Do You Think Praying Works?

AuthorMessage
rollerpig
GSBitch
rollerpig
July 19th, 2006 at 03:47pm
dirtyhippie:
Well here's a story.

Mom couldn't find her wallet and car keys one day. She got incredibly worked up, throwing the cushions around, etc. She went out to the meditation yurt we had (at the time, we were living in this AMAZING house in the country...i'll tell you about it if you like) and sat, meditating on the keys and asking the Kuan Yin where her stuff was. she stayed out there meditating for a half-hour or so. She was walking back to the main yurt and remembered where they were, rushed inside and snapped them up.

So there's the power of prayer. It helps ya find stuff. Also it's therapeutic, calms ya down, yadda yadda. It's a great thing, contemplation and prayer.

It's the same thing with .. Yoga or something ..
She calmed down.
spill_no_sick
Falling In Love With The Board
spill_no_sick
July 19th, 2006 at 05:38pm
Incubus:
Sheepo@_@:
God told them what to write >< The Ten Commandments came before the son of God [if im correct] Before that to be forgiven you'd have to sacrifice an animal or something. After the son of God you could ask forgiveness cause thats what he died for. He gave us a second chance.

Or at least that's what we're told, I find it odd that God could only certain people when they are on there own and over enough lenght of time for that person to make it up, bit suspicious.
Also you just pointed out another thing that makes no sense; We killed God's son so now we get forgiven for all our sins? I mean he's God, if he wanted to forgive us, he could have he didn't need some great sacrifice to do it. And why the big change of heart? In the old testament God was a right bastard all for punishment, drowning everyone except his favourite few, killing the Egyptians, entirety in hell and women as lesser beings than men, but then in the new testament suddenly God love us all equally and everyone is forgiven.
Also since we're on the subject of this son of God thing, aren't we all suppose to be God's children? Since he did create us.

no, he didn't command women to unfair treatment and stuff like that, that be the work of Satan/Lucifer/devil/Beezelbub/etc.
it's the same rules now as it was then, except now we don't have to make sacrafices to be forgiven, our sacrafices weren't good enough so God had to make a sacrafice seeing as how he is the only one to make a sacrafice good enough for humanity
and Jesus is called his son, but that's a metaphor, Jesus was just God on Earth, "his only son" refers to the fact that there is only one God in Heaven, therefor one God can come to Earth
and "if God was real how come he doesn't show himself now" is one of the oldest questions used to disprove Christianity
and now I will answer in hopes you never ask again

"father son and holy ghost"
at first there was the Father, he was the original guy in charge
he was the one who talked to people, called them out, etc.
then Jesus came, and he was the one who talked to people and etc.
then Jesus died....and so now we're called out by The Holy Spirit
so we can't hear God and he can't actually talk to us because we have to sense the Holy Spirit
and yes, we are all God's children, point?
Rockaway Beach
Jackass
Rockaway Beach
July 19th, 2006 at 10:42pm
Depends what you believe i suppose.

I'm not a christian, but i do believe Jesus was a very good man. Its common for people to pray to ancestors, people who have passed away. I would pray to jesus for different kinds of help, but i don't believe he was the son of god or that he was of any kind of divinity.

I also believe that the bible we have today is nothing like the one jesus would have wrote. Didn't Constantine the great order all copies of the then current bible to be burnt after he had people write a new one? Why do that if you truly believed in the message he was giving?
SodasGirl
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
SodasGirl
July 22nd, 2006 at 07:10am
Give Be Novacaine!!1:
dirtyhippie:
Well here's a story.

Mom couldn't find her wallet and car keys one day. She got incredibly worked up, throwing the cushions around, etc. She went out to the meditation yurt we had (at the time, we were living in this AMAZING house in the country...i'll tell you about it if you like) and sat, meditating on the keys and asking the Kuan Yin where her stuff was. she stayed out there meditating for a half-hour or so. She was walking back to the main yurt and remembered where they were, rushed inside and snapped them up.

So there's the power of prayer. It helps ya find stuff. Also it's therapeutic, calms ya down, yadda yadda. It's a great thing, contemplation and prayer.

She calmed down.

How do you know she wasn't calm when she started looking for her wallet and keys?
Insert_Clever_Saying_Here
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
Insert_Clever_Saying_Here
August 2nd, 2006 at 12:57pm
I think that whether there is some "big guy upstairs" or not praying helps. It allows people to get things off their chest and to talk/think about whatevers on their mind and it makes people feel more at ease. So hey, why not, it's not hurting anyone.
American_Smartie
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
American_Smartie
August 2nd, 2006 at 08:31pm
I don't really. But I used to and I sometimes still do because it is nice to, like, get it sort of off your chest or talk/think about whatevers on your mind...
dirtyhippie
Geek
dirtyhippie
August 3rd, 2006 at 01:38pm
SodasGirl:
Give Be Novacaine!!1:
dirtyhippie:
Well here's a story.

She calmed down.

How do you know she wasn't calm when she started looking for her wallet and keys?

She was when she started looking. But she got more wound up as the search continued and still no keys, like pretty much everyone does.
Gilly the Goldfish
Jackass
Gilly the Goldfish
August 4th, 2006 at 10:55am
i could do...i try it sometimes just to see if there really is a God i figured that if there was he'd answer whether i believed or not
robotchicken.
Falling In Love With The Board
robotchicken.

Mibba
August 5th, 2006 at 12:46am
Gilly the Goldfish:
i could do...i try it sometimes just to see if there really is a God i figured that if there was he'd answer whether i believed or not
Thats not how it works .-. But thats a story for another day.
love.
King For A Couple Of Days
love.
August 6th, 2006 at 08:19pm
this is a good topic. personally..i think praying does help...just have some faith and pray, thats what i do.
michaeldirnt
Idiot
michaeldirnt
August 9th, 2006 at 12:15pm
i dont think when you pray god or whoever helps but i believe it makes you think if youve lost something and calm down kinda like meditation so you find what you are looking for, think more about whatever make desicions. i think praying is kinda like talikng to yourself which i do a lot but i dont pray but if i want a situation to change or something and i say it to myself it helps you think better.(sorry if that didnt make sense). praying is not my thing though i think you should be gratefull no matter how shit your life is but you should be gratefull to people who help you in life not to god or whoever because in the end do you really think he helped you sort whatever problem out if so thats your opinion but i personally think no. i also agree with whoever said it was like placebo i guess it kinda comforts and take some pain away for people if they think some god is going to take care of the problem

ohohohoh off topic but dance this beat person your post count is 409 YAY take a moment to celebrate this great day Very Happy
Ikickedyourdog
Geek
Ikickedyourdog
August 9th, 2006 at 01:41pm
Oaky dunno if anyone has mentioned this but there was once an experiment where a scientist had three identical bottles of water.
He looked at them under a microscope before hand and all had the same structure.
One he prayed to with loving thoughts
One he prayed to twith thankful thoughts
And the last one he prayed to with hateful thoughts
The next day he looked at the structure of each of the waters under a microscope and the structure had changed.
All 3 were diffrent.

So dunna what you think of that but meh. Sorry if i got a detail of it wrong
Intoxication
Intoxication
August 9th, 2006 at 01:49pm
xXxbringme2lifexXx:
Oaky dunno if anyone has mentioned this but there was once an experiment where a scientist had three identical bottles of water.
He looked at them under a microscope before hand and all had the same structure.
The next day he looked at the structure of each of the waters under a microscope and the structure had changed.
All 3 were diffrent.

well I dunno, but I dont believe that's story is true, I'm maybe wrong, but it sounds kinda silly to me,
btw when I usually pray for something it happens, I think there's something bout praying that helps, dunno is it God or something else, or even something bout us, but it helps (at leased to me)
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
August 9th, 2006 at 01:52pm
In the words of Jimini Cricket, 'When you wish upon a star,
Makes no difference who you are
Anything your heart desires
Will come to you.'
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
August 9th, 2006 at 01:53pm
Bascially what alot of people are saying is, reguradless of if God exists or not, praying relaxes people (some) and relieves tension. for alot of people it's almost like a safty net, that despite what goes wrong, they have someone/something to go to and express their concerns. It's a mental comfort zone.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
August 9th, 2006 at 01:55pm
Devil's lil sister:
xXxbringme2lifexXx:
All 3 were diffrent.

well I dunno, but I dont believe that's story is true, I'm maybe wrong, but it sounds kinda silly to me,
btw when I usually pray for something it happens, I think there's something bout praying that helps, dunno is it God or something else, or even something bout us, but it helps (at leased to me)
What do you mean, the structure of the water. I may only have a flimsy GCSE for chemistry, but I do believe that the 'structure' of water can't just simply change.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
August 9th, 2006 at 01:56pm
I don't know about praying, but are you superstitious? On the day the Ottawa Senators lost, I walked under a ladder and a black cat crossed my path.
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
August 9th, 2006 at 02:00pm
Anji:
What do you mean, the structure of the water. I may only have a flimsy GCSE for chemistry, but I do believe that the 'structure' of water can't just simply change.

lmfao exactly. If the structure of the Water changed, it wouldnt be water anymore...
Peardrops
Addict
Peardrops

Blog
August 9th, 2006 at 02:14pm
"Cosmic ordering" works better than praying, i've found.

I asked the universe to help me meet Rik Mayall and now he has my radish. Very Happy
Intoxication
Intoxication
August 9th, 2006 at 02:35pm
sorry if it's a stupid question but whats "Cosmic ordering"?
Register