Do You Think Praying Works?

AuthorMessage
iViva la Andrea!
Geek
iViva la Andrea!
September 12th, 2009 at 05:50pm
I already said there's no way to prove it. I'm not sure you're why you're repeating me.

Saying that prayer is a waste of time is saying the very thing you condemned others for saying. I just don't understand how you can justify you having every right to voice your opinion on the matter but then saying others can't logically do the same.
Squid.
King For A Couple Of Days
Squid.

Blog
September 12th, 2009 at 08:31pm
Please, quote where I say that people can't voice their opinion.

I clearly said,
That you can't say it does or that it doesn't.
I didn't say that you can't voice what your veiw on the situation is,
I just said that we really can't say "Oh yes it does"
Or "No it does not"
It's just something that will always be there.
Belive it, or don't, you can't say the other is wrong,

I SAID, I found it a waste of time, and I don't have faith in it, but I never said that was proven, and that I am just right and anyone who thinks otherwise is just wrong.

I think it's a waste, and have no faith in it, but I can't say that's right.

You think that it is real? I think? Excuse me if I am wrong...and you don't, but either way you can't say that you're right.

Do you now understand, can you grasp what I am saying, or do I need to once again run you through it?

I never stated that no one else has the right to voice their thoughts, I just said that no one can say it's right, no one can say it's wrong, it's real, it's fake, it works, it doesn't.

As I Have Said,
IT DEPENDS ON WHO YOU ARE, WHAT YOU BELIEVE AND HOW YOU LIVE.

THINK AS YOU PLEASE, VOICE WHAT YOU BELIEVE,
BUT NO ONE CAN SAY IT'S REAL, NO ONE CAN SAY IT'S FAKE.

Hope you get it this time.
;]
iViva la Andrea!
Geek
iViva la Andrea!
September 13th, 2009 at 07:28am
*Facepalm*

I think you should probably take your own advice.

You are directly repeating things I have said in an attempt to start a fight.

I grasped what you were saying the first time you said it, you, however, seem to be having a bit of trouble with what both of us are saying.

Saying that it's a waste of time is the equivelent of saying it doesn't work. Calling a religion that many people deeply believe in "false advertising" is offensive and rude. Calling prayer a waste of time and calling a religion false advertising is saying that it doesn't work and the religion is wrong, which completely contradicts what you have said about people not being able to say it's right or wrong, it works or it doesn't work- because you just said prayer does not work and that religion is all FALSE advertisement. By calling it FALSE, you therefore said it is lies and it is wrong. Therefore implying that what said religion believes in is not right.
And then you say that NO ONE can say it's real and NO ONE can say it's fake.
That is a complete contradiction.
And to smile and wink when you call something that many, many people believe in is rude, immature and condescending.

Also, you are under the impression that I am a Christian.
Would you mind telling me what gave you that impression?
Nobody has asked me my religious beliefs, and I have not expressed them- if I even have any. All I have said is that you are contradicting yourself. And that prayer works if you believe it works, and if you don't believe it works, you're going to be able to justify anything. How is it that you are able to get from a few simple words that do not express my personal faith such a complex thing about me (or anybody, really)? You can't. You are simply assuming because I have recognized contradictions that I must disagree with you.

I am again not sure why you are repeating me.
I also think it would do you well to read the rules, because you really need to understand and comprehend what debate is. It's not about you trying to be the most condescending and bratty.
And while you're at it, read the title of this actual thread. When people reply with "yes" or "no," they are replying to the question "do you THINK praying works?" That is not what you did. You just came right out and insulted an entire religion because it happens to be something you disagree with.

I am tired of repeating myself, and I am tired of you repeating me, if you don't want to admit you condescended yourself that's fine, but trying to make you see that very obvious thing is getting very tedius and tiresome- so have fun with your temper tantrums, if anyone has anything intelligent to say, I'd love to read it. Smile
Peace.
Daydream-believer
Jackass
Daydream-believer
September 13th, 2009 at 12:53pm
i never used to pray but when my mum got cancer i found myself praying alot and she got better so im not saying it was to do with me praying for her but i like to think i helped Smile
Squid.
Squid.

Blog
September 14th, 2009 at 07:02pm
iViva la Andrea!....
You make no point here.

You just enjoy fighting.

You can't say it works or doesn't.
I can't either.

I can say I thinks it's false,
I can say I think it's a waste.

You can say it's real.
You can say it's worth the time.

It's not rude to say what I said,
Because then it would be rude for you to say it does.

I insulted no one, I GAVE MY ANSWER,
Which obviously implies, no is my answer.

It wasn't rude,
And I insulted no one.
Because my sister is part of this religion, and she has never taken it as a insult for my saying that, when it's MY BELIEF.

I gave more to my answer then just yes, or no,
As has everyone.
I haven't contradicted myself, at all.
I simple gave my thoughts, then also stated how none of us are right, or wrong,
So NO ONE CAN SAY IT'S RIGHT OR WRONG,
It, once again, depends on life, belifes, and how you live.

Never said that people weren't free to state there opinion,
Never insulted anyone,
Never insulted a relighion.

You just, like I have said, like to fight.
And I don't have the time to deal with your imature argument,
So grow up, and deal with my not having the faith in prayer, and go on with your faith.
But either way, you, nor I can say it works, or does not.
So I am done.
iViva la Andrea!
Geek
iViva la Andrea!
September 14th, 2009 at 07:12pm
Would you mind telling me what my faith is, since you seem to know it? I apparently don't?

Saying that something that has saved many people's lives is false advertisement is rude and offensive. Plain and simple.

Everything else you said was just repeating me, so it's not really worth saying again. Smile Clap

By the way, why do you write everything in poetry form? Just curious.

You're tired of being called out on insults and contradictions, I'm tired of repeating myself, so just answer the one last question. What is my faith? Okay, two last questions. How do you know what my faith is?
Squid.
Squid.

Blog
September 14th, 2009 at 07:19pm
I am not tired of it, because that's not the case.
I am tired of a pointless fight, over my opinions, when this is here for me to list
My opinions, equal as everyone else,
It isn't rude at all, you're just being sensative, to complain more.

Never said what yoyr belifes are, ust used you as a example, for someone who does is all.

And I just type like this,
Because its part of some disorder I have, if you must know.
iViva la Andrea!
Geek
iViva la Andrea!
September 14th, 2009 at 07:21pm
o.O

Who does what?
Share my beliefs? Which you don't know.

Interesting. Right. Okay. Makes total sense.

Or I'm just being honest and saying things as I see them. Disagreeing with you doesn't mean I'm a drama addict. It means I have a different opinion and I respect the beliefs of other people. Seems like you need to take a good, hard, long look in the mirror.

Buh bye now.
Squid.
Squid.

Blog
September 14th, 2009 at 07:28pm
Who does what? Makes no sense.
I never said I knew them ;]

Yeah, I do, kay.
Going to be rude about it.
lmao...sure.

I have different opinions, and I still respect others,
Never attaked anyone for what they said about there belifes yet, have I?
Oh, no.
But you have.
;]

So yeah.
Bye.
The end.
The Last Firstborn.
Addict
The Last Firstborn.
September 18th, 2009 at 11:42pm
I would say, that, to the individual, anything is susceptible to happen. They can believe prayer works and a deity could intercede on their behalf, or not. My argument is more on the skeptical side. I would state that prayer is a sense of guard, or safeness to that person. While to someone who doesn't pray feels nothing or pity for those who pray.
Squid.
Squid.

Blog
October 15th, 2009 at 05:08pm
I think praying is just false hope.
Willow
Geek
Willow
October 31st, 2009 at 08:38pm
prayer works if it's your steering wheel and not your spare tire.
ZukoAlone
Idiot
ZukoAlone
November 1st, 2009 at 11:23pm
I dont pray very much anymore but I do have A LOT of faith. More than my very religious mother who prays everyday, she's even admits that to me.
And that's what helps me, and when I really need it, I ask God to speak to me [through The Bible] and He does amazingly and I'm forever grateful. [:
Aliiiiii.
Aliiiiii.
November 2nd, 2009 at 03:17pm
Willow:
prayer works if it's your steering wheel and not your spare tire.

That's a really awesome way of putting it.

My opinion has changed recently... I recently had to go on some quite long flights, from the UK to visit family in the States and back again.

I had to fly back from the States on my own (and I was terrified) and I found that thinking that something was looking out for me helped... I used my 'please let this be okay!' mantra and I really, genuinely felt like something was keeping me okay.

Also, things always seem to work in my favour. Even when things are really, horribly bleh, they seem to work out. So I can't really help but think that hoping and asking for things to be okay might work... but maybe that's optimism as opposed to prayer? I dunno.

I've always thought of myself as not really very religous, but I think I'm pretty spiritual. I can't describe the difference properly though!
Mr.Armstrong
Falling In Love With The Board
Mr.Armstrong
December 15th, 2009 at 05:16pm
Umm not for me i dont belive in God...........
wanderlust
Addict
wanderlust

Mibba Blog
December 15th, 2009 at 05:56pm
It just depends on whether you personally believe, imo.
Like, if you want something to happen really badly, and it does, a religious person will say its because they prayed for it, and a non religious person will say it just happened out of fate, or whatever.
SARAnade
SARAnade
December 15th, 2009 at 11:55pm
This is so intense. i created this topic almost 4 years ago. i cant believe its still on here. after all the reconfiguration of the site! wow. i know its unrelated. but still im amazed right now. k so continue with the discussion.....
stilinski
stilinski

Blog
December 16th, 2009 at 11:48am
One of my ex-classmates from secondary school is quite religious, and the other day, she got an acceptance letter from a college she had sent an application to. And she got into the program she wanted.
She was thanking the Lord and such.

I found it slightly awakward. But in a way, I also thought that she was underestimating herself that way. I mean...if she got in, it's not because she prayed, is it? It's because she studied and has good grades.
Aliiiiii.
Aliiiiii.
December 18th, 2009 at 08:20am
^ That's a very valid point. Maybe she felt like she needed the support? But I never thought about it in that way, it's very interesting.
kuragari teishu
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
kuragari teishu
December 19th, 2009 at 02:27pm
Nada.:
I think praying is just false hope.

I dont see how praying is false hope, see i personally am agnostic, i dont believe in a certain reliogion but i feel there is a higher type of power, but thats just me.

But i do feel that praying is useful, praying is a way to get all of your feelings out without being judged and without a sense of guilt, while i dont want people to pray in the hopes that something will happen because if it doesnt then it will hurt you.

but i feel that praying to express your feelings and to keep true to your faith is a very noble thing and i appluad the people that have faith and keep true to it

thats my input on the matter, if you feel you misunderstand something or have a questions feel free to reply
Register