King For A Couple Of Days
Ol' Blue Eyes.

Mibba
December 5th, 2007 at 03:59am
Herr Doktor:
Ol' Blue Eyes.:
Herr Doktor:
Misanthropist:
My step mum told me that in the bible it says that aborted babies are stuck in limbo. I was just wondering if anyone knew the exact quote where the bible states/references this.
There isn't. Just searched the Bible. Not a mention of Limbo. Or what happens to children. Just Heaven and Hell.
You searched the entire Bible? *impressed*
Shifty You shouldn't be all that impressed, to be honest.

If you go to www.rhymezone.com and search for quotations in the Bible, it'll show you all the pages with the word you are looking for. Mr. Green Total cheater.
omgno Molly

That's depressing to me. I don't think anyone actually reads the Bible anymore.
The Doctor
Falling In Love With The Board
The Doctor

Mibba Blog
December 5th, 2007 at 01:58pm
Ol' Blue Eyes.:
omgno Molly

I like to sometimes. Especially when Jesus gets crucified in the Gospel according to Matthew. Dunno why I just like that. And the first few books of the Old.

I just didn't have the time to actually read the entire Bible to say...otherwise I might have had to revive this topic many months into the future.
Ol' Blue Eyes.
Ol' Blue Eyes.

Mibba
December 6th, 2007 at 02:13am
Herr Doktor:
Ol' Blue Eyes.:
omgno Molly

I like to sometimes. Especially when Jesus gets crucified in the Gospel according to Matthew. Dunno why I just like that. And the first few books of the Old.

I just didn't have the time to actually read the entire Bible to say...otherwise I might have had to revive this topic many months into the future.
I honestly don't think anyone has respect for religion anymore in the younger generations. I mean, all the more devoutly religious people I know are older then I am. Most people my age and younger may believe in a higher power, but they don't actually follow a religion.
The Doctor
The Doctor

Mibba Blog
December 6th, 2007 at 02:08pm
Ol' Blue Eyes.:
I honestly don't think anyone has respect for religion anymore in the younger generations. I mean, all the more devoutly religious people I know are older then I am. Most people my age and younger may believe in a higher power, but they don't actually follow a religion.

As humanity gets older, respect for authority and sacred things decrease. Therefore, in about one hundred years it'll be complete anarchy. I think anyway.
Ol' Blue Eyes.
Ol' Blue Eyes.

Mibba
December 7th, 2007 at 12:45am
Herr Doktor:
Ol' Blue Eyes.:

As humanity gets older, respect for authority and sacred things decrease. Therefore, in about one hundred years it'll be complete anarchy. I think anyway.
Don

In a way, I envy my grandparents their faith. I wish I could believe in something so strongly.
The Doctor
The Doctor

Mibba Blog
December 7th, 2007 at 03:37pm
Ol' Blue Eyes.:
Don

In a way, I envy my grandparents their faith. I wish I could believe in something so strongly.
Mmm. There was a case of some rural village in France where they all lived very puritan and old-style lives (like...living in the early 1500s but the actual times were around late 1800s) and because they were so bound to their faith and other stuff, they could 'see' the sermon.

Lots of artists went there to experiance it.
Mass-suicide
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
Mass-suicide
December 13th, 2007 at 01:42am
Religion is someone thinking the "god" talked to them as in dreams
The people!! they take it to far like to far
WE HUMANS WRECKED EVERTHING!
Ol' Blue Eyes.
Ol' Blue Eyes.

Mibba
December 13th, 2007 at 06:43am
Mass-suicide:

Um. You're way off.

Mirriam-Webster Dictionary:
religion 1. a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, esp. when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.
2. a specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generally agreed upon by a number of persons or sects: the Christian religion; the Buddhist religion.

Nowhere does that mention people being spoken to by any god in their dreams. While it is mentioned in the Bible, and most likely in other religious texts, a religion is much more than the dreams of one person.
The Doctor
The Doctor

Mibba Blog
December 13th, 2007 at 11:45am
Mass-suicide:
I thought that was termed schizophrenia? Or insanity.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
December 13th, 2007 at 11:50am
Ol' Blue Eyes.:
Herr Doktor:
Ol' Blue Eyes.:

Don

It's just with Christianity, to be honest.

Islamism is spreading and the youths are sometimes even more devout than their parents. It's a very demanding religion to, in general.
Ol' Blue Eyes.
Ol' Blue Eyes.

Mibba
December 13th, 2007 at 12:27pm
Anji:

Islamism is spreading and the youths are sometimes even more devout than their parents. It's a very demanding religion to, in general.
Or perhaps it's mostly America? Not to be stereotypical, but in my experiance, most of the teenagers/young adults I meet in this country have no affinity to any religion in particular and simply live according to their own belief structure. I don't find anything wrong with that, but I wonder if it's indicative of something greater?
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
December 13th, 2007 at 02:10pm
Ol' Blue Eyes.:
Anji:

Or perhaps it's mostly America? Not to be stereotypical, but in my experiance, most of the teenagers/young adults I meet in this country have no affinity to any religion in particular and simply live according to their own belief structure. I don't find anything wrong with that, but I wonder if it's indicative of something greater?
The same is happenning with Christians in Korea. It's definately something of developed countries. Because as Karl Marx said, 'Religion is the opiate of the masses'. Here in Thailand, Buddhism is a huge part of everyone's lives too. Lots of kids love showing off their...I don't know how to say it in english, it's like their blessing, they have these stones that monks bless, and people wear them as necklaces for like good luck. Yeah, and just recently my some of my friends have finished their monkhood thing, because if you're Thai, when you're 16 you can choose to join the army or be a monk or none of them. Surprisingly, considering it's not mandatory, many kids choose to join the army or become monks and nuns. Some of my friends have come back to school from the temples because they've like finished their journey or whatever.
Ol' Blue Eyes.
Ol' Blue Eyes.

Mibba
December 14th, 2007 at 03:12am
Anji:
Ol' Blue Eyes.:
Anji:

The same is happenning with Christians in Korea. It's definately something of developed countries. Because as Karl Marx said, 'Religion is the opiate of the masses'. Here in Thailand, Buddhism is a huge part of everyone's lives too. Lots of kids love showing off their...I don't know how to say it in english, it's like their blessing, they have these stones that monks bless, and people wear them as necklaces for like good luck. Yeah, and just recently my some of my friends have finished their monkhood thing, because if you're Thai, when you're 16 you can choose to join the army or be a monk or none of them. Surprisingly, considering it's not mandatory, many kids choose to join the army or become monks and nuns. Some of my friends have come back to school from the temples because they've like finished their journey or whatever.
I've always been extrememly interested in Buddhism.

And you see, I envy those kids. Among the people I go to school with, being extremely religious is frowned upon, and people tend to dismiss you if you're a serious Christian, Jew, etc, etc. It's as if they think that by believing in a higher power, you are somehow less intelligent then them.
Komischer
Jackass
Komischer
December 15th, 2007 at 05:04pm
This morning, I told my mom that I was confused about my faith and that I might think that Jesus wasn't our saviour. She started crying and flipping out. I told her that I wasn't sure yet, and it was nothing to cry about. It's just that all of these "gun-ho" christians and their "Got God" shirts and preaching in the middle of the hallway has made me turned off to being catholic or christian or anything like that.

My mom said she was crying because I won't be with her in heaven because I'm not saved without Jesus. I told her again that I was still making up my mind and that I would probably end up believeing, but I just need to mull it over more and do some soul searching. I just don't know. I think I do believe, and I'm trying my hardest to convince myself of it.
Richard Nixon.
Banned
Richard Nixon.
December 15th, 2007 at 05:36pm
Mass-suicide:

I have no clue what you just said.
It's not even misanthropic, just idiotic.

And as for religion it's my personal belief that it's a crutch for people, something they can place their belief in and faith in, something that is infallible unlike we are.
People have corrupted the basic idea of religion but I would rather be left out of it and not told how to be saved or anything. Though there's nothing wrong in discussing beliefs, it's great for debating but once people start getting really personal about it and try to convert everyone it's no fun any more.
Sherlock
Board Parasite
Sherlock
December 18th, 2007 at 11:29am
I don't know if anyone has heard about this, but the Church are kicking up a fuss over The Golden Compass film, which I have seen and thus far doesn't seem to be any kind of allegory of religion.. but anyway, here is an example of a leaflet printed about it at one of my friend's local churches.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THE GOLDEN COMPASS: What's the Big Deal??

Many of you may have recently heard or read that there are Catholic organizations and writers who are warning people against the movie, The Golden Compass. The movie comes out on December 7th and is an adaptation of a book of the same name. As a parent, it can be hard to tell whether a movie, especially one that looks innocent and interesting from the previews, might actually be harmful to your children. I would like to share with you what I have discovered about the story that the movie and the book tell so that you are able to make an informed decision for your family.
Stories are a huge part of how we learn, and of how we are entertained. We laugh with comedies, cry with romances and are moved by drama. But even stories that entertain have their own lessons. If you think about any movie you could probably identify the "moral of the story". Comedy, romance, drama - every type of story draws you into the characters' lives to teach something: make the right choices, persevere to achieve your dreams, accept responsibility for your actions, true love requires sacrifices, etc.
A good story draws you into a world it has created by connecting you to the characters. If the author is good, you take on the characters' view of the world which changes through the story so that the character, and you, become a different (hopefully better) person by the end. You accompany the characters in trials, failures, and successes. You can relate to them and somehow, you experience what they experience. The goal is that at the end of the story you will have learned the lesson the characters have learned. Authors use stories to teach a lesson by making you feel that you are a part of the story.
So when you are deciding whether a story is right for your family, you need to know what kind of world the author will present to you and what lessons the characters learn - because if the author has done his job well, that is the lesson readers or viewers will be learning.
The Golden Compass is based on the first book of a trilogy called His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman. In this trilogy, the characters live in a world where not only Christian authorities, but Christianity itself is an oppressive lie. The journey the characters travel is a quest for freedom from that lie. By the end of the trilogy, they journey to their own Garden of Eden, to their own "tree of the knowledge of Good and Evil", to their own encounter with a "serpent". What their journey teaches them is that Original Sin was not sin at all, but a liberating event, the beginning of wisdom, and just part of growing up. What their journey teaches them is that the serpent was right, when in Genesis he said to Eve: "you will certainly not die, but become like gods who know good and evil." In the books, the serpent is right and God is a liar. In the books, disobeying God means becoming free because he is not who he claims to be. In the books, the Church has misinterpreted the "Garden of Eden" story for its own evil ends.
So why is that dangerous for readers? The world the books invite you to has no need for a Savior. "Sorry you went to all that trouble," someone from this world might say to Jesus, "but your death was meaningless. We're just fine without you." The trilogy takes the reader through a journey which leads the characters to throw off not only the Church's authority, not only morality, but the very reality of our need for Jesus Christ.
At the very beginning of the Gospel - the Christian story that God has been writing throughout all of history - is the fall of mankind through Adam & Eve's sin. If, as Pullman claims, humanity did not fall in the Garden, what reason is there for the Bible, for Jesus, for the Sacraments, for prayer, for the Church that Jesus founded to be a source of His grace and mercy?
We have to remember that Jesus came to save us from sin. He did not come just so we could feel good, or have empty rituals or a weekly social club. He did not come to create a perfect religious institution that everyone would agree with. He came to open the door for sinners to a new life and a new relationship with Himself, the Father and the Holy Spirit. He came to save us specifically from the sin of Adam and Eve, from our fallen nature which has sent us, our relationships with ourselves, each other, God and even the physical world, into chaos. Jesus was tempted in the garden before the crucifixion to show that He is the new Adam. He faces the serpent's temptation again on our behalf and He defeats him for us. By responding with obedience to the Father, Jesus prevails and the fallen nature we were born with is redeemed and transformed through the rebirth of Baptism.
Anyone who accepts the worldview that these books present would rightly have a hard time understanding the point of Christianity. if the first Adam did nothing wrong then we can all stop going to Mass and tell Jesus politely - thanks anyway, but we don't need any of this. What you have to decide as a parent is whether you want to invite this influence into your home. "But," you might say, "we just won't let them read the books. if the movie doesn't go into all that, why shouldn't my children see it?" The movie, which is based on the first book, will certainly not go into all of this detail which is developed throughout all three books. But it will still draw its viewers into the world the books create, even if not to the same depth. Also, there are most likely bits and pieces in the movie of what is fully explained in the books. Make an informed decision. We should not be afraid of reading/watching things that challenge what we believe. But as parents, you have the responsibility to know your child and what he/she can or cannot handle without becoming confused or believing what the characters in the movie believe. Bottom line - it's probably not worth the trouble when you could be spending your time watching an other entertaining movie that is not based on a story full of atheistic beliefs and principles.
May God bless you as you guide your family in prayer and faith, into a deeper relationship with His Son Jesus, our Savior. May we all take this Advent season to allow Jesus more and more into our hearts and lives. May the Holy Spirit grant us wisdom, that we will always be aware of anything that might confuse us, or seek to lead us or our families away from faith in our loving Father God Who wanted so much to be with us that He sent His Son to die for our sins.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know I don't agree with religion being used as a set of blinkers for what children are exposed to. I believe they should be allowed access to all the information they want, and able to make up their own minds.

What do you guys think?
The Doctor
The Doctor

Mibba Blog
December 18th, 2007 at 04:09pm
I think that a movie is just a movie. Not every kid who watches it will turn atheist. Most will just be like "OMG POLAR BEARS!". Just like not every kid turns into a witch or wizard when they watch Harry Potter or want to go kill old, evil people if they watch Snow White.

Besides, in the end, it will be the kid's choice to believe in something or not. Start stopping them from watching films at an age where they can understand what is going on, they will not take it as Rod and Todd would.

Thats' all I got to say, tbh.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
December 18th, 2007 at 04:43pm
Then again, many people would think that about The Beatles' songs until Charles Manson somehow thought that they told him to perform some sort of enthic cleasing thing and kill Sharon Tate.
The Doctor
The Doctor

Mibba Blog
December 18th, 2007 at 05:10pm
Anji:
Then again, many people would think that about The Beatles' songs until Charles Manson somehow thought that they told him to perform some sort of enthic cleasing thing and kill Sharon Tate.
One guy out of Christ knows how many listeners.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
December 18th, 2007 at 05:25pm
Herr Doktor:
Anji:
One guy out of Christ knows how many listeners.
He did manage to brainwash a barrage of others as well.
Register