Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
March 4th, 2007 at 12:23pm
Bloodraine:
Kurtni:
Bloodraine:
UltraViolet InfraRed:
good point...just one thing - the world can never be perfect, it would be unnatural if everything were perfect.

Nature doesn't exist anymore. We killed it.

Weren't you going to make a thread about human nature? (or the lack of it) I remember you or steph talking about it awhile ago.

Coffee you should.

I'll get right on it Image

Image Good!
Flaming Phalanges!
Basket Case
Flaming Phalanges!
March 4th, 2007 at 01:00pm
I'm not religious, mostly because I don't want to rely on something that we have no proof actually exists, but I don't mind people who are religious, because it's their choice.

I just can't stand it when they try to shove their beliefs down your throat and tell you you're going to go to hell for like, walking in a straight line. And this is all religions, not just christianity.

But having said that, I tend to find that people who ARE religious, and don't take it too far do tend to be better people. The only problem I see with it is that they try to be good people because they're scared of God, rather than just trying to be good people.

And honestly, I think muslims get so much more shit than Christians do. Because of a few extremist twats, EVERYBODY hates muslims. It's just really unfair that because of terrorists and all shit like that, every single muslim in the world is perceived as a terrorist.
Plug In Baby.
Addict
Plug In Baby.
March 5th, 2007 at 04:53am
Flaming Phalanges!:

But having said that, I tend to find that people who ARE religious, and don't take it too far do tend to be better people. The only problem I see with it is that they try to be good people because they're scared of God, rather than just trying to be good people.

K so basically, I was brought up in a catholic community, where everyone is very religious. But none of them, and I know like, 500 of these people (small town, everyone knows everyone), tries to be a better person because they're scared of god.
Flaming Phalanges!
Basket Case
Flaming Phalanges!
March 5th, 2007 at 07:11am
Coff:
Flaming Phalanges!:

K so basically, I was brought up in a catholic community, where everyone is very religious. But none of them, and I know like, 500 of these people (small town, everyone knows everyone), tries to be a better person because they're scared of god.

ALright, put it this way, how many people are good because they want to be rewarded in heaven?

Or they don't want to go to hell?

That's fear of god judging you and sending you somewhere you don't want to go.

Cos let's face it, how many people, gun to their head, are saintly people because it's their choice. I mean people are good, because they want to be as well, but with religion it's like "If you don't do this then you're going to hell" so everybody does it.

Repent your sins before it's too late, all of that. Why do people repent? Because they don't want to go to hell...because they're scared of God.

I know that was slightly repetetive and jumbled but that's just how my mind's working right now.
Plug In Baby.
Addict
Plug In Baby.
March 5th, 2007 at 07:40am
Flaming Phalanges!:

ALright, put it this way, how many people are good because they want to be rewarded in heaven?

Or they don't want to go to hell?

That's fear of god judging you and sending you somewhere you don't want to go.

Cos let's face it, how many people, gun to their head, are saintly people because it's their choice. I mean people are good, because they want to be as well, but with religion it's like "If you don't do this then you're going to hell" so everybody does it.

Repent your sins before it's too late, all of that. Why do people repent? Because they don't want to go to hell...because they're scared of God.

I know that was slightly repetetive and jumbled but that's just how my mind's working right now.

Nope, none of them are like that. They're good people not because they're scared of god, or because they want to be rewarded in heaven or anything like that. They're just good people. They have the common sence to know that if they're being good purely for the reason of being rewarded, then they're not really being good.
Flaming Phalanges!
Basket Case
Flaming Phalanges!
March 5th, 2007 at 08:21am
Have you actually sat down and found out everything about every single one of these people?

Would these people parade the fact that the reason they're good people is because they're scared of God? They wouldn't. You might know these people, but the chances are you don't know them.

So you can't really expect such a rash statement as 'I know 500 catholics and they're all good people because they want to be, not because they're scared of God'.

I mean lots of good people are good because they want to be, but when you're dealing with religion, you're good because it's what your religious beliefs or text tell you to do, And people won't disobey that because they believe their god(s) is/are right, and they will not disobey him because he's almighty and all what not.

So I'm not saying these people are selfishly good, but I'm saying it's a factor in the reasoning behind their goodness.
Plug In Baby.
Addict
Plug In Baby.
March 5th, 2007 at 08:36am
No, look, I know these people. You made a pretty rash statement yourself, by saying that christians are better people because they're scared of god. Have you sat down with them, talked with them, found out why they try to be better people? No. Because you don't know every christian in the world. But I know these people. I've grown up with these people. I think I do know when they're doing it because they want the reward at the end, and when they're doing it because they truely want to be a good person within themselves.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
March 5th, 2007 at 08:57am
So it isn't just me who has noticed this as well. I'm really sick of it. Like it's cool to insult someone's beliefs.
lyrical_mess
Falling In Love With The Board
lyrical_mess

Mibba Blog
March 5th, 2007 at 09:33am
Anji, being anti-Christian was really cool a few years ago. I used to go on the N.com and my god. Every other thread in the "Question Authority" forum was something like "I hate God." or "Religion is overrated." or "I'm leaving church forever." and a bunch of people would be like "YEAH!!!! AWESOME!!!!!!" and if someone dared to say "You should think about it. Church has taught me stuff." everyone else would get on his ass and tell him how lousy it was to believe in the Bible and that Wicca was the way to go.
Flaming Phalanges!
Basket Case
Flaming Phalanges!
March 5th, 2007 at 09:41am
Coff:
No, look, I know these people. You made a pretty rash statement yourself, by saying that christians are better people because they're scared of god. Have you sat down with them, talked with them, found out why they try to be better people? No. Because you don't know every christian in the world. But I know these people. I've grown up with these people. I think I do know when they're doing it because they want the reward at the end, and when they're doing it because they truely want to be a good person within themselves.

I didn't actually say every single christian is good because they're scared of god. But what I'm saying is, that god is a deterrent, just like a jail sentence is a deterrent for someone who might go out and commit a crime if there were no laws against it.

However, you said you know these 500 people and they're all completely angelic and they're good for all the right reasons. I'm sorry, but whether you've grown up with them or not, these people aren't going to just tell you how they feel. You cannot just say right, these 500 people, I say hi to them in the street, we get on, they're good people for the right reasons. Point is, you do not know these people inside out, and you'll never know someone inside out, so you can't just start saying that 500 people you know are good for the sake of being good, as opposed to following their religion because that's what they believe their god wants.

But are you telling me that if the bible said something completely bad, that these people would not take it for what it is, and carry out that. Like if it said disrespect thy mother and thy father, would they not follow that because they've been told to? Or would they go against their religion because it's a bad thing to do?

I'm just saying that god is a big deterrent to being bad, and he's like, one up from the police or whatever.
John Entwistle
Great Success!
John Entwistle
March 6th, 2007 at 10:13pm
I'm sick of all this shit about taking Christ out of Christmas. Christ is the reason we celebrate it. If it weren't for him being born there wouldn't be Christmas. If a Jewish person wanted to put a Menorah in their yard, I wouldn't care. They say that the USA has the freedom of religion, but I free like they trying to take my religion away. Christianity is one of the most popular religions. As for other religions, go a head and believe what you want. I'm not going to try to teach you what I believe. Just don't take my religion away from me. I don't care if your Muslim, Baptist, or Methodus; you can do want ever you want to represent your faith. I'm not going to stop you. So don't tell me I can't put a nativity set in front of my church or in my front yard.
Brendon Urie..
King For A Couple Of Days
Brendon Urie..

Mibba
March 6th, 2007 at 10:24pm
Diet Coke And Mentos:
I'm sick of all this shit about taking Christ out of Christmas. Christ is the reason we celebrate it. If it weren't for him being born there wouldn't be Christmas. If a Jewish person wanted to put a Menorah in their yard, I wouldn't care. They say that the USA has the freedom of religion, but I free like they trying to take my religion away. Christianity is one of the most popular religions. As for other religions, go a head and believe what you want. I'm not going to try to teach you what I believe. Just don't take my religion away from me. I don't care if your Muslim, Baptist, or Methodus; you can do want ever you want to represent your faith. I'm not going to stop you. So don't tell me I can't put a nativity set in front of my church or in my front yard.

Actually, Jesus was born in March.
We celebrate Christmas because of the Pagan Winter Solstice.
Christians tend to forget that all of their holidays have ties to Paganism.
anti-christ of suburbia
Idiot
anti-christ of suburbia

Mibba
March 7th, 2007 at 02:34am
i dont mind christians, i dont mind any religion. Just dont try and make me believe what you do. Most of my friends are christian and im fine with that so long as they dont try and ram it down my throat that im not like them.
Flaming Phalanges!
Basket Case
Flaming Phalanges!
March 7th, 2007 at 05:57am
Diet Coke And Mentos:

Hmm, you seem to be blaming other religions, when actually it's the government who are saying no you can't do this in case you upset these people.

At least that's what it's like over here. (UK)

Guy Fawkes night for example (it's a big thing in the UK, where we celebrate the capture of this guy who tried to blow up the houses of parliament in 1605...I think it was that year) anyway, last year in Tower Hamlets, instead of having the traditional bonfire and fireworks, they had a Bengali Folk Tale.

Where's the Guy Fawkes link? I'm sorry, it's like asking us to celebrate the birth of Guru Nanak at Easter!

But it does annoy me how people are like "Oh yeah, fuck religion, blah blah, I ain't religious" yet they're quite happy to receive presents at Christmas, and get Easter eggs at easter. It's all a bit contradictory if you ask me.
DateLine
Idiot
DateLine
March 7th, 2007 at 06:37am
To Flaming Phalanges! and her reasoning about how christians act good because they are scared of God.

The christians I know are not scared of God. Why would some one be scared of their creator, a man who loves us so much, he sent his only son down to die for us. To him, we are eternally greatful. And I totally spelt greatful wrong.

And just 'being good here' isn't going to get you a better reward in heaven. Believing that Jesus died for your sins, gets you the best reward - eternal life. If you do believe that, and read the Bible and go to church, you are more inclined to act like a better person, behave good, because of what they are reading and learning and being shown how to act as better people.

I know in the time that I ahve been getting closer to Christ, just reading and learning from leaders about Jesus and everything, it really shows you how to act like a better person, for all Jesus did for you.

" Because they don't want to go to hell...because they're scared of God."

Why be scared of God? This great man, who gave us life, who has promised you eternal life, who sacrificed his son for that. And yet be scared?
Flaming Phalanges!
Basket Case
Flaming Phalanges!
March 7th, 2007 at 06:44am
But this great man also causes a lot of pain if he's almighty, I mean, if he's the creator of everything, then it means he created illness and death and all sorts of shit that nobody who loves you would do.

I mean would your mother inject you with cancer? I don't think so.

At the end of the day, my view is (very cynical, probably) that people don't want to go to hell so they're a good person. I mean, the number of people that have told me I'm going to hell as I'm walking through town is insane. You know, the ones saying we should repent before it's too late.

Isn't that actually trying to scare me into becoming a christian? You're going to hell UNLESS you follow this religion. Seriously. I mean, there may be people out there who are good people because they want to be, and because they think it's right and expect absolutely nothing in return. But are you telling me that every single person who calls themself a christian is completely unselfish?
John Entwistle
Great Success!
John Entwistle
March 7th, 2007 at 11:52am
druscilla_nesser:
Diet Coke And Mentos:

Well, we actually don't know that exact date Chirst was born. It probably wasn't in December, but that's when my religion celebrates his birth.
John Entwistle
Great Success!
John Entwistle
March 7th, 2007 at 11:54am
<3BlackRoseOfDeath:
To Flaming Phalanges! and her reasoning about how christians act good because they are scared of God.

The christians I know are not scared of God. Why would some one be scared of their creator, a man who loves us so much, he sent his only son down to die for us. To him, we are eternally greatful. And I totally spelt greatful wrong.

And just 'being good here' isn't going to get you a better reward in heaven. Believing that Jesus died for your sins, gets you the best reward - eternal life. If you do believe that, and read the Bible and go to church, you are more inclined to act like a better person, behave good, because of what they are reading and learning and being shown how to act as better people.

I know in the time that I ahve been getting closer to Christ, just reading and learning from leaders about Jesus and everything, it really shows you how to act like a better person, for all Jesus did for you.

" Because they don't want to go to hell...because they're scared of God."

Why be scared of God? This great man, who gave us life, who has promised you eternal life, who sacrificed his son for that. And yet be scared?

Amen to that. I totally agree.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
March 7th, 2007 at 12:06pm
You have to fear the Lord though. You always hear this in baroque music. 'Adore Him, praise Him, bless Him, love Him,' then 'fear Him' for His power is almighty.

In the end, it helps people be nicer to one another.
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
March 7th, 2007 at 12:08pm
druscilla_nesser:

When did people start celebrating Christmas?
I mean, the Pagans were Europeans, yah?. And the early Christianity was obviously coming from the middle east. It makes me wonder how a middle-eastern religion ended up with European festival dates. Hmm.
Register