those sins, the corruption. So God sent his son, to see what could be done for it. The premise of Christianity is this--people dealt their worst blow to God, killing his son. And both forgave humanity for that. That is why Christianity says that if you ask for forgiveness, you are forgiven. Ideally, this works the same way among humans, we are supposed to forgive each other too.
robotchicken.
robotchicken.

Mibba
July 18th, 2006 at 07:23pm
Incubus:
Sheepo@_@:

Thats suppose to tell us how much he loves us and how much he was willing to forgive us. I mean he gave us his SON.
dirtyhippie
Geek
dirtyhippie
July 18th, 2006 at 08:10pm
Well here's a story.

Mom couldn't find her wallet and car keys one day. She got incredibly worked up, throwing the cushions around, etc. She went out to the meditation yurt we had (at the time, we were living in this AMAZING house in the country...i'll tell you about it if you like) and sat, meditating on the keys and asking the Kuan Yin where her stuff was. she stayed out there meditating for a half-hour or so. She was walking back to the main yurt and remembered where they were, rushed inside and snapped them up.

So there's the power of prayer. It helps ya find stuff. Also it's therapeutic, calms ya down, yadda yadda. It's a great thing, contemplation and prayer.
Register