Do You Think Praying Works?

AuthorMessage
SodasGirl
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
SodasGirl
July 11th, 2006 at 10:33am
anti-christ of suburbia:
God only listens to 'important' people. he's too busy giving the assholes of this world all they want to listen to us. thats why the phrase 'only the good die young' is true

Okay, that is EXTREMELY insulting. I would prefer that you do not call me an asshole for the simple reason I have had prayers answered. I don't know if I would be considered "important" by you, most likely not, but I- and I'm sure I'm not alone here- am offended by your statement.
Sylar
Falling In Love With The Board
Sylar
July 12th, 2006 at 01:44am
Sheepo@_@:
spill_no_sick:
Sheepo@_@:
Mikko Lindstrom:
I don't personally think so- I mean, I was raised a Christian and until I was about 13 (when I started reading into religion, occult history and several other things) I prayed to God for a lot of reasons almost daily.
I can't say, looking back on my childhood, he ever responded in any way whatsoever. I mean, I didn't have a bad childhood, but he just never quite got back to me.

I'm a Pagan now and am so, so much happier for it. I mean each and every one of the seven 'deadly' sins (lust, sloth, gluttony, wrath, greed, pride and envy) is human nature. To repress those urges has got to drive one insane to some degree.

WOW. I managed to get bloody off topic just then.
four of them I can repress the other three are kinda impulses that I really cant control :/
you don't go to hell if you do them, just ask for forgiveness and you're forgiven
damn, it's not that hard
I never said it was hard o_o I just said 4 of those for me are like impulses, and yes ask for forgiveness those who are of the same faith as I. Though some people find it hard.

You shouldn't have to repress them though. They're instinct!
The Last Firstborn.
Addict
The Last Firstborn.
July 13th, 2006 at 01:51pm
Yes, I pray and my prayers have been answered. I'm not sure if it works for everyone but it's a way to communicate with the Almighty. It works for me though.
Lucifers Angel
King For A Couple Of Days
Lucifers Angel
July 13th, 2006 at 02:18pm
Mikko Lindstrom:
Sheepo@_@:
spill_no_sick:
Sheepo@_@:
Mikko Lindstrom:
I don't personally think so- I mean, I was raised a Christian and until I was about 13 (when I started reading into religion, occult history and several other things) I prayed to God for a lot of reasons almost daily.
I can't say, looking back on my childhood, he ever responded in any way whatsoever. I mean, I didn't have a bad childhood, but he just never quite got back to me.

I'm a Pagan now and am so, so much happier for it. I mean each and every one of the seven 'deadly' sins (lust, sloth, gluttony, wrath, greed, pride and envy) is human nature. To repress those urges has got to drive one insane to some degree.

four of them I can repress the other three are kinda impulses that I really cant control :/
you don't go to hell if you do them, just ask for forgiveness and you're forgiven
damn, it's not that hard
I never said it was hard o_o I just said 4 of those for me are like impulses, and yes ask for forgiveness those who are of the same faith as I. Though some people find it hard.

vicars, nuns, and priests repress urges all the time, because they believe that it makes them closer to god.
rollerpig
GSBitch
rollerpig
July 13th, 2006 at 02:39pm
spill_no_sick:
Sheepo@_@:
Mikko Lindstrom:

damn, it's not that hard

You ask for forgiveness and you're forgiven o______o ?!
robotchicken.
robotchicken.

Mibba
July 13th, 2006 at 09:00pm
Mikko Lindstrom:
Sheepo@_@:
spill_no_sick:
Sheepo@_@:
Mikko Lindstrom:

damn, it's not that hard

I can give up being greedy, wrath, sloth, pride, and envy You know what actually I can repress most all of them .-.
spill_no_sick
spill_no_sick
July 14th, 2006 at 01:46pm
Mikko Lindstrom:
Sheepo@_@:
spill_no_sick:
Sheepo@_@:
Mikko Lindstrom:

damn, it's not that hard

we know that
but just because you know it will happen doesn't mean you shouldn't try to stop it
you're just compensating for your fear of failure because you know that if you try to suppress urges it is impossible and you are quite right
but if you want to know: you will screw up, but you're forgiven for asking for forgiveness so even if you fail you win

it's like taking a test
but fail and pass don't matter
if you trust the teacher you pass the class
so you could fail the test and pass the test
or pass the test and fail the class
or fail both and find a way to compensate
XxDemolition LoversxX
Idiot
XxDemolition LoversxX
July 15th, 2006 at 05:41pm
I don't beleive in praying and living your life by a book (bible, Etc.). I feel that everyone must be their own person and not follow something that they have not seen nor known. If the bible was to tell its religious followers to jump off a bridge would they do it? Sadly a majority of them would. It is in my conclusion that believing in yourself - not a god, is the way to be.
spill_no_sick
spill_no_sick
July 15th, 2006 at 06:16pm
Vikki:
I don't beleive in praying and living your life by a book (bible, Etc.). I feel that everyone must be their own person and not follow something that they have not seen nor known. If the bible was to tell its religious followers to jump off a bridge would they do it? Sadly a majority of them would. It is in my conclusion that believing in yourself - not a god, is the way to be.
if it told us to jump off a bridge we'd know how obviously phony it is and not many would do it....they already died by suicide bombings epecting 77 virgins in Heaven
Incubus
Jackass
Incubus
July 15th, 2006 at 06:16pm
I'm not a big fan of that "forgiveness and you're forgiven" craic

So what, you can just murder someone and then just go
"Dear God, I'm sorry for killing that person, it was an impluse, I didn't mean it, I wont do it again"
And everythings just fine?

And how does anyone know that even works? How do we know that God (if he does even exsist) just forgives people like that?
We don't, we don't know anything about it. So I don't think people should be telling others "this is how this works" like its a fact.
spill_no_sick
spill_no_sick
July 15th, 2006 at 06:52pm
Incubus:

"Dear God, I'm sorry for killing that person, it was an impluse, I didn't mean it, I wont do it again"

And how does anyone know that even works? How do we know that God (if he does even exsist) just forgives people like that?
We don't, we don't know anything about it. So I don't think people should be telling others "this is how this works" like its a fact.
if he does exist then it would be true that he laid down the rules for the Bible and he would have wanted that said

and it does seem amazing doesn't it
you can just say, "sorry" and you're forgiven (but of course he knows when you mean it so that fills the loophole right up
robotchicken.
robotchicken.

Mibba
July 15th, 2006 at 08:13pm
spill_no_sick:
Incubus:

if he does exist then it would be true that he laid down the rules for the Bible and he would have wanted that said

and it does seem amazing doesn't it
you can just say, "sorry" and you're forgiven (but of course he knows when you mean it so that fills the loophole right up
Yes, you have to REALLY TRULY mean it. You cant say, "Oh Im sorry, whatever.." It has to be meant, God can see in your heart.
Sylar
Sylar
July 16th, 2006 at 01:36am
spill_no_sick:
Mikko Lindstrom:
Sheepo@_@:
spill_no_sick:
Sheepo@_@:
Mikko Lindstrom:

damn, it's not that hard

we know that
but just because you know it will happen doesn't mean you shouldn't try to stop it
you're just compensating for your fear of failure because you know that if you try to suppress urges it is impossible and you are quite right
but if you want to know: you will screw up, but you're forgiven for asking for forgiveness so even if you fail you win

it's like taking a test
but fail and pass don't matter
if you trust the teacher you pass the class
so you could fail the test and pass the test
or pass the test and fail the class
or fail both and find a way to compensate

Don't you dare tell me I'm compensating. I'm a proud Pagan and let me assure you I will not be asking your 'God' to forgive me for things that aren't a crime OR sin.
robotchicken.
robotchicken.

Mibba
July 16th, 2006 at 01:54am
whats compensating mean? o.0
Sylar
Sylar
July 16th, 2006 at 04:12am
When you make up for something... Like if a guy has a tiny dick, he'll buy a big car or something. It's the only way I can think to describe it haha
Lucifers Angel
King For A Couple Of Days
Lucifers Angel
July 16th, 2006 at 05:00am
Mikko Lindstrom:
When you make up for something... Like if a guy has a tiny dick, he'll buy a big car or something. It's the only way I can think to describe it haha

lmfao lmfao
XxDemolition LoversxX
Idiot
XxDemolition LoversxX
July 16th, 2006 at 07:08am
spill_no_sick:
Vikki:
if it told us to jump off a bridge we'd know how obviously phony it is and not many would do it....they already died by suicide bombings epecting 77 virgins in Heaven
Yeah the muslim suicide attacks on 7/7 & 9/11 were influenced by being told they would go to 'Paradise' So yeah, They would commit suicide if they were told to.
suzie_k
suzie_k
July 16th, 2006 at 10:28am
Personally I don't believe.
I have personal reasons and shit but what do we know about God?
Nothing!
When your a kid you believe anything.
A giant rabbit leaving chocolate eggs, a fairy taking your tooth and leaving money and a fat man dressed in red coming to your house with flying reindeer and coming down your chimney with gift.
Think about it.
We know more about the above than we do about God, and we know for a fact they aren't real.

We know Adam and Eve aren't real. They were made up because the bible needed an opening chapter.
So therefore God didn't create people.
And if he didn't create people I'm pretty sure he didn't create the universe in 6 days.

The Bible is nothing but a series of stories used to show how we should live our lives.

But I can understand people believeing.
People want to believe there is something more.
Some people want to think there is a God so they can blame their problems on a higher power.

But, you know, I admire people who believe in something they dont know exists.
Because thats what faith is.
It's believeing in something you can't see, you can't hear and you can't touch.
Kitti
Kitti
July 16th, 2006 at 10:38am
suzie_k:
We know Adam and Eve aren't real. They were made up because the bible needed an opening chapter.
So therefore God didn't create people.
And if he didn't create people I'm pretty sure he didn't create the universe in 6 days.

The Bible is nothing but a series of stories used to show how we should live our lives.

But I can understand people believeing.
People want to believe there is something more.
Some people want to think there is a God so they can blame their problems on a higher power.

But, you know, I admire people who believe in something they dont know exists.
Because thats what faith is.
It's believeing in something you can't see, you can't hear and you can't touch.
It's quite pathetic that no one looks at the Bible metaphorically anymore. As if it were maybe the biggest collaboration in the history of literature.
But you're right about the stories. That's the value of the Bible. A way to live your life. Anyone who throws out Christianity as worthless is missing that. It's kept morals in families for centuries.
A friend of mine said to me once "It takes balls not to believe in a god. What if you're wrong?" Then I'm wrong. But if this god being is anyone I'd get along with, said being won't mind that I don't believe in its existence. And if not, not really a being I want anything to do with.
Christians, Muslims, Atheists, Jews, Hindus, Buddhists...all are the same. All religions are one. Denomination does not matter. What you call your higher power does not matter.
The Christian God is existence and non-existence.
Do you see?
Logic doesn't matter when dealing with the matter of divinity.
suzie_k
suzie_k
July 16th, 2006 at 10:59am
Kitti:
It's quite pathetic that no one looks at the Bible metaphorically anymore. As if it were maybe the biggest collaboration in the history of literature.
But you're right about the stories. That's the value of the Bible. A way to live your life. Anyone who throws out Christianity as worthless is missing that. It's kept morals in families for centuries.
A friend of mine said to me once "It takes balls not to believe in a god. What if you're wrong?" Then I'm wrong. But if this god being is anyone I'd get along with, said being won't mind that I don't believe in its existence. And if not, not really a being I want anything to do with.
Christians, Muslims, Atheists, Jews, Hindus, Buddhists...all are the same. All religions are one. Denomination does not matter. What you call your higher power does not matter.
The Christian God is existence and non-existence.
Do you see?
Logic doesn't matter when dealing with the matter of divinity.

It seems nowdays logic doen't matter with anything
Register