Faith
Addict
Faith
January 13th, 2006 at 04:45pm
You know guys, I'll just tell you this:
I did not have to go to a lawyer for my marriage, my wedding ceremony cost me:
Marriage license - $25
Ceremony - $10
I don’t have to bring my lawyer and a shitload of papers to the hospital if I need to make a decision about my husband’s health, I don’t have to spend extra money and nerve cells on giving my spouse the right that he already has from being legally bound to me. I don’t have to write a special will to guarantee that my spouse gets what he’s supposed to get by law anyway.
Why can’t gay couples have that? Because they are gay??? Evolution, hello??
darkmagick1002
Geek
darkmagick1002
January 13th, 2006 at 04:54pm
Faith:
Marriage license - $25
Ceremony - $10
I don’t have to bring my lawyer and a shitload of papers to the hospital if I need to make a decision about my husband’s health, I don’t have to spend extra money and nerve cells on giving my spouse the right that he already has from being legally bound to me. I don’t have to write a special will to guarantee that my spouse gets what he’s supposed to get by law anyway.

THANK YOU!!!!! Clap
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
January 13th, 2006 at 04:57pm
...Also, one point to consider is that it isn't just the legal issues that matter. There are emotional issues too, many people will appreciate the emotional security that comes with being married.
NeoSteph
Basket Case
NeoSteph

Mibba Blog
January 13th, 2006 at 05:08pm
stop with the quote pyramids, than bandwith is stretched as it is.
Faith
Addict
Faith
January 13th, 2006 at 05:09pm
Bloodraine:
...Also, one point to consider is that it isn't just the legal issues that matter. There are emotional issues too, many people will appreciate the emotional security that comes with being married.

Exactly. If I just want to be married to the one I love, why can't I? I'm not talking about the religious thing, I mean getting the marriage certificate and being perceived as a married couple. If I love someone I should have the right to be married to them, whether our sexes match or not.
Nine_Inch_Nails
Falling In Love With The Board
Nine_Inch_Nails
January 13th, 2006 at 05:16pm
NeoSteph:
stop with the quote pyramids, than bandwith is stretched as it is.

I already told 'em dude Cool
spill_no_sick
spill_no_sick
January 13th, 2006 at 06:30pm
Faith:
Marriage license - $25
Ceremony - $10
where the hell did you get those statistics?
marriage CERTIFICATES cost $25 (in certain states, others are like $50)
and how much will your lawyer charge for calling her up and saying, "if I'm in the hospital I want this person to have control over my life"?
I never gave dollar amounts because I didn't know them, if you don't either don't give them
seriously; don't be misleading, I never gave
spill_no_sick
spill_no_sick
January 13th, 2006 at 06:32pm
Bloodraine:
there's emotional security in having your lover live with you and own half your stuff and be in control of your life when you aren't

you can have everything but the title "married"
NeoSteph
Basket Case
NeoSteph

Mibba Blog
January 13th, 2006 at 06:34pm
Many religions in Africa and the Middle East not only see homosexuality as a sin, but a crime and the penalty is death.

Your all arguing about the title 'marriage' when their are others in similar situations whose life is on the line because of their life choice.

have a bit of perspective people!
Nine_Inch_Nails
Nine_Inch_Nails
January 13th, 2006 at 06:36pm
spill_no_sick:
Faith:
Marriage license - $25
Ceremony - $10
and how much will your lawyer charge for calling her up and saying, "if I'm in the hospital I want this person to have control over my life"?
I never gave dollar amounts because I didn't know them, if you don't either don't give them

She said that was what her wedding cost her..not what it costs everyone else.
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
January 14th, 2006 at 02:51pm
spill_no_sick:
Bloodraine:
there's emotional security in having your lover live with you and own half your stuff and be in control of your life when you aren't

The title is important. It is showing your relationship to the world as being stable and secure, it is making a statement.
Faith
Addict
Faith
January 14th, 2006 at 05:06pm
Nine_Inch_Nails:
spill_no_sick:
Faith:
Marriage license - $25
Ceremony - $10

MY marriage license cost $25, MY wedding ceremony cost $10. Want a receipt or something?
And just so you know, you can't buy a marriage certificate - you get a marriage license, and after the ceremony it becomes a marriage certificate. STFW next time.
And lawyers don't work for free, you know. Any call to the lawyer is money. I don't have a lawyer. Now if I was to marry a woman, why would I have to get a lawyer to set things up the way heterosexual couples have them by default?
Faith
Addict
Faith
January 14th, 2006 at 05:09pm
Bloodraine:
spill_no_sick:
Bloodraine:

The title is important. It is showing your relationship to the world as being stable and secure, it is making a statement.

Absolutely.
spill_no_sick
spill_no_sick
January 14th, 2006 at 11:13pm
Faith:
Nine_Inch_Nails:
spill_no_sick:
Faith:
Marriage license - $25
Ceremony - $10

MY marriage license cost $25, MY wedding ceremony cost $10. Want a receipt or something?
And just so you know, you can't buy a marriage certificate - you get a marriage license, and after the ceremony it becomes a marriage certificate. STFW next time.
And lawyers don't work for free, you know. Any call to the lawyer is money. I don't have a lawyer. Now if I was to marry a woman, why would I have to get a lawyer to set things up the way heterosexual couples have them by default?
certificates and liscences are two different things
I looked it up, the liscence in my state is $25; the certificate varies with age

and MOST people drop hundreds or thousands of dollars for a marriage ceremony and wedding

and: if you love them enough why would you go back because of lawyer costs? they get the title of: "in charge of your fucking LIFE!"; is "married" somehow better?
spill_no_sick
spill_no_sick
January 14th, 2006 at 11:17pm
and homosexuals should go to a lawyer instead of bbeing married because marriage is for a man and a woman

and, MOST marriages have a six month engagement beforehand, lots of planning stress and money go into them.....it's probably the same amount of work (if not less) to request stuff with a lawyer

ALSO: most things you don't even need a lawyer for, your living will just has to be a piece of paper; the lawyer just has to be aware of it (no money involved, my dad worked with this all the time, they didn't drop any extra fee money); almost anything else is the same

so they are not treated just like heterosexuals; but the benifits do even out and it isn't anything to bitch over (in my opinion; but it's 2006 and people will find a way to bitch)
Faith
Addict
Faith
January 14th, 2006 at 11:27pm
spill_no_sick:

and MOST people drop hundreds or thousands of dollars for a marriage ceremony and wedding

and: if you love them enough why would you go back because of lawyer costs? they get the title of: "in charge of your fucking LIFE!"; is "married" somehow better?

My marriage certificate says "Marriage license and certificate" - it's a marriage license, and efter the ceremony it becomes the certificate. "Buying" the marriage certificate is paying for the ceremony.
People choose to pay hundreds, but they don't have to.

And whatever you say about loving someone enough to pay the money and get a lawyer and all that shit, it doesn't change the fact that people are forced to deal with all this just because they can't go and get married.
Being "married" is not the same thing as "We have papers to prove that this person is in controle of my life and will inherit everything when I die". I can go to a lawyer and give control over my life to my sister, but that won't make us married.
If the couple had to choose between marriage and all that lawyer shit that you keep trying to prove to be sufficient - what do you think they would choose?
Faith
Addict
Faith
January 14th, 2006 at 11:30pm
spill_no_sick:
and homosexuals should go to a lawyer instead of bbeing married because marriage is for a man and a woman

and, MOST marriages have a six month engagement beforehand, lots of planning stress and money go into them.....it's probably the same amount of work (if not less) to request stuff with a lawyer

ALSO: most things you don't even need a lawyer for, your living will just has to be a piece of paper; the lawyer just has to be aware of it (no money involved, my dad worked with this all the time, they didn't drop any extra fee money); almost anything else is the same

so they are not treated just like heterosexuals; but the benifits do even out and it isn't anything to bitch over (in my opinion; but it's 2006 and people will find a way to bitch)

I don't have a lawyer, will it not cost me anything to get one?
I didn't have a six month engagement, all tht crap is optional.
Why are they not treated like heterosexuals? Because of stupid close-minded descrimination.
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
January 15th, 2006 at 06:40am
spill_no_sick:
I looked it up, the liscence in my state is $25; the certificate varies with age

I think she knows what she's talking about...

In any case, would you feel happier if we stopped talking about 'Marriages' and continued our discussion on 'Civil Unions'?...

Also, It isn't a case of 'Loving them enough'. Some people just don't have the money. Some people just can't afford it. Some people need the money for greater causes. God forbid, we will ever start measuring love by our bank balances.
spill_no_sick
spill_no_sick
January 15th, 2006 at 11:31am
Faith:
spill_no_sick:

I don't have a lawyer, will it not cost me anything to get one?
I didn't have a six month engagement, all tht crap is optional.
Why are they not treated like heterosexuals? Because of stupid close-minded descrimination.

you followed a rhetorical question by being insulting and calling people close-minded
three cheers for parodox

it's not close-minded anyway; have I not tried to see your point of veiw?
it's not descrimination either, I've gone through the history of it plenty of times; marriage began as love, now it is a matter of Civil Unions
I know it is optional; noticed I put MOST in all caps

and if you don't have a lawyer you can file the will (all firemen are required to have a will, not all firemen have lawyers....see how you don't need a lawyer? I just use that as an example because you'll be better off using one if you have one.)
if you don't have the lawyer you can have some evidence to where it is unanimous in a court trial what you want (everything I've heard from you all can be written down in a fashion, taken to court, and shown that you all have all the rights of a married couple; right now the only right I'm not sure can be duplicated is the pre-nup....but that's for protection against assholes taking advantage of Civil Unions.)

quit saying "homosexuals are treated different"; you make it seem like everyone but them is treated perfectly
EVERYONE'S treated different; many heterosexuals won't get married but get these rights
(I don't know her name) but that girl from Sex and the City and her boyfriend of fifteen years had it (until she dumped him and went for some female teacher....but I'll be damned if they hadn't worked out something already)

so homosexuals aren't treated just like married couples; I'll agree with that
but if marriage were taken away from everybody we could all still get the rights, we could all love each other, we could all move in; I know you're probably the only married person on this site but for legal purposes, "Civil Union" (since marriage has nothing to do with love anymore I'll just start calling it that) is available to everyone; even if they don't get their Brownie Badge for it that says, "Civil Unionised"
spill_no_sick
spill_no_sick
January 15th, 2006 at 11:32am
Bloodraine:
spill_no_sick:

I think she knows what she's talking about...

In any case, would you feel happier if we stopped talking about 'Marriages' and continued our discussion on 'Civil Unions'?...

Also, It isn't a case of 'Loving them enough'. Some people just don't have the money. Some people just can't afford it. Some people need the money for greater causes. God forbid, we will ever start measuring love by our bank balances.
that was a response to her saying something like, "homosexuals don't deserve the hassle of paying a lawyer" or something to that effect

please NEVER take anything I say out of context, I would appreciate that
Register